PDA

View Full Version : Drugs and Alcohol

therealbulldogs
08-04-2002, 10:25 PM
I am just curious if there is any other schools out there that have had the same problems Bandera has had last year and this next year. We have had some good players getting in trouble for drugs and alcohol. It has just been a real problem in Bandera recently. This coming up season EVERYONE has to have physicals and more extensive drug tests, not just peeing in a cup. Do any other schools have this problem?

sinton66
08-04-2002, 10:42 PM
Yea, it happens to everybody sooner or later.
Sinton will be a little short in the sophomore athletic ranks this year. It's just a very unfortunate sign of the times. Hopefully, you'll have some solid kids step up and lead the teams out of it. In our case, the baseball team overcoming it and winning it all was a great thing. Pretty easy for them too see they missed a heck of a ride. By all means, keep the faith!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 04, 2002).]

Chris Hart
08-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Burnet had some problems alcohol related last year.The head coach suspended 11 starters for the first two games last year including the loss to Taylor.The kid Burnet had the most problems with transferred to LaGrange.He is a excellent linebacker with unlimited potential, but he definitely has some problems.He was removed from the team after last year for disciplinary reasons, therefore transferring.I hope maybe he has learned his lesson, and not taken his problems with him.One rotten apple can spoil a whole bunch, and that would be terrible for LaGrange.I hope he has his head on straight this year, he is a awesome hitter and competitor.He can really help LaGrange there, from what I hear they are a little thin at Linebacker.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

[This message has been edited by Chris Hart (edited August 04, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Hart (edited August 05, 2002).]

Swarm 51
08-05-2002, 12:10 AM
The LaVega team in Waco has experienced drug related problems in the past resulting in suspension of some players. But, I understand that district implemented the drug/alcohol policy this past school year so hopefully this has been and is a wake up call for those at LaVega that are representing their school. Other than that one school I think the 17AAA team members have been very successful in saying
"NO" to drugs and alcohol.

Pudlugger
08-05-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart:
Burnet had some problems alcohol related last year.The head coach suspended 11 starters for the first two games last year including the loss to Taylor.The kid Burnet had the most problems with transferred to LaGrange.He is a excellent linebacker with unlimited potential, but he definitely has some problems(probably his upbringing).He was removed from the team after last year for disciplinary reasons, therefore transferring.I hope maybe he has learned his lesson, and not taken his problems with him.One rotten apple can spoil a whole bunch, and that would be terrible for LaGrange.I hope he has his head on straight this year, he is a awesome hitter and competitor.He can really help LaGrange there, from what I hear they are a little thin at Linebacker.

Well from what I hear from the players this kid is really working hard to make the grade. La Grange coaches keep a short leash on their players, and will not tolerate abuses of the alcohol and drug policy. It is a shame that a kid can make a mistake and then get branded by the "community" as a troublemaker. I can understand why his parents decided to get out of Burnet if this is how they respond to a troubled youngster. Of course no one on this board ever did anything wrong when they were young so should feel just fine branding a kid for life as a problem. LOL!

Chris Hart
08-05-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger:
Well from what I hear from the players this kid is really working hard to make the grade. La Grange coaches keep a short leash on their players, and will not tolerate abuses of the alcohol and drug policy. It is a shame that a kid can make a mistake and then get branded by the "community" as a troublemaker. I can understand why his parents decided to get out of Burnet if this is how they respond to a troubled youngster. Of course no one on this board ever did anything wrong when they were young so should feel just fine branding a kid for life as a problem. LOL!Pudlugger,I don't know about the community branding the kid a troublemaker.Yes we all made childhood mistakes and there is no reason to brand anybody over a mistake.But this kid apparently made more than one mistake in Burnet.I personally don't know the kid but have heard alot of stories, I don't know the validity of any of them.Although I do respect our head coach for the stand he took, even when it came to what I would rate our second best player on defense.I'll bet it was a tough stand to take.We all know that the personal interest of any kid or any team must be the first thing considered, not winning or losing.I probably made more mistakes than most when I was his age, but just didn't get caught.Therefore I am possibly a bit more patient with teens.I wish the situation could have been settled in a different way, but like I said, I don't know all the facts.What I do know is the kid is a superb football player(ferocious),has all the heart you could ask for and just plain physical talent.I didn't mention that he is probably the best high school punter I have ever seen.He has a leg like Ray Guy.I wish him nothing but the best and he still has my support.I will be keeping up with him all year.Good luck to the Leopards this fall.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

