PDA

View Full Version : NBA Official Set to be ARRESTED

JR2004
07-20-2007, 08:45 AM
FOR POINT SHAVING.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/news/columnists/nba_in_a_fix_columnists_murray_weiss.htm

Any honestly believe this is the first time this has happened in the NBA?

raider red 2000
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
this is huge....that guy is going to take a fall....big time.

JR2004
07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
this is huge....that guy is going to take a fall....big time.

This is really, really big. For a league that has absolutely zero credibility when it comes to officiating, this could be the knockout blow if the Feds get a conviction.

LH Panther Mom
07-20-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.smilieland.com/graphics4/pegcon07a.gif

raider red 2000
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
This is really, really big. For a league that has absolutely zero credibility when it comes to officiating, this could be the knockout blow if the Feds get a conviction.

Zero credibility is right- the NBA could turn into an 82 game "AND 1" video.

personally i only watch the playoffs....but i know lots of people that watch it.

this is probably going to turn lots of people off.

luvhoops34
07-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Fans have been screaming about the refs fixing games for years. This just confirms what most people thought. Sad day for the NBA.:(

raider red 2000
07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Fans have been screaming about the refs fixing games for years. This just confirms what most people thought. Sad day for the NBA.:(

if the guy is really working for the mob....do you think that he makes it to trial?

does the mob get him...or the commissioner of the NBA?????

Phil C
07-20-2007, 09:17 AM
:(

kaorder1999
07-20-2007, 11:15 AM
this is BAD for the NBA

charlesrixey
07-20-2007, 11:36 AM
:( :dispntd:

i love the nba, but this really sucks

the implications are scary

this may hurt LV's chances of landing a franchise

Emerson1
07-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I wonder if he did any of the 06 nba finals? If he did any of the games Dallas lost I would right now start proclaiming them as the NBA champions

JR2004
07-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I wonder if he did any of the 06 nba finals? If he did any of the games Dallas lost I would right now start proclaiming them as the NBA champions

Anyone remember the quotes Cuban had from that interview he did several months back with ESPN for their Sunday Conversation piece? I remember he said something along the lines of there was things he knew about the 2006 Finals that would shock the average fan if they were privy to the things he knew(I believe he said some of the stuff he found out almost made him sell the Mavs). I wonder if this is connected to the things he wouldn't publicly talk about in that interview.

Either way the NBA is on the verge of being completely irrelevant (sad to me because of how much I love the Lakers and I'm sure many others who love their respective franchises.) if these allegations wind up being true. I would suspect that if they are, there will be more than just one official involved in this point shaving scheme. The league's last ounce of credibility seems to have just gone out the window on this story. It'll be interesting to see which official winds up being the first to take the fall. I'm going with Crawford, Javie or Salvatore, but it could be some random guy that no one pays any attention to.

Bandera YaYa
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
You know Dallas lost those games all by themself.

luvhoops34
07-20-2007, 01:47 PM

I'm sure this will affect lots of teams. It's a sad, sad day for the NBA.

kaorder1999
07-20-2007, 01:48 PM
i am interested in knowing if this is what Cuban was talking about

JasperDog94
07-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i am interested in knowing if this is what Cuban was talking about No doubt.

Bull Butter
07-20-2007, 01:50 PM
CBS Sportsline is reporting league sources say the referee in question is Tim Donaghy.

Never heard of the guy:confused:

Emerson1
07-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
You know Dallas lost those games all by themself.
I also know you aren't a man hater.

charlesrixey
07-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i am interested in knowing if this is what Cuban was talking about

me too

i am also curious to know what games this guy officiated

it says it in the box scores who the officials were, doesn't it?

that being said, i've never heard of him, so he must not do many games in this part of the country

I would be more shocked if it was a guy like Dick Boveta? who was well established in the league

either way, this has horrific implications, although i think the NBA can survive this well if they act immediately

Bull Butter
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Apparently Donaghy also had ties to organized crime.

Nice.

