PDA

View Full Version : Columbia names new football coach

18handicap
07-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Surovik named football coach at Columbia

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published July 18, 2007

WEST COLUMBIA — Having waited patiently for his opportunity, Columbia’s Leland Surovik finally will get his chance.

The Columbia-Brazoria ISD board Tuesday night approved the hiring of the nine-year defensive coordinator for the Columbia Roughnecks as head football coach. Besides serving as the defensive coordinator, Surovik also was the assistant head coach for the last six years under Brian Lane.

“It feels awesome, I can’t even describe it,” Surovik said. “I would assume that being here for the last nine years and being involved in the community probably helped me a lot.”

Out of 15 applicants for the position, seven were scheduled to be interviewed, but only four showed up at the process. Including Surovik, also interviewed were Rob Davies from Class 5A South Grand Prairie, and Columbia’s boys head basketball coach, John Vernor, and offensive coordinator Shane Armbrister.

“The program is already set in and I hope to be able to continue to continue the progress forward and keep the winning tradition,” Surovik said. “I hope to keep all the coaches as well.”

A 1996 graduate of Southwest Texas State, now called Texas State, Surovik joined the La Marque program that season in the fall. As the linebacker-secondary coach along with special teams coordinator, he helped guide the Class 4A Cougars to the 1996 and 1997 state championships.

He joined Lane at Columbia in 1998 and helped build one of the top 10 defenses in the Houston area.

Since 2003, he has been the school’s powerlifting head coach and has helped build a strong program that included two-time state champion Jordan Barrett in 2006 and 2007.

Lane had served both as athletics director and head football coach. However, the athletics director position was not filled at this time.

“The recommendation was that Leland would be the right man to continue our excellence that we’ve shown in the football program,” board president Lynn Klement said. “So that is the decision that was made at this point and time.

“The decision was also made that Leland would take over as the head football coach and the administrative duties associated with athletics director position will be done on an interim basis by Steve Galloway, the principal at the high school.”

The ’Necks have been in the playoffs four of the last six season. Columbia finished 8-5 last season, making it to the Class 3A, Region III, Division I final.

maestro
07-18-2007, 07:17 AM
promotion from within.....honoring loyality and excellence..

i congradulate columbia......

zebrablue2
07-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by maestro

i congradulate columbia......

well put, I wish the necks all the luck in the world. keep
it up.

Rocket Dad
07-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Glad to see them promote from within, but why even take applications from the outside so late in the summer?

carter08
07-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Good move.

Last month when I was told about Lane's leaving, the news was broke to me as "How'd you like Surovik to be head coach?", so I can't say I'm surprised.

raider red 2000
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
congrats to him.

good luck.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by maestro

i congratulate columbia......

Couldn't have said it better myself.

g$$
07-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Best of luck. Must have been thought to be a done deal if only 4 showed up to be interviewed. Should make for an easier transition.