PDA

View Full Version : What kind of spider is this?

Emerson1
07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
They are hanging out in the bed of my truck.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/9642/spider002bn2.jpg

I was to scared to get any closer so I zoomed in and it's kind of blury. :D

rangerjim
07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
That's just an old regular Garden Spider. Used to collect them in a jar when i was a kid. They can get pretty big but are pretty harmless. Even if they bit it would be like a bee sting.

Cool thing is you'll notice a "Z" shaped zig-zag in the middle of their webs. It's actually irridescent (means it looks cool with a black light). Bugs at night are attracted to the pretty"Z", don't see the rest of the web, and end up as breakfast.

Fotbol
07-16-2007, 03:22 PM
That's an aberigenese spider!

Ranger Mom
07-16-2007, 03:29 PM
It's not a brown recluse

http://www.badspiderbites.com/images/brown-recluse-spiders.jpg

nor is it a black widow

http://www.nobuggy.com/images/black_widow_5.jpg

and considering those are the only 2 deadly spiders in the United States...you are perfectly safe!

Man...I hope Rita looks at this thread!!:D :D (Just the fact that it has the word "spider" in the title, she probably won't even click on it):p

charlesrixey
07-16-2007, 03:35 PM
garden spiders

the "agressive house spider" is also a fairly dangerous spider, although no more so than the other two; it is just a newer addition as an exotic species mistakenly introduced into the US

All three can be fatal if not treated, but even untreated they are less deadly than is commonly believed

pirate4state
07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It's not a brown recluse

nor is it a black widow

and considering those are the only 2 deadly spiders in the United States...you are perfectly safe!

Man...I hope Rita looks at this thread!!:D :D (Just the fact that it has the word "spider" in the title, she probably won't even click on it):p

omg it actually hurt my stomach to open this thread :doh: then i just scrolled down real fast, b/c i've seen Kyle's spider and it creeps me out. :hairpunk:

rangerjim
07-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Has anyone on 3adownlow ever see the Texas Barking Spider. They are way cool................ You'd recognize the sound they make if you ever heard it once!!!!!!!

I'll try to track down a picture unless somebody cuts one on the site before me.

charlesrixey
07-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
Has anyone on 3adownlow ever see the Texas Barking Spider. They are way cool................ You'd recognize the sound they make if you ever heard it once!!!!!!!

I'll try to track down a picture unless somebody cuts one on the site before me.

i think they have them in other places besides texas

;) :p

charlesrixey
07-16-2007, 04:04 PM
has anyone ever thrown a daddy long-legs into the fire and heard the hissing whine they make?

Keith7
07-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
has anyone ever thrown a daddy long-legs into the fire and heard the hissing whine they make?

don't let peta read this

rangerjim
07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
OK

I now know we don't have a very outdoorsy bunch on the downlow........ A barking spider is another name for farting in the woods. I would have thought at least one person would have taken the bait......................

I did give myself a good laugh over the post though (see if you can find my clue in the post as to what the barking spider is?). Another scary thing is that this is the second post I have degraded to breaking wind today. Maybe that's why I don't have any friends..................

charlesrixey was right though - they do have barking spiders in other places

luvhoops34
07-16-2007, 05:08 PM
haha barking spiders.....:D

I am scared chitless of spiders. I don't like to look at them, or talk about them.:eek:

carter08
07-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I hate when I'm in tent, and i open my eyes, and theres a spider there. Kinda freaks me out. Then I see its a Daddy Long Legs, so I open the door and set it outside.

luvhoops34
07-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They are hanging out in the bed of my truck.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/9642/spider002bn2.jpg

I was to scared to get any closer so I zoomed in and it's kind of blury. :D

You don't get outside much, do ya' babe? Those are all over my porch, front and back. They catch flies and insects. Good to have around.

Emerson1
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Forney is the spider capital of Texas(just ask txbroadcaster). I need to know what these things are called.

luvhoops34
07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Forney is the spider capital of Texas(just ask txbroadcaster). I need to know what these things are called.

There are a lot of spiders right now because of all the rain.

luvhoops34
07-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

lepfan
07-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
You don't get outside much, do ya' babe? Getting outside means he would have to sweat...

luvhoops34
07-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Getting outside means he would have to sweat...

