PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguishers in the home

Pudlugger
07-21-2007, 02:46 PM
How many of yall have fire extinguishers in your home? I just installed several in key locations in our new house such as stair landings, bedroom doors, hallway, garage and utility room. Also, I put two in the barn and storage building on the ranch. Not only will they help in case of fire but you can get a break on your homeowner policy to boot. In case of a fire between you and a safe escape, an extinguisher can save your life. Remember to aim at the base of the flame where the fuel source is. Be safe, get some extinguishers if you haven't already.:)

Chief Woodman
07-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Well this requires further information from a 29 year fire fighter and OSHA safety instructor (i.e. me). In no way am I suggesting that you should not have them in your home (you should), but some thought needs to go along with ownership.

First, if you have not been trained in selecting or using hand held fire extinguishers they can cost you your life, not save it. That is why OSHA requires annual training for anyone at a business who might use it. If they do not recieve the training, they should be listed as someone who has not recieved the training and they are to egress the building and call for the fire department.

Second, hand held extinguishers are intended for use on incipient fires only. If you do not know what that means, egress and do not get in over your head. I have made many fires where the loss was increased because untrained occupants did not use proper selection or technique and only delayed the response of the guys with lots of water and proper protective clothing.

Third, the proper technique (which you should both see and practice prior to use in an emergency situation) is in the acroynm P.A.S.S.

PULL: The safety pin

AIM: the nozzle at the base of the incipient fire

SQUEEZE: the operating handle

SWEEP: the fire from side to side

Last, a word of caution to anyone who uses an extinguisher indoors. If you have a multi-purpose extinguisher (Dry chemical) be ready for the extinguising powder to be EVERYWHERE as soon as you squeeze the operating handle. I do mean EVERYWHERE, including your eyes and in your mouth, nose and throat. It is VERY irritating to your eyes and respiratory systems.

Be safe and have fun putting out all those fires,

Chief Woodman

Pudlugger
07-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Some folks live in rural areas with volunteer fire departments Chief. Sure, don't try to put it out by yourself, call the department asap. Meanwhile, folks do need to know how to use them correctly and avoid getting trapped. In my house they are situated near exits and egress locations to aid in escape. I don't recommend running into a burning house with them of course, as the Chief is right, leave that for the professionals. While you are waiting for the rural volunteer firemen to arrive though using one of these correctly on a small fire will save your house.

lepfan
07-21-2007, 03:20 PM
A fire extinguisher used to be required equipment in my kitchen!

Chief Woodman
07-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Some folks live in rural areas with volunteer fire departments Chief. Sure, don't try to put it out by yourself, call the department asap. Meanwhile, folks do need to know how to use them correctly and avoid getting trapped. In my house they are situated near exits and egress locations to aid in escape. I don't recommend running into a burning house with them of course, as the Chief is right, leave that for the professionals. While you are waiting for the rural volunteer firemen to arrive though using one of these correctly on a small fire will save your house.

True, some do not have professional depatments, but that is no knock on the folks who do the job for free. But if you are in this situation it is even more important to have the proper training. Cause if ya get over your head and there is now a more delayed response because it is the Vol's, now you are injured and even further away from proper medical base facilities. Houses can be replaced, people cannot.

fireman1
07-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
True, some do not have professional depatments, but that is no knock on the folks who do the job for free. But if you are in this situation it is even more important to have the proper training. Cause if ya get over your head and there is now a more delayed response because it is the Vol's, now you are injured and even further away from proper medical base facilities. Houses can be replaced, people cannot.

Chief I am a volunteer fireman and I think that our department is pretty professional.... if someone needs help with a fire extinguisher Im sure the local fire dept can help and give you and your family a quick class on how to properly and effectively use a fire extinguisher if not you can always make a road trip to out fire station we always welcome visitors...

Pudlugger
07-21-2007, 04:55 PM

Our volunteer department is excellent in La Grange, but about 4 miles away.

Lepfan, kitchen fires are probably the most common in homes. We have a fire suppression system installed over our range. It is a commercial system. An extinguisher rated for all three types of fire in the kitchen is a good thing. Keep a phone in there of course, to call the VFD too.

