View Full Version : Steve Francis returns to Houston

Bull Butter
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4982185.html?plckCurrentPage=2

Steve Francis to return to Rockets
Three-time All-Star picks former team over Heat, Mavs and Clippers

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
Former Rockets guard Steve Francis is about to be future Rockets guard Steve Francis.

Francis chose the Rockets over the Heat, Mavericks and Clippers, his agent Jeff Fried said on Thursday.

"I just hung up with Daryl (Morey, the Rockets general manager)," Fried said. "He is dealing with facilitating the contract.

"It's a combination of a variety of factors including the fit with the team, a comfortableness with the organization and a familiarity with the surroundings. He has a home in Houston. In so many ways, it has remained his home, despite some interim stops, Orlando and New York.

"For Steve, it's coming home."

Bull Butter
07-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Is this really a good thing for the Rockets? Didn't they run this guy out of town once already?

jason
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
steve francis = never won anything
t-mac = never won anything

steve francis + t-mac = NEVER GONNA WIN ANYTHING

neck_06
07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by jason
steve francis = never won anything
t-mac = never won anything

steve francis + t-mac = NEVER GONNA WIN ANYTHING

you forgot yao...

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 01:44 PM
(sigh)

Maroon87
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Is this really a good thing for the Rockets? Didn't they run this guy out of town once already?

Jeff Van Grumpy ran him off...which wasn't an altogether bad thing.

As long as he accepts his role and plays hard every night it could be a nice move. I don't think Adelman will put up with his BS very long if he starts griping about minutes and shots.

SWMustang
a co worker of mine saw him yesterday at the Fonde Rec center.

Maroon87
07-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang

You can see a lot of NBA players there during the summer.

jason
07-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
you forgot yao... yao = http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1747/pukerud1.gif

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

As long as he accepts his role and plays hard every night it could be a nice move. I don't think Adelman will put up with his BS very long if he starts griping about minutes and shots. I hope you're right.

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 02:29 PM
yao = http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1747/pukerud1.gif Follow this link....5th post down.

link (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67754&perpage=15&highlight=overrated&pagenumber=4)

:evillol:

jason
07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Follow this link....5th post down.

link (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67754&perpage=15&highlight=overrated&pagenumber=4)

:evillol:

Originally posted by charlesrixey
yes but they make it for you!

;)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

luvhoops34
07-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Franchise is back!

Astrosdawg07
07-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Now who will go you have:Francis, Alston, Lucas III, & Brooks...:confused:

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 02:58 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: I was messin' with you on the "overrated" thread.

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Now who will go you have:Francis, Alston, Lucas III, & Brooks...:confused: ...and James...

luvhoops34
07-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Houston might actually be fun to watch this year with Stevie Franchise back.

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Houston might actually be fun to watch this year with Stevie Franchise back. You really are a big Steve Francis fan, aren't you?

BTEXDAD
07-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Now who will go you have:Francis, Alston, Lucas III, & Brooks...:confused:
Don't forget Mike James as jasper dog said and Luther Head.

luvhoops34
07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
You really are a big Steve Francis fan, aren't you?

No, I'm a big Spurs fan. I just like to watch Stevie play.:)

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 03:07 PM
I think Brooks has the potential to be the real deal. I would like to see us move Alston for sure and maybe Lucus.

Astrosdawg07
07-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I think Brooks has the potential to be the real deal. I would like to see us move Alston for sure and maybe Lucus.

I would agree there. I think there will be a fight for shots though.

Phil C
07-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Good news for Houston indeed!

zebrablue2
07-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Franchise is back!

that is a good point, franchise. last time he was here they were building around him. this time it is around m&m. hopefully the stop this time will be a good one. ytbd, but I wish him the best.

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
that is a good point, franchise. last time he was here they were building around him. this time it is around m&m. hopefully the stop this time will be a good one. ytbd, but I wish him the best. Good point Blue.

Astrosdawg07
07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Good point Blue.