Pudlugger
08-05-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart:

Originally posted by Pudlugger:
Well from what I hear from the players this kid is really working hard to make the grade. La Grange coaches keep a short leash on their players, and will not tolerate abuses of the alcohol and drug policy. It is a shame that a kid can make a mistake and then get branded by the "community" as a troublemaker. I can understand why his parents decided to get out of Burnet if this is how they respond to a troubled youngster. Of course no one on this board ever did anything wrong when they were young so should feel just fine branding a kid for life as a problem. LOL!Pudlugger,I don't know about the community branding the kid a troublemaker.Yes we all made childhood mistakes and there is no reason to brand anybody over a mistake.But this kid apparently made more than one mistake in Burnet.I personally don't know the kid but have heard alot of stories, I don't know the validity of any of them.Although I do respect our head coach for the stand he took, even when it came to what I would rate our second best player on defense.I'll bet it was a tough stand to take.We all know that the personal interest of any kid or any team must be the first thing considered, not winning or losing.I probably made more mistakes than most when I was his age, but just didn't get caught.Therefore I am possibly a bit more patient with teens.I wish the situation could have been settled in a different way, but like I said, I don't know all the facts.What I do know is the kid is a superb football player(ferocious),has all the heart you could ask for and just plain physical talent.I didn't mention that he is probably the best high school punter I have ever seen.He has a leg like Ray Guy.I wish him nothing but the best and he still has my support.I will be keeping up with him all year.Good luck to the Leopards this fall.

Chris Hart, I was just reacting to having this kid get his name posted up on this board when it is clear that he is trying to get a fresh start. In small towns people too often get unfairly labeled by inuendo, gossip,hearsay or as a result of a momentary bad decision. As you say, you don't know all the facts. Maybe we should just let it be and see how the kid does. Obviously you respect his talent and heart so let's try to withold judgement and give him another chance. I know you want him to succeed, as do we all. In this way not only will the team benifit, but more importantly this kid will learn a valuable lesson in life.

sinton66
08-05-2002, 10:13 PM
That's a good point Pudlugger, everybody deserves a second chance. And I agree we should refrain from using their names. In fact Chris, it might be a good idea to go back and edit it out. Just a suggestion.

Chris Hart
08-05-2002, 10:36 PM
I don't remember posting this kids name.If I did please tell me where and I will edit it out.

sinton66
08-05-2002, 10:41 PM
Ok, my bad, I went back and looked, I didn't see it either now that you mention it. Apologies!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 05, 2002).]

bulldogs05
08-05-2002, 10:47 PM
i know this guy and he likes 2 play football but hes not gonna let the coaches tell him u can not go out and have fun cause he can do what ever he wants to cause he can do tha damn thing!!

yoe_81
08-24-2002, 04:15 PM
Yea, This kinda stuff happens everywhere unfortunatly...Cameron has been alot better about this subject recently..Only thing is Our Star Running Back stayed away from tha drugs & the Alcohol..but instead he shot someone in the FACE !! not a good thing Tyrone..o well our team is still Real Young and is promising to Trun some heads..especially our Tail Back Byron Majors-as a Freshman(last year) he ran the 40 in 4.4..this summer hes been in tennesse running Jr. Olmpics...Watch out for this yung buck...Go Yoe !!

------------------

Swarm 51
08-24-2002, 10:47 PM
Yoe_81, I drove to Robinson last night and watched you guys scrimmage the Rockets. Cameron has loads of potential. Noticed that Pittman ran mostly from the shotgun formation. Will that be the Yoemen's basic offensive formation this year??