PDA

View Full Version : MLB has changed a lot since 1974

Bull Butter
07-18-2007, 04:00 PM
1974--When Henry Aaron entered the '74 season 2 HR short of breaking Ruth's record, The Braves planned to sit him out during a series in Cincinnati. Commisioner Bowie Kuhn stepped in and ordered the Braves to play him in at least 2 of the games.

2007--Barry Bonds is close to breaking Aaron's record; they are playing a series in Chicago, Bonds has sat out 3 games and Bud Selig has said nada.

Keith7
07-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty sure it is because he needs the rest

pirate4state
07-18-2007, 04:13 PM
You know, I really think he DOES NOT want to be present when and if Barry breaks Aaron's record, and I would respect him more if he wasn't there, BUT b/c he is the commish he'll be there and put on a show for the media. :dispntd: :dispntd:

I don't know what to think anymore with this whole situation.

On the one hand I think he needs to be there b/c HELLO he is the Commissioner of Baseball and it's his job. We all have things that are part of our jobs that we don't like to do, but we do them anyway. For him to keep everyone guessing is both brilliant & stupid all at the same time! :crazy1: :D

On the other hand, if he believes that Barry is guilty of tainting the record books - why would you want to celebrate? :thinking:

Oh well....

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You know, I really think he DOES NOT want to be present when and if Barry breaks Aaron's record, and I would respect him more if he wasn't there, BUT b/c he is the commish he'll be there and put on a show for the media. :dispntd: :dispntd:

I don't know what to think anymore with this whole situation.

On the one hand I think he needs to be there b/c HELLO he is the Commissioner of Baseball and it's his job. We all have things that are part of our jobs that we don't like to do, but we do them anyway. For him to keep everyone guessing is both brilliant & stupid all at the same time! :crazy1: :D

On the other hand, if he believes that Barry is guilty of tainting the record books - why would you want to celebrate? :thinking:

Oh well....

Selig did nothing while Roids and long balls were dominating the sport and pushing it popularity sky high so to act high and mighty now and not attend is wrong in my opinion...If Bonds had failed a test, I would understand, but the fact is Selig needs to be there because it is a historical record

JasperDog94
07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
It won't matter in 8 years. A-Rod will break Bonds' record.

JasperDog94
07-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Selig did nothing while Roids and long balls were dominating the sport and pushing it popularity sky high so to act high and mighty now and not attend is wrong in my opinion...If Bonds had failed a test, I would understand, but the fact is Selig needs to be there because it is a historical record It's much deeper than that TX. Several years ago, when roids were the big story, Selig went to Bonds and asked him if he needed to watch for any reports linking him to roids. He wanted to protect the guy that could potentially break the HR record. Bonds assured Selig that there was nothing to worry about. Then when all this evidence about Bonds using came out, Selig was ticked off and has never forgiven Barry.

charlesrixey
07-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
It won't matter in 8 years. A-Rod will break Bonds' record.

yep

i remember when Griffey was the heir apparent, but now A-Rod is a shoo-in

Pujols may come close, but i think rodriguez has the best chance

sahen
07-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
yep

if you remember when griffey was the heir apparaent then you should know you cant just assume ARod will get there....8 more years is a long time for ARod to stay healthy and keep playing at the level he is at.....

Mustangpride09
07-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, saying he is guaranteed to break it is kinda naive.

JR2004
07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Selig did nothing while Roids and long balls were dominating the sport and pushing it popularity sky high so to act high and mighty now and not attend is wrong in my opinion...If Bonds had failed a test, I would understand, but the fact is Selig needs to be there because it is a historical record

This might be the first post I've seen of yours in months that doesn't have every other word in ALL CAPS.

Selig really doesn't need to be there for this sham. I also don't think he will show up due to his decades-long close friendship with Hammerin Hank. I think the only way he will willingly go to this is if Hank accompanies him or asks him to go ahead and attend.

JR2004
07-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
yep

This record is Arod's to break. He's stayed healthy throughout his career and as long as he's over there at 3rd, he should be able to stay relatively healthy and break the record in about 7 or 8 years. Assuming Barroid hangs it up after this season, Arod could potentially join Josh Gibson as the only 2 pro baseball players in the US to hit 800 homers for their respective careers.

g$$
07-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Correct. And, Bonds is still a jerk & a cheat (along with others).

No win situation baseball has put themselves in by not acting sooner. Only now under pressure have they tried to make some changes.

Bull Butter
07-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Most are missing my original point

My point is about the power of the commish in 1974 as opposed to now. Hank Aaron was REQUIRED to play in 2 of 3 road games because Bowie Kuhn said so.

Today Bonds sits out an entire series on the road and the Commisioner has no say so in the matter:(

raider red 2000
07-19-2007, 12:17 AM
if the guy claims that he is injured...or some other sort of excuse....what are you supposed to do?

suspend him :)

no home games until you play some road games ;)

coach
07-19-2007, 12:24 AM
who gives a rats a$$ about bonds missing a feew games and 35 yrs ago henry tried but couldnt....

Bull Butter
07-19-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm sure that lots of fans who paid outrageous money for tickets (about 10 times more than people in Cincy paid in 1974) give a rats a$$ about Bonds getting to play