'Dat a boy "Blue"!

Bull's-eye
07-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Last season, Houston didn't have much of a bench and was very thin at point guard. Francis or James could take the role as the player who provides some instant offense off the bench. I'm not sure what this means for Alston or Head, but I believe John Lucas III will be dealt or released. Alston struggled shooting the ball, but ended up being the only guard JVG would trust to run the offense. Head was one of the NBA's top 3-pt shooters, but struggled running the offense. Rookie Aaron Brooks looked good in the summer league, which may allow Houston to move Alston or Head.

Houston went out and took care of their biggest need by trading for Argentina star PF Luis Scola. They have improved their point guard play and scoring off the bench with the additions of James and Francis. They also got a backup center in Jackie Butler. Basically, all this for an aging Juwan Howard, a 2nd round pick and a guard that wasn't going to play. Not a bad job for the new GM.

carter08
07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
He'll be fine as a 3rd option. He's back in Houston, with no State Income Tax. What else could we want.

g$$
07-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

As long as he accepts his role and plays hard every night it could be a nice move. I don't think Adelman will put up with his BS very long if he starts griping about minutes and shots.

It's a 1 year deal with a player option for the 2nd year, so no big thing. If he accepts his role & becomes a team guy, then MAYBE he can help playing in Adelman's up-tempo style. If not, he will be gone or at the end of the bench. He is not & never was Stevie Franchise as marketed. He could help though under the right circumstances. He is a 'tweener...not a point by skill & not a 2 guard by size. Not a great passer, not a great handler, & poor defender. He can score some. We'll see how it works.

Rockets have 6 PGs on the roster currently:
Alston
James
Francis
Lucas III
Brooks (rookie)
Sura (injured)

...expect trades & lots of roster moves soon. Probably James, Brooks, & Francis remain with team.

JR2004
07-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Well now the Western Conference might have some comedy to equal what the C's and Knicks bring to the table in the East. The Rockets have already went down this road once and failed. Stevie didn't like to feed Yao the ball at all the first time around. How in the world are you now going to expect him to give McGrady and Yao the ball? Throw in Bonzi to this mix and this could wind up being a highly entertaining brawl at some point this season!

luvhoops34
07-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Well now the Western Conference might have some comedy to equal what the C's and Knicks bring to the table in the East. The Rockets have already went down this road once and failed. Stevie didn't like to feed Yao the ball at all the first time around. How in the world are you now going to expect him to give McGrady and Yao the ball? Throw in Bonzi to this mix and this could wind up being a highly entertaining brawl at some point this season!

The more drama the better. Then Houston can compete with the fakers. Bring it on!:D

g$$
07-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Franchise is back!

Oh goodness no. Poor marketing strategy coming out of Dream era. Francis is not & never was that type of player. He can be a complementary part but not the "man". We'll see how it works out. He has bombed with way too many teams to be called "franchise" (Houston, Orlando, NY, Portland, back to Houston).

Expect Head, Snyder, Alston, Lucas, & maybe others to be moved. Too many backcourt players with additions of Francis, James, & Brooks.

Bull's-eye
07-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Francis is not & never was that type of player. He can be a complementary part but not the "man". We'll see how it works out. He has bombed with way too many teams to be called "franchise" (Houston, Orlando, NY, Portland, back to Houston).

I wouldn't say he bombed with way too many teams. Francis actually had some very good all around stats with the Rockets. He averaged around 19 pts, 6 assists and 6 rebounds. At the time, he was their top player. He was also a good enough player for the Rockets to land T-Mac and actually had a very good first season in Orlando. Injuries and playing behind Marbury lowered his stats, but saying he bombed in Portland is incorrect. He was just part of a trade and never even played for the Trailblazers.

luvhoops34
07-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I wouldn't say he bombed with way too many teams. Francis actually had some very good all around stats with the Rockets. He averaged around 19 pts, 6 assists and 6 rebounds. At the time, he was their top player. He was also a good enough player for the Rockets to land T-Mac and actually had a very good first season in Orlando. Injuries and playing behind Marbury lowered his stats, but saying he bombed in Portland is incorrect. He was just part of a trade and never even played for the Trailblazers.