Heaven forbid.....:D He did get out today and mowed TXBROADCASTER'S lawn.

burnet44
07-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i think they have them in other places

;) :p

kinda like camel Spiders huh CR?

Cameron Crazy
07-16-2007, 08:14 PM
I would hate for that to be in bed with me.

Emerson1
07-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Getting outside means he would have to sweat...
You can just ask buffy or tx about the big sweat spot I left on their couch.

AP Panther Fan
07-16-2007, 09:07 PM

cuts one....

y'all are gross, but entertaining...

luvhoops34
07-16-2007, 10:03 PM
You can just ask buffy or tx about the big sweat spot I left on their couch.

If you were all sweaty, why were you sitting on their couch? You should have been outside mowing the grass and trimming the hedges! You should be horsewhipped! ;)

Emerson1
07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
If you were all sweaty, why were you sitting on their couch? You should have been outside mowing the grass and trimming the hedges! You should be horsewhipped! ;)
They don't have hedges, and that stuff in the backyard was not grass. One of the weeds ate my shoe.

and it wasn't leather, so it absorbed :D

charlesrixey
07-16-2007, 10:13 PM
OK

I now know we don't have a very outdoorsy bunch on the downlow........ A barking spider is another name for farting in the woods. I would have thought at least one person would have taken the bait......................

I did give myself a good laugh over the post though (see if you can find my clue in the post as to what the barking spider is?). Another scary thing is that this is the second post I have degraded to breaking wind today. Maybe that's why I don't have any friends..................

i'm surprised no one else caught that, r jim

oo, that reminds me, i have been gone all evening, let me go check out that other thread!

lepfan
07-16-2007, 11:40 PM
They don't have hedges, and that stuff in the backyard was not grass. One of the weeds ate my shoe.

and it wasn't leather, so it absorbed :D LOL

Pudlugger
07-17-2007, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It's not a brown recluse

nor is it a black widow

I was bitten by a black widow in 1995 while carrying a box down from the barn loft. I had pain and joint immobility for 3 months afterwards. It was awful. I felt like I was 95 years old LOL. That picture is what I trefer to as a "banana" spider very common in central Texas especially in wet seasons. Harmless as spiders go.

rundoe
07-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Cure for "barking spiders"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFMKJbZGRY

OK

rangerjim
07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Am bored at work so I googled barking spiders. 89,000 hits - that's scary. If I was smart I would have copyrighted "barking spiders" years ago and got a cut of the name like Pat Riley with "threepeat".

See how I turned flatulance into a sports topic - man I've been on a roll the last couple of days.........

rangerjim
07-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Golden Silk Orb Weaver or garden spider is correct...

LuvHoops wins - seeing how you hate spiders you dun good.

Someone said the banana spider too - close but that's a different one. They have those in southern FL and while they look alike - they are actually a lot bigger than the garden spider. Their bodies get about as big as your thimb and with legs extended can be up to 7" long (at least the ones I've seen). Their webs are wide enough to go across small roads and it's no fun walking through the middle of one at night.

luvhoops34
07-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Golden Silk Orb Weaver or garden spider is correct...

LuvHoops wins - seeing how you hate spiders you dun good.

Someone said the banana spider too - close but that's a different one. They have those in southern FL and while they look alike - they are actually a lot bigger than the garden spider. Their bodies get about as big as your thimb and with legs extended can be up to 7" long (at least the ones I've seen). Their webs are wide enough to go across small roads and it's no fun walking through the middle of one at night.

*shiver*

luvhoops34
07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
I have had several "close encounters" with Orb Weaver Spiders. None of the pleasant. Most occured when riding horseback and having one of the damm things get on my legs, or head. Not fun. I know they are basically harmless, but spiders freak me out.

pooch
07-17-2007, 03:38 PM
we had a manager in HS named Spider.

chaingang
07-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Actually, a Golden Silk Orb Weaver IS a banana spider. There are different sizes.

By the way, I have noticed Forney is the spider capital of Texas. Is it strange that I killed 4 black widows in my guarage thursday? Being from the swamps of SETX, im used to brown recluses, but never seen a black widow. I see 4 my first time?