Pudlugger
07-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Well this requires further information from a 29 year fire fighter and OSHA safety instructor (i.e. me). In no way am I suggesting that you should not have them in your home (you should), but some thought needs to go along with ownership.

First, if you have not been trained in selecting or using hand held fire extinguishers they can cost you your life, not save it. That is why OSHA requires annual training for anyone at a business who might use it. If they do not recieve the training, they should be listed as someone who has not recieved the training and they are to egress the building and call for the fire department.

Second, hand held extinguishers are intended for use on incipient fires only. If you do not know what that means, egress and do not get in over your head. I have made many fires where the loss was increased because untrained occupants did not use proper selection or technique and only delayed the response of the guys with lots of water and proper protective clothing.

Third, the proper technique (which you should both see and practice prior to use in an emergency situation) is in the acroynm P.A.S.S.

PULL: The safety pin

AIM: the nozzle at the base of the incipient fire

SQUEEZE: the operating handle

SWEEP: the fire from side to side

Last, a word of caution to anyone who uses an extinguisher indoors. If you have a multi-purpose extinguisher (Dry chemical) be ready for the extinguising powder to be EVERYWHERE as soon as you squeeze the operating handle. I do mean EVERYWHERE, including your eyes and in your mouth, nose and throat. It is VERY irritating to your eyes and respiratory systems.

Be safe and have fun putting out all those fires,

Chief Woodman

That PASS test sounds tough Chief. Is it as hard as the TAKS? j/k

Pull the pin, aim at the base of flame, squeeze the lever, and sweep...I got it I think LOL.

Chief Woodman
07-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Our volunteer department is excellent in La Grange, but about 4 miles away.

Lepfan, kitchen fires are probably the most common in homes. We have a fire suppression system installed over our range. It is a commercial system. An extinguisher rated for all three types of fire in the kitchen is a good thing. Keep a phone in there of course, to call the VFD too.

Probally the best is a 2A10BC rated. Don't worry too much about the class "D" fires. Metal does funny, funny things when burning. Many Vol groups are quite excellent and as capable as most paid groups. Sometimes is only difference is response time. acceptable response times for paid is less than 5 min, for vol's the time is less than 9 min. (That 4 min difference is HUGE in fire fighting, as a fire typically doubles in size every 4 minutes.)

Chief Woodman
07-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by fireman1
Chief I am a volunteer fireman and I think that our department is pretty professional.... if someone needs help with a fire extinguisher Im sure the local fire dept can help and give you and your family a quick class on how to properly and effectively use a fire extinguisher if not you can always make a road trip to out fire station we always welcome visitors...

That is absolutely great! Glad to meet a fellow snot slinger. Most department will help out anyone who will inquire. My point was take the time to inquire and learn if you are going to bother having an extinguisher so that it is a help and not a hinderance. Be safe while on that truck my friend.

Chief Woodman
07-21-2007, 05:48 PM
That PASS test sounds tough Chief. Is it as hard as the TAKS? j/k

Pull the pin, aim at the base of flame, squeeze the lever, and sweep...I got it I think LOL.

Great comparrison. After all us firemen ain't real smart sometimes. We really know only two things:

1. Put the wet stuff on the red stuff.
2. Things rarely fall up.

Pudlugger
07-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Great comparrison. After all us firemen ain't real smart sometimes. We really know only two things:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yall are a lot smarter than yall let on Chief.
;)

fireman1
07-21-2007, 06:35 PM

you forgot if theres heavy black stuff billowing out the windows and doors oh boy you better ventilate before you go in

Chief Woodman
07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by fireman1
you forgot if theres heavy black stuff billowing out the windows and doors oh boy you better ventilate before you go in

Thats too complicated for me. Please refer to firefighter knowledge # 1 and 2. Thats all my noodle kin handle.

slpybear the bullfan
07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Howdy Chief...

Always keep one around in the garage. Just too many things that can happen....

sinton66
07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
A fire extinguisher used to be required equipment in my kitchen!
Tell us why.:D