Thank you!

g$$
07-20-2007, 02:19 AM

I am well aware Portland bought out his deal so he would go away (it was salary cap on both ends of the deal from NY for Zach Randolph). That was the point - he has never lived up to the billing as "franchise" & never will. He was part of the trade to land T-Mac along with Mobley & other considerations. For a 1st rounder taken as highly as he was, he has bombed out with numerous teams. Can he be a role player in Houston the 2nd time around? We will see, but not a star player & miscast as the savior the 1st time around. He simply is just not that good. 'Tweener guard, poor defender, not a PG but plays like an undersized 2, poor handler & distributor, but can score some. Time will tell but I am skeptical. Houston structured the deal so it will not be a long-term burden (2 year deal with an option on the 2nd year).

If he was all that, why would so many teams jettison him along & keep buying out his contract? Please answer that...

No, thank you!

Bull's-eye
07-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That was the point - he has never lived up to the billing as "franchise" & never will. For a 1st rounder taken as highly as he was, he has bombed out with numerous teams.
If he was all that, why would so many teams jettison him along & keep buying out his contract? Please answer that...

True, Francis never quite lived up to being the "Franchise", but he did help turn around a struggling Rockets organization. Francis did start out and appeared to be the "Franchise" for the Rockets. He got them back to the playoffs and had seasons where he was one of the most complete players in the NBA. He scored over 21 points, he averaged over 6 assists and 6 rebounds per game.

I'm not saying he's all that, but stating he bombed out is incorrect. He wasn't an Eddie Griffin or a Ryan Leaf. Being a high draft pick and having those good seasons with the Rockets, he commanded the big contract. Once you get paid like a superstar, you must perform like a superstar. Francis didn't and with his huge contract, teams were looking to get better value or add some cap relief. (The Spurs just gave away PF Luis Scola basically to free up some cap money. Most Spurs fans think this was a huge mistake).

Francis was like paying for a expensive steak, but they gave you a cheeseburger. He was good, but not for the price of a steak. The Rockets just paid for a cheeseburger and their only expecting a cheeseburger.

JasperDog94
07-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Probably James, Brooks, & Francis remain with team. I agree.

Also, what about Mutombo? He says he wants to come back...last I heard anyway.

Bull's-eye
07-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Here's a fine example why players get traded............MONEY!

The Suns traded center Kurt Thomas this morning in a move that relieves some salary-cap pressure.

Thomas goes to the Seattle SuperSonics, along with the Suns' own 2008 and 2010 first-round draft picks in exchange for a 2009 conditional 2nd round pick from Seattle (via Orlando) and a trade exception, worth about $8 million.

The league's new luxury tax threshold -- the number at which teams would begin to be taxed -- came in different from what the Suns expected, at $67.9 million, and would have left Phoenix more than $10 million over that number.

Seattle gets Thomas and 2 first round draft picks in exchange for a conditional 2nd round pick and a trade exception. :thinking:

g$$
07-20-2007, 05:34 PM
I agree.

Also, what about Mutombo? He says he wants to come back...last I heard anyway.

Not sure about the Rockets' plans here. Mutombo wants to play again, but they just acquired Jackie Butler from SA for basically the same role. I think Mutombo is gone personally. He did ok in spurts but his age has caught up with him.

JHS_c/o_06'
07-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang

yesterday, a guy a work with at Outback who works in the curbside take away area took out an order to Tim Duncan.

g$$
07-20-2007, 05:41 PM
True, Francis never quite lived up to being the "Franchise", but he did help turn around a struggling Rockets organization. Francis did start out and appeared to be the "Franchise" for the Rockets. He got them back to the playoffs and had seasons where he was one of the most complete players in the NBA. He scored over 21 points, he averaged over 6 assists and 6 rebounds per game.

