PDA

View Full Version : Long Time Starter and Friend Passes

burnet44
07-16-2007, 10:40 PM
He may have shot some of your meets.
I worked the state meet with the Col. for 25 years.
He will be missed.
J. Fred Duckett a long time Texas Relay and State meet announcer also passed away recently.

Prayers to his family especailly Bill Jr. who I've worked with many times.

http://image.aausports.org/photos/07colonelsz3.jpg

AAU mourns the loss of its First Vice President Colonel William Tooke

JULY 16, 2007 - AAU mourns the loss of its First Vice President Colonel William Tooke. Known to many as “Colonel,” he served the AAU in many capacities, including the National Athletics Chair, Regional Director and South Texas AAU District Governor.

Colonel Tooke passed away Thursday, July 12 following complications from illness. He lived a blessed 83 years. He was preceded in death by his wife Marian in 2002. Colonel is survived by six children: Barbara Anderson of Sacramento, CA, William Tooke Jr. of Corpus Christi, TX, Robert Tooke of Denver, CO, John Tooke of Denver, CO, Elizabeth Segura, Universal City, TX, and Rebecca Tooke Universal City, TX. He is survived by three grandchildren: Richard Cakanec, Koda Escobedo, Ysa Segura and one great grandchild, Julian Connor Escobedo.

A member of the "Greatest Generation," Colonel was five years old when the stock market crashed in 1929, and 17 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Born in Shreveport, LA, Colonel’s family moved to Tulsa, OK where he spent his formative years. In 1942, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps. During the course of the World War II, he flew the P-51 Mustang over Europe. In 1945 following his service, he earned his degree from Tulsa University. He and Marian were married on February 7, 1946.

In 1949, Colonel began teaching and coaching at Tulsa Central High School, his alma mater. Two years later he was called to protect and defend his country once again, and served in the Korean War. It was during the Korean War, when Colonel decided to make military service a career. Later, he saw action flying the F-4 Phantom during the Vietnam War where he escaped capture after he was shot down in 1966. He attained the rank of Colonel before retiring in 1970.

Colonel started working as a substitute teacher at Judson High School in Converse, TX following his military service. He continued as a substitute until 1975 when he became a full-time faculty member. He joined the coaching staff in the early 70’s after being asked by then-Athletic Director Roy Wallace. Colonel retired from teaching and coaching in 1995.

In 1973, Colonel began volunteering for the Amateur Athletic Union of the United States, Inc., as a Regional Field Representative. Ultimately, he became National Track and Field Chair in 1982 and was elected First Vice President in 1994 by the AAU Board of Directors.

Colonel Tooke, a Track and Field legend, was known not only in AAU circles but throughout the athletics community including USA Track and Field, NCAA, and the Olympic movement. Colonel’s name is synonymous with the sport among coaches and officials who value his wisdom and counsel. “You talk about a resource, “said Dub Farris, former Athletic Director of the Northside Independent School District. “The things you can learn from him, you don’t get out of a book.”

Funeral service with full military honors will be held on Thursday, July 19 at 1:30 PM, at Fort Sam Houston Cemetery. A reception honoring Colonel William Tooke will follow at the Universal United Methodist Church.

Services are being conducted by Colonial Funeral Home, 625 Kitty Hawk Road, Universal City, TX 78148.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials be made to the Marion and William Tooke, South Texas AAU Scholarship Program in C/O South Texas AAU 4879 Castle Lance, San Antonio, TX 78218. For AAU friends, cards may be sent to family at 106 Beechwood, University City, TX 78148

Rest in peace, Colonel. You will be missed.

charlesrixey
07-16-2007, 10:43 PM
:(

another hero from the truly 'greatest generation'

burnet44
07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
:(

another hero from the truly 'greatest generation'

In every sense of the word a true hero

LH Panther Mom
07-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Prayers for the family and friends during this time. RIP

rundoe
07-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Prayers from our family too.

luvhoops34
07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
David Flores: AAU family remembers 'Col. Tooke'

Web Posted: 07/17/2007 12:09 AM CDT

Express-News

LaBruce Bray was at Alamo Stadium on Thursday preparing for another day of the AAU Region IX track and field meet when his cell phone rang at about 5:30 a.m.
The caller had sad news.

