PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Credits (serious question)

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Can someone please explain to me how buying carbon credits works? This is a serious question. I'm not trying to start anything.

3afan
07-19-2007, 10:50 AM
I thought that whole carbon credit thing was dead ...

JasperDog94
07-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Is it?

JasperDog94
07-25-2007, 05:08 PM
ttt...anyone?

shankbear
07-25-2007, 05:18 PM
GE credit card company is making it possible to buy carbon credits with their cards. I bet that you can get frequent flyer miles for those purchases. That would be covering all the bases. Ironic. Carboncreditcrappola.

JasperDog94
07-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I just can't seem to find anyone that really knows what they are.

Johnny 5
07-25-2007, 06:27 PM
The basic premise is that every human has a carbon footprint. That is how much carbon you use when you drive, are at home, cooking, etc . . . basically anytime you use energy that can be traced back to carbon based fuel . . . and breathing too.

When you purchase carbon credits, it is supposedly to help offset the carbon you put into the atmosphere. The money you put towards your carbon credit goes to help buy more environmental friendly sources of energy such as wind generators or planting trees.

JasperDog94
07-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
The basic premise is that every human has a carbon footprint. That is how much carbon you use when you drive, are at home, cooking, etc . . . basically anytime you use energy that can be traced back to carbon based fuel . . . and breathing too.

When you purchase carbon credits, it is supposedly to help offset the carbon you put into the atmosphere. The money you put towards your carbon credit goes to help buy more environmental friendly sources of energy such as wind generators or planting trees. So if I were to buy carbon credits from Al Gore, I could use more carbon based power and his company would use that money to buy more windmills and plant more trees?