Bandera YaYa
07-20-2007, 02:03 PM
I also know you aren't a man hater.
tsk tsk tsk......it still really hurts, huh??:bigcry: :bigcry:

Emerson1
07-20-2007, 02:06 PM
tsk tsk tsk......it still really hurts, huh??:bigcry: :bigcry:
Not really, heat fans and you are the only people who think that series was officiated fairly. Now we know that there is a crime ring within in the league rigging the outcome of games.

charlesrixey
07-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Not really, heat fans and you are the only people who think that series was officiated fairly. Now we know that there is a crime ring within in the league rigging the outcome of games.

I am a big Mavs fan, Emerson, but i think Wade was that good all by himself

some of his fouls were rediculous, but he still would have been to the line in at least 80% of the time, if those questionable calls were taken out

The mavericks just let him get comfortable and after the first loss they just fell apart mentally

whereas nowitzki had been great the previous two years in the playoffs, and up until that point in the finals, he hasn't been the same since

Bandera YaYa
07-20-2007, 02:15 PM
So, how does an official make Dirk miss a shot?????? Get over it....the Mavs choked!!!:p :p

Phil C
07-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey let's wait for the official word and then we can see for sure who it is and what games he officiated in before such debates. He may not have even officiated any of the Mavs games that year.
So in the meantime .......

CALME DOWN!!!

:mad:

PurpleFreddy
07-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Phil, how dare you bring a voice of reason into the conversation!

Ranger Mom
07-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

CALME DOWN!!!

Is that french??:D :D

Bandera YaYa
07-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey let's wait for the official word and then we can see for sure who it is and what games he officiated in before such debates. He may not have even officiated any of the Mavs games that year.
So in the meantime .......

CALME DOWN!!!

Uh, I think there's a girl's hair braiding competition on TMC, you need to check out.........:clap:

kaorder1999
07-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

i was going to ask the same thing!

Phil C
07-20-2007, 02:45 PM

SE CALMER!!!

Phil C
07-20-2007, 02:52 PM
BERUHIGEN SIE SICH!

Phil C
07-20-2007, 02:53 PM
CALMARSI!

Phil C
07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
CALME!

Phil C
07-20-2007, 02:59 PM
KALMEER!

Phil C
07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
BEROLIG NED!

No mas! :)

Ranger Mom
07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
O lordy!!

I have created a monster!!!

UNCLE!! UNCLE!!

pirate4state
07-20-2007, 03:27 PM
O lordy!!

I have created a monster!!!

UNCLE!! UNCLE!!

Remember always Quality before Quantity :p :D :evillol:

kaorder1999
07-20-2007, 05:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/photo/2007/0720/nba_g_tdonaghy_65.jpg

kaorder1999
07-20-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/donaghy_ref1.jpg

g$$
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Exactly, not a good day. The NBA is one step closer to being the WWE with Vince McMahon.

g$$
07-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
me too

i am also curious to know what games this guy officiated

it says it in the box scores who the officials were, doesn't it?

that being said, i've never heard of him, so he must not do many games in this part of the country

I would be more shocked if it was a guy like Dick Boveta? who was well established in the league

either way, this has horrific implications, although i think the NBA can survive this well if they act immediately

Oh yes he does. All the refs travel around to all parts of the country. He did 68 games this year & 5 playoff games in his career. 13 year ref in the NBA. You have seen him at some point.

Bavetta would never sink to this level. Class act & good ref.

Emerson1
07-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Bennett Salvatore was probably involved to.

It's sad on the NBA's part that we know these refs by name.

Gobbla2001
07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I really don't see where one guy getting arrested gives the NBA bad credibility... if it turns out that there are 5 more refs or so involved and someone way up in the NBA chain of command has something to do with it then yes... but one guy, acting on his own? sounds like "that guy" has the problem...

he not only cheated the gamblers, he cheated the fans (customers of the NBA) and the NBA itself... HE cheated them... I'm sure others have cheated in the past, but these are individuals and there are a lot worse outside of the NBA...

but of course you gotta have a story, so everyone will discuss this as "THE NBA" and not "THE INDIVIDUAL"...

Gobbla2001
07-20-2007, 06:11 PM

That wasn't rigged, the Mavs were just warming up for their performance against the Warriors in this year's playoffs...

zebrablue2
07-20-2007, 06:18 PM
too bad a person gets to this level, makes good money, and then gets greedy.

