PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Question

kaorder1999
07-19-2007, 09:43 PM
If a player hits a homerun do they HAVE to drop their bat to run the bases or can they carry the bat with them? Just wondering!

BreckTxLonghorn
07-19-2007, 10:29 PM
I once saw Pedro Serrano carry his around the bases.

crzyjournalist03
07-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I once saw Pedro Serrano carry his around this bases.

"Straight ball, I hit it very much. Curve ball is not bat's friend."

I think you do have to drop your bat before you reach first base, because it could be considered a threatening weapon if carried across the bases, but I don't think it's in the MLB rulebook (which is surprisingly much shorter than you'd expect.)

SintonFan_inAustin
07-19-2007, 11:53 PM
good Question, because when Barry passes the HR mark is he going to drop his bat and somebody else pick it up and steal it :D

g$$
07-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
good Question, because when Barry passes the HR mark is he going to drop his bat and somebody else pick it up and steal it :D

I wish someone would pick it up & hit him over the head with it! Just kidding, not sure of rule but do not think you can carry it past 1st base.

Bull Butter
07-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin

When Barry hits HR # 756, if someone grabs the bat and clubs him with it before he reaches home plate, does it still count?

g$$
07-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
When Barry hits HR # 756, if someone grabs the bat and clubs him with it before he reaches home plate, does it still count?

Ask Hammerin' Hank...but he is too much of a gentleman to get into this stuff publicly.

3afan
07-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
"Straight ball, I hit it very much. Curve ball is not bat's friend."

I think you do have to drop your bat before you reach first base, because it could be considered a threatening weapon if carried across the bases, but I don't think it's in the MLB rulebook (which is surprisingly much shorter than you'd expect.)

if its not in the book - then you dont have to drop it

speaking ASA & NFHS (high school) fastpitch, its IS legal to carry the bat when running the bases ............ but, if there is a play made on that runner then if the umpire even smells that the fielder was distracted or interfered with due to the bat that runners gonna call out for interference