PDA

View Full Version : Deal in works to televise Tatum-Gilmer football game

Aesculus gilmus
07-19-2007, 08:50 AM
A deal is in the works that would televise this season's Tatum-Gilmer football game, according to Tatum coach Andy Evans and Titus Sports Marketing spokesman Dave Stephenson.

Evans said Titus approached him and Gilmer coach Jeff Traylor offering the possibility to televise the game, which is during the second week of the season, but that a deal is not finalized and is still in the works.

More at link:
http://www.news-journal.com/sports/content/sports/stories/07192007___tatum_gilmer_tv.html

Gsquared
07-19-2007, 08:54 AM
And if this happens it will more than likely be played on Saturday. Cant wait for this one. This one should be a dog fight again. I still pick Gilmer but I think it will be 10 or under margin

Aesculus gilmus
07-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Somewhere in that article it says it will be played on Thursday, though.

It'll be excellent either day if they do move it to Tyler rather than play in Tatum.

TMF Rose might as well be Gilmer's home field.

Gsquared
07-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Oh on Thrusday? Will it still be part of the classic?

charlesrixey
07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
what channel would it be on?

21?

Aesculus gilmus
07-19-2007, 12:00 PM
"Evans said his understanding was that Fox Sports Southwest was most likely the channel that would broadcast the game."

Check your local listings. Here, Fox Sports Southwest is on Gilmer Cable Channel 18.

lostaussie
07-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Deal in works to televise Tatum-Gilmer football game

By GABRIEL D. BROOKS

Thursday, July 19, 2007

A deal is in the works that would televise this season's Tatum-Gilmer football game, according to Tatum coach Andy Evans and Titus Sports Marketing spokesman Dave Stephenson.

Evans said Titus approached him and Gilmer coach Jeff Traylor offering the possibility to televise the game, which is during the second week of the season, but that a deal is not finalized and is still in the works.

"We've not officially signed an agreement yet," Evans said. "I haven't signed the contract and I don't know if coach (Traylor) has signed it or not."

Gilmer hosted Tatum last season in a 45-21 Buckeye win, and this year's game was scheduled to be at Eagle Stadium in Tatum. However, University Interscholastic League rules prohibit televising a game on Friday nights, so the game would be held Thursday, Sept. 6 at 8 p.m. and would be moved to Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium in Tyler.

Stephenson said the agreement in the works included "six or seven different options," but did not go into any further detail. Evans said his understanding was that Fox Sports Southwest was most likely the channel that would broadcast the game.

"We are working on it and currently working on possible television for that game. It's going to take a couple weeks, but it's something we've been working on," Stephenson said. "It takes quite a while to put something together."

Stephenson said it could be August before a contract was finalized, but Evans is optimistic about the situation.

"It could fall through, but I don't think it's going to," said Evans, who recently got back from a vacation and hasn't been available for any discussion of the agreement.

Evans said he is reluctant to give up a home game, but that he got his captains involved in the decision to pursue the deal and his players wanted the chance to play on television.

"We were approached by this company about this being a marquee game and it being good exposure for our kids," Evans said. "We're doing it for our kids and trying to get our kids some exposure.

"We're getting to do some things at Tatum right now we haven't been able to do before. I asked the kids if they wanted to do it and several of them said yes. We've got some guys we feel like could get some recruiting exposure, and I felt like that was something coach Traylor's kids could benefit from as well."

Stephenson said a game including two established smaller schools was something Titus wants to be involved with.

"It's very seldom you get two very, very good small school programs coming together like they are in the second week of the season," Stephenson said.

Traylor could not be immediately reached for comment.

pirate4state
07-19-2007, 02:02 PM
If the game is moved to Thursday I won't be able to go, but at least I can watch on TV.

lostaussie
07-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Gilmer-Tatum game might be moved for television

By: Joe Dodd

The Gilmer Buckeyes' football game against the Tatum Eagles might be moved from a scheduled Friday night meeting at Eagle Stadium in Tatum to a Thursday night contest at Tyler's Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium. The move would accommodate a possible live television broadcast by Fox Sports Southwest.

Tatum head coach Andy Evans told the Longview News Journal that he had been contacted by Titus Sports Marketing, the promoters of the East Texas Football Classic, to see if he would be interested in moving the game to the Classic's open Thursday, Sept. 6th night slot. Evans was reluctant to give up a home game, but at the request of his team captains, decided to pursue the possibility of playing in a televised game.

Gilmer head coach Jeff Traylor, whose Buckeyes' have a 4-1 record against Tatum since Traylor took over the program in 2000, said that the decision to move the game is the Eagle's alone. “"It's Tatum's home game and we're going to play when and where ever they tell us to."”

"Andy's looking out for his kids. He's going to do what's best for Tatum's kids,"” said Traylor. “"He's stayed in contact with me and let me know what is going on, and I just reassured Andy that whatever he wants to do, we'll do whatever they want to do."”

The Buckeyes and Eagles are arguably the two most successful programs in East Texas. Gilmer sports an impressive 71-14 record under Traylor, and won a Class 3A state championship in 2004. Tatum's record since 2000 is 68-21, including a Class 3A state championship in 2005 and a Class 2A title last season.

Those impressive numbers should be plenty of reasons for television networks to be interested. But Traylor cautions that the possibility of a televised game has been presented before. “"It never has come through,"” stated Traylor. “"So I'm not getting my hopes up too high because I don't want my kids to be disappointed if we're not on TV."”

While the location and date of the game might be up in the air, Traylor said that doesn't matter. “"We're going to play them in Tatum, or we'll play them in Tyler, on whatever day they want to play or where ever they want to play. If its on TV good; if it's not, that will be fine too."”

charlesrixey
07-21-2007, 09:25 AM
if this happens, could i get someone to tape it for me?