JasperDog94
07-20-2007, 06:23 PM
So, how does an official make Dirk miss a shot?????? Get over it....the Mavs choked!!!:p :p I have no love for Dirk and think at times he's a little over-rated, but I can answer this question easy.

Dirk gets hammered and there's no call. Meanwhile Wade's not even touched but gets a call.

See how easy that was?;)

Emerson1
07-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Dirk hit a go ahead shot towards the end of regulation, and at the end of OT. Both were trumped by wade free throws.

g$$
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I really don't see where one guy getting arrested gives the NBA bad credibility... if it turns out that there are 5 more refs or so involved and someone way up in the NBA chain of command has something to do with it then yes... but one guy, acting on his own? sounds like "that guy" has the problem...

he not only cheated the gamblers, he cheated the fans (customers of the NBA) and the NBA itself... HE cheated them... I'm sure others have cheated in the past, but these are individuals and there are a lot worse outside of the NBA...

but of course you gotta have a story, so everyone will discuss this as "THE NBA" and not "THE INDIVIDUAL"...

Good point, but it also speaks to the issue of a guy at the top of his profession who becomes involved with the Mafia because of gambling debts. The NBA has extensive background checks & security, yet this slipped thru the cracks. That is the bigger issue, & a huge problem from the outside.

Without credibility, you have nothing. The NBA is already suffering with low ratings & perception problems. This will not help one bit.

Emerson1
Or maybe the NBA needed a guy who wouldn't go and blow the whistle on them.

fireman1
07-20-2007, 06:43 PM
are the feds going to push this case the same as Vick's?

g$$
07-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by fireman1
are the feds going to push this case the same as Vick's?

It sure seems so because the FBI is involved with the NBA case, & Vick's deal is a federal investigation & indictment. Nothing to sneeze at for either.

Emerson1
07-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I think Vick's case is a little bit worse though.

raider red 2000
07-20-2007, 06:50 PM
I think Vick's case is a little bit worse though.

just because he was indicted?

i wander if the Ref was ever at Vick's place.

JR2004
07-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

Saw this one coming!

I guess maybe it's time to start quoting Chancellor Stern on here to drive home just how damaging and embarrassing this is for the NBA by some of the quotes he arrogantly has thrown around about officials never, ever fixing games(So much good material from the All-Star break this year). He, like his product, now has zero credibility to anyone who has been paying any attention to this league for the last several years. Anyone who honestly thinks this is the only ref who has taken part in something like this needs to remove their head from the sand and wake up to a good dose of reality.

Looks like that Game 6 of the 2002 Western Finals might've been fixed after all. Sure it helped my team go on to win title #14, but I'm pretty well convinced that the fix was in on the 4th quarter of that one and heck I'm a fan of the team that won thinking that! There's really now no defense of what occured during that game with this coming down today.

PHS Wildcats
07-20-2007, 07:52 PM
According to ESPN, he never ref'd any NBA Finals games.

g$$
07-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
According to ESPN, he never ref'd any NBA Finals games.

Correct - 5 playoff games in his history but no Finals.

Maybe other refs on the take though?...

Emerson1
07-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Correct - 5 playoff games in his history but no Finals.

Maybe other refs on the take though?...
He has done 20 playoff games the last 2 years.

burnet44
07-21-2007, 12:42 AM
2 people who are happy

Barry Bonds
Mike Vick

both get a break for a minute

luvhoops34
07-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I hope he didn't ref any mavs/SPURS games. We'll have all the mavs fans on here WHINING even more. Somebody call the waaaaaabulance. ;)

JR2004
07-21-2007, 02:03 AM
I hope he didn't ref any mavs/SPURS games. We'll have all the mavs fans on here WHINING even more. Somebody call the waaaaaabulance. ;)

I want to say this guy reffed Game 2 or 3 of the Dallas-GS series and he reffed Game 3 of the Phoenix-San Antone series. Not sure of the others.

g$$
07-21-2007, 04:41 AM
He has done 20 playoff games the last 2 years.

Maybe I read it wrong then or maybe he did 5 this year. Either way, I do not believe he has ever done the Finals.