I'm not saying he's all that, but stating he bombed out is incorrect. He wasn't an Eddie Griffin or a Ryan Leaf. Being a high draft pick and having those good seasons with the Rockets, he commanded the big contract. Once you get paid like a superstar, you must perform like a superstar. Francis didn't and with his huge contract, teams were looking to get better value or add some cap relief. (The Spurs just gave away PF Luis Scola basically to free up some cap money. Most Spurs fans think this was a huge mistake).

Francis was like paying for a expensive steak, but they gave you a cheeseburger. He was good, but not for the price of a steak. The Rockets just paid for a cheeseburger and their only expecting a cheeseburger.

Look, you are & I are on the same page here. You value Francis a little higher than I do but we both see his flaws. I never thought of him as the "franchise". Never - he is not that type of player you build a team around. Can he help? Maybe if he is set on winning games & not on making Sportscenter. You are tuned into the league as I am too. Also, Francis is a below avg. defender whose one skill is he can get to the rim & score. Not a good distributor & not a good handler by NBA standards. He has a streetball game. Some good years in Houston but never "franchise" quality. I do think he can help as a complementary piece if his mind is right.

And concerning the Thomas trade, you are exactly right: money & salary cap relief. The same reason Houston got Scola. It is the way of business now in the NBA.

Gobbla2001
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Maybe if he is set on winning games & not on making Sportscenter.

he used the "I was worried about making sportscenter, you get older and you wanna win games" today

g$$
07-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
he used the "I was worried about making sportscenter, you get older and you wanna win games" today

Really - did not hear his interview. If so, that's a good start. He's a likeable guy, now he needs to be a solid role player because that is what he is now in his career.

JR2004
07-20-2007, 08:08 PM
The more drama the better. Then Houston can compete with the fakers. Bring it on!:D

It doesn't matter what my team does because it'll get publicized one way or another, which is fine, because that's the way it is when you're the flagship franchise of the league. I've been getting a good laugh out of our decade-long never-ending soap opera. It keeps things interesting. :)

Besides that we just re-signed future HALL OF FAMER Chris Mihm. If we had him last season we go 82-0 and win every game by 50. Oh well we'll just have to settle for him doing that for us this season when he averages 30 and 20 and 10 blocks a game BY HALFTIME.

(Yeah I don't believe any of that either. I hate Mihm with a passion and hope that somehow he winds up having another season-ending injury. I think a jammed pinky finger is enough to sideline that bum for the season. If we traded him to a team in Siberia it wouldn't be far enough away for me!)

Bull's-eye
07-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Will Francis start or come in off the bench?

I think the Rockets will sell Francis on the idea of being instant offense off the bench. Last couple of seasons, the Rockets really struggled scoring when T-Mac or Yao went out of the game. Their bench play during the playoffs was terrible. Francis can still be one of the go to guys playing with the reserves. As a starter, he might not like being the 3rd or 4th option.

JasperDog94
07-20-2007, 09:40 PM

I think the Rockets will sell Francis on the idea of being instant offense off the bench. Last couple of seasons, the Rockets really struggled scoring when T-Mac or Yao went out of the game. Their bench play during the playoffs was terrible. Francis can still be one of the go to guys playing with the reserves. As a starter, he might not like being the 3rd or 4th option. Exactly!:clap: :clap:

g$$
07-21-2007, 04:56 AM

I think the Rockets will sell Francis on the idea of being instant offense off the bench. Last couple of seasons, the Rockets really struggled scoring when T-Mac or Yao went out of the game. Their bench play during the playoffs was terrible. Francis can still be one of the go to guys playing with the reserves. As a starter, he might not like being the 3rd or 4th option.

Agreed, IF he will accept this role to help the team. I could see him flourishing in this role, but if he still thinks of himself as the "franchise", it will not work. This is Yao's & T-Mac's team, period. Everyone else is just a complementary piece.

Good discussion.