PDA

View Full Version : Joe Savery signs w/ Phillies, Kyle Drabek to have elbow surgery...

g$$
07-23-2007, 07:36 PM
FYI: As reported Sunday, RHP Kyle Drabek (Woodlands HS, 1st round pick last year, son of Doug) will have season-ending elbow reconstructive surgery this Wednesday. He was 5-1 this season with a 4.33 ERA at low A ball Lakewood & made the mid-season All Star team. My nephew played select ball with him for 2 years on the Houston Heat & he is legit (would have been drafted as an infielder/hitter too, he is that good & all state football WR as well in 5A). Tough break for him & best of luck coming back. Just recently Huston Street, JB Cox, Brandon Backe, & now Drabek have had major elbow problems (Street is almost back, Backe rehabbing, others surgery). Life of a pitcher.

Monday, Jul 23, 2007
Jim Salisbury

Inquirer Columnist

NATI HARNIK / Associated Press
The Phillies gave Joe Savery a signing bonus of $1,372,500. He also got tuition for his final three semesters at Rice, and an invitation to big-league spring training camp in February. The Phillies introduced their newest pitching prospect yesterday, and if they are really serious about upgrading the quality of arms in their system, they will introduce a couple of more in the coming weeks.
Even before throwing his first professional pitch, Joe Savery looks like someone you can dream on: 21 years old, 6-foot-3, lefthanded, good three-pitch mix, impressive big-time college resume, athletic, competitive, confident.

If you add enough of these pitchers to your system - and develop them - there will come a day when you won't have to get some other team's over-priced used car in free agency or a trade. Sign enough pitchers like Savery and someday you'll be looking at a homegrown, economical starting rotation.

There was never any mystery whether the Phillies would eventually add Savery to their system. They wouldn't have spent their first pick (19th overall) in the June draft on him if they weren't sure he'd sign. The former Rice University all-American received a signing bonus of $1,372,500. He also got tuition for his final three semesters at Rice, and an invite to big-league spring training camp in February.

It's a nice deal.

Now, it's time for the Phillies to make a couple more.

The franchise has a chance to add two more top arms (and maybe more) to its system before the Aug. 15 deadline for signing this year's draft class.

Most notable are third-round pick Brandon Workman and 12th rounder Julian Sampson, two big righthanders who have college scholarships waiting if they don't sign.

Word in scouting circles is that both are, as they say, signable. For less than $1 million, the Phillies could probably sign both. That would significantly upgrade the quality of pitching prospects in the system.

Lure Workman away from the University of Texas and Sampson away from the University of Washington and suddenly you have five outstanding pitching prospects with Savery, Kyle Drabek and Carlos Carrasco being the others. Throw in Cole Hamels and Kyle Kendrick and you have seven arms age 23 and under that you can really envision being part of a solid, major-league rotation.

Of course, envision is the key word here. Even the most bountiful minor-league systems have to budget for attrition - injuries, flame-outs, etc. Once upon a time, the Phillies envisioned Hamels and Gavin Floyd at the top of their rotation. Floyd never panned out, but such occurrences can't stop a team from stockpiling young arms, especially in the day of high-priced free-agent pitchers.

It probably takes six or eight good pitching prospects to get one major-league difference-maker. Given that, a team has to continually cast its nets for young pitching. And if it means baiting those nets with dollar bills, so be it. One million bucks for Brandon Workman and Julian Sampson is a fraction of what the Phillies will make on home games this month. And in the end, it might pay off better than $10 million for a broken-down Freddy Garcia.

The Phillies baseball people are salivating to get Workman and Sampson signed. (Eighteenth rounder Mark Adzick of Penn Charter also remains on their radar screen, despite a commitment to Wake Forest.)

General manager Pat Gillick personally scouted Sampson in Seattle a couple of weeks ago and liked what he saw. The folks at Washington want to know if Sampson is coming or not, so deal-or-no-deal time is close. Yesterday, Gillick was in the Dallas area to check out Workman.

The decision to sign these pitchers ultimately rests with club president David Montgomery, who must balance the wants of his staff with a mandate from the commissioner's office to keep signing bonuses in check.

Signing Workman and/or Sampson won't guarantee that they will ever pitch for the Phillies. Not signing them, however, will guarantee that they will never pitch for the team, unless, of course, they are drafted again by the Phils in coming years.

On the day a highly touted pitcher signs, he's on top of the world, as Savery was yesterday when he pulled on a bright, red Phillies cap and smiled for the cameras. The next day, however, he's at the bottom of the minor-league ladder, starting an uncertain climb to the majors.

Savery, who is headed for Williamsport of the New York-Penn League, thinks he can be a fast riser, and the Phillies won't complain if he is. After all, they have the worst team ERA in the National League.

While listening to Savery speak in a news conference yesterday, it was easy to hark back to 1993, when first-round pick Wayne Gomes visited the Phillies' clubhouse during Mitch Williams' time as closer.

"What position do you play?" John Kruk asked Gomes.

"I'm a closer," Gomes said.

"Hurry," Kruk said.

Gomes made it, but never lived up to being the No. 4 pick in the country. There are no guarantees in player development, but lots of good minor-league inventory helps.

Joe Savery is on board. May Brandon Workman and Julian Sampson follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact staff writer Jim Salisbury
at 215-854-4983

or jsalisbury@phillynews.com.

neck_06
07-23-2007, 10:43 PM
its seems like tommy john is becoming an inevitable thing for pitchers these days.....keeping my fingers crossed.

CHS_CG
07-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I think I need sleep.. I read that as "Kyle Drabek to have Eyebrow Surgery"

g$$
07-24-2007, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
its seems like tommy john is becoming an inevitable thing for pitchers these days.....keeping my fingers crossed.

I hear ya buddy. We were talking about that tonight. Hope you are doing well. See ya.

Bull19
07-24-2007, 04:03 PM
KYLE'S BROTHER COULD HAVE BEEN JUST AS GOOD AS HIM IF ONLY HE COULD'VE STAYED OUT OF TROUBLE

g$$
07-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
KYLE'S BROTHER COULD HAVE BEEN JUST AS GOOD AS HIM IF ONLY HE COULD'VE STAYED OUT OF TROUBLE

Respectfully disagree - he also played on that same select team in Houston with my nephew. I watched him often. Good but not elite player (infielder, pitched some). True, he did get into some trouble, but so did Kyle (thus he fell in the 1st round). Justin is now playing independent ball last I heard. Kyle was a 1st round MLB pick as a pitcher & would have been as an infielder/hitter too. He's that good. 94-97 mph with power breaking ball, plus hit with some serious pop. Tremendous athlete too. Now he has elbow surgery in front of him, so we'll see.

Justin was never regarded as a "next level" elite player by scouts or baseball people. His attitude did not help him either (problems at San Jac too). Good parents & I like them a lot. But facts are facts.