William Tooke Sr., an institution in Amateur Athletic Union circles and Bray's mentor for 27 years, had died earlier that morning after a short illness. He was 83.

For Bray, governor of the South Texas AAU, it was like losing a member of his family.

For those of us who respected and admired Tooke for his selfless dedication to young people, his death marked the end of an era in local amateur sports. His passing leaves a sizable void in the AAU community.

No one knows that more than Bray and his family, who shared a special relationship with Tooke.

"We were very close," Bray said Monday, his voice cracking with emotion. "It was very tough when I got that call. I literally sat down in the middle of the track at Alamo Stadium and cried like a baby."

Two of Bray's children soon joined their father, comforting him as they choked back their own tears. They sat on the track for a few minutes before praying together.

Then it was back to work, just as Tooke would have demanded.

A retired Air Force colonel, Tooke was a stickler for protocol and passionate about track and field.

More importantly, he loved the kids who competed in AAU meets.

"He was there for the kids and he never lost sight of that," said LaBruce Bray II, a 1998 Judson graduate who works with the South Texas AAU.

Tooke coached at Judson from 1972-95.

While most South Texas sports fans never have heard of Tooke, he was known and admired by many track and field athletes, coaches and officials throughout his 36-year association with the AAU in this area.

Affectionately called "Col. Tooke" by those who knew him, Tooke was first vice president of the national AAU when he died. All told, Tooke was involved with the AAU as an athlete, coach and administrator for more than 50 years.

Tooke, who was born in Shreveport, La., but grew up in Tulsa, Okla., joined the South Texas AAU after his discharge from the Air Force in 1971. His wife, Marian, shared Tooke's passion for track and was a fixture at meets. When Marian died of cancer in 2002, Tooke's AAU family was there to help him through the tough times.

"I don't know what I would have done without these great people after Marian died," he said in April 2006.

Even as his health began to fail, Tooke couldn't stay away from track meets and his loyal friends.

That's why officials who worked with Tooke felt an emptiness in their hearts at last week's Region IX meet.

"I stood out in the middle of the field at Alamo Stadium and looked up to the press box several times last week," LaBruce Bray said. "It was eerie to know he wasn't up there watching me. That's when it hit me that my mentor was gone and the baton has been passed."

Bray's wife, Debra, who serves as registrar for South Texas AAU, choked back tears as she recalled how much Tooke was missed last week.

"We actually looked for him several times, even though we knew he wouldn't be there," she said. "I can't tell you how many officials had tears running down their faces while they were running their events."

Tooke, who served with the Army during World War II and was on Omaha Beach during the first few hours of the Normandy invasion in 1944, will be buried at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery at 1:30 p.m. Thursday. A reception will follow at Universal City United Methodist Church. Tooke also served with the Air Force during the Korean War and Vietnam War.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that contributions be made to the Marian and William Tooke South Texas AAU Scholarship Fund. Contributions can be sent to South Texas AAU, 4879 Castle Lance, San Antonio, 78218.

No doubt, Col. Tooke was a unique person who will be missed by many.

Vaya con Dios, amigo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dflores@express-news.net

g$$
07-18-2007, 11:34 PM
RIP J. Fred Duckett. Lots of childhood memories at the Dome & elsewhere with him on the microphone.

Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzz!

burnet44
07-19-2007, 12:18 AM
J Fred

"those of you in the javelin area remember if it hits you we measure first" classic

g$$
07-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
J Fred

"those of you in the javelin area remember if it hits you we measure first" classic

I heard him as recently as January doing the Indoors at U. of Houston. Sad deal for both men.