PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons Article

JR2004
07-22-2007, 12:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070722&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

He also quotes himself in this article from an earlier one he had written during the playoffs. He's a C's fan (Don't know how the poor guy isn't an alcoholic by now following that joke of a franchise.) so he had no rooting interest either way in the outcome of the game.

<<Congratulations to Greg Willard, TIM DONAGHY and Eddie F. Rush for giving us the most atrociously officiated game of the playoffs so far: Game 3 of the Suns-Spurs series. Bennett Salvatore, Tom Washington and Violet Palmer must have been outraged that they weren't involved in this mess. Good golly. Most of the calls favored the Spurs, but I don't even think the refs were biased -- they were so incompetent that there was no rhyme or reason to anything that was happening. Other than the latest call in NBA history (a shooting foul for Ginobili whistled three seconds after the play, when everyone was already running in the other direction), my favorite moment happened near the end, when the game was already over and they called a cheap bump on Bruce Bowen against Nash, so the cameras caught Mike D'Antoni (the most entertaining coach in the league if he's not getting calls) screaming sarcastically, "Why start now? Why bother?" What a travesty. Not since the cocaine era from 1978-1986 has the league faced a bigger ongoing issue than crappy officiating.>>

I believe he listed in the article some other games Donaghy had done that will come into question now(Both regular season and playoffs). Although not as big as this one, he did a Knicks game this year where the Knicks had a 39-8 free throw advantage against the Heat and covered the spread by 1.5 points.