PDA

View Full Version : Wills Point

WpGrad03
08-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Hey everyone, just seeking a little info from anyone who might have it... I know very little about the team this year, if they will really be worth much acclaim.. what I'm wondering is how Wills Point did against White Oak, and who they are scrimmaging next with possible location... BTW for anyone who was avid on the site last year, I am WpSr03 or something like that, lost my password and don't have access to my old email account :( Thanks for the help anyone who responds!

Rabbit'93
08-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Hey welcome back. Ya know I hate to say it, but I see the Point doing the same as last year. Running the table during regular and district but making an early exit out of the playoffs.

WpGrad03
08-19-2003, 11:40 PM
From my limited knowledge on the team this year, I might agree with you except for the fact that I have not witnessed this team play. Of course most anyone from Forney would say that (no offense) for you guys seem to love our faults and failures more than anyone else. But I love this team (not this town) no matter who may be on it, and I maintain faith that WP's year is upon us, sometime within the next 5 years. It has been building to this for some time, and I hope to see it soon. If I could get some kind of info on a scrimmage I would check it out, but any friends of mine have no clue and I have no real connections in the school that I talked to more than maybe over lunch or in class last year. All I know about this year really is that there are 6 returning starters on the D and that in itself will make it a hell of a D. But, the offense to my understanding is untested up to this year, and I fear the worst for it. But who knows... and I'm still guessing that NO ONE has a clue as to WP's performance against White Oak. If anyone does though, I maintain that I would love to know how it went...

necks
08-20-2003, 10:43 AM
White Oak and Wills Point tied 1-1 in their scrimmage. Both teams also had touchdowns called back due to penalties. I did not attend the game but have spoken with some that have and have seen the overall stats. Total yardage was about dead even. WP had more success throwing than running on the Roughneck defense I am told. Overall I think it was a pretty good showing for White Oak with a new head coach and playing a team coming off a real successful campaign. Time will tell though.

WpGrad03
08-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info necks. Hearing that the running game for WP was far less than stellar is somewhat dissappointing for the fact that I had hoped the offense could be somewhat more balanced than last years. A good passing game is great for the fans to watch, but it will always have it's pitfalls against a great team. Hopefully they can upgrade the running game can upgrade to the level of the passing game this year (If the passing game really is good this year). I know nothing of White Oak so I don't know how to make a comparison aspect with the performance. But again, thanks for the info... Anyone know of the next scrimmage?

merlin69
08-20-2003, 12:41 PM
As usual WP is probably way OVER RATED... they usually are, but i could be wrong.

Gilmer Buckeye
08-20-2003, 01:24 PM
WpGrad03, I had never been to a game in Wills Point until Gilmer's game with y'all last season. I think it was 30-23, Wills Point, as the final score. Something like that. We nearly pulled an upset and probably would have were it not for the goalline stand the Tigers made right before the end of the first half. Everyone was drained on both sides afterwards.

It was one of the most exciting games I saw all season. Plus, you guys have an excellent facility. Indeed, the whole high school looked almost brand-new. It's hard to believe how fast WP is growing in enrollment.

I look forward to the rematch at Buckeye Stadium on Sept. 13. I would imagine Gilmer will be favored this season, but it ought to be a good game again.

WpGrad03
08-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Merlin, please, that's a joke. WP always overrated? Until last year, I can't ever remember WP even being rated! And I don't think we were overrated last year, the only thing you could put forth on that was that we ran the table on easy teams. So what, not our fault that was our district. But nearly EVERY poll I saw had us in the top 10, most right above top 5. I don't see how it could have been a mistake. We put up a hell of a fight against Forney in Bi... in the first half. Yea, we fell apart, but for that half I think we and Forney both played like top 5 teams. But but but that's last season and I have done nothing but inquire as to THIS season. Overrated? (top 10 DMN) Probably... but we'll see. You never know, we could have a break away year. I've found a spirit in WP football players throughout my high school enrollment, and I think it WILL amount to something soon. And Gilmer Buckeye, yea that was the most exciting game I ever watched, by far. Ya'll were a great team, and were only shadowed in the polls because of that loss (in my uncared for opinion which usually laughed at on here) when ya'll should have been in the corner of EVERYONE'S eyes. I do believe ya'll will be largely favored this year, and I hope to see you guys really break away in your season. It is a game I look truly forward to. Anyways... any info on a WP scrimmage comming up? Anyone??

merlin69
08-21-2003, 09:01 AM
WP was without a doubt one of the most overrated teams last season, and i didnt think they put up a very good game for Forney, i saw the game, and i wasnt impressed at all.

WpGrad03
08-21-2003, 10:42 AM
...wasn't impressed? Maybe not with the last half, when Forney tore us a new a-hole. But in the first, we played extremely well. In the first quarter we were amazing, but that faded into just keeping with forney for the second half. But the first half ended like 12-10 I believe, and against Forney (last year) that is amazing. We kept THEM down untill the last couple minutes of the first half. Second half we lost the game. Enough said on that. I WANT SCRIMMAGE INFO!!! That's all I ever wanted :( ...

Gilmer Buckeye
08-21-2003, 11:42 AM
I don't know who you scrimmage next or where, but here is a link to an article from the Longview newspaper about your White Oak scrimmage.

http://www.news-journal.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/08/17/1061098372.00100.1187.1248.html

WpGrad03
08-21-2003, 04:39 PM
You have your opinion, and I've said my piece. Guess there's no scrimmage info, so I'll end this thread if nothing worth argueing pops up.

WpGrad03
08-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Ok disregard that my cache is messed and the merlins message was showing at the bottom... thanks Gilmer Buckeye...

merlin69
08-22-2003, 12:09 AM
well since i hurt your feelings when i told you that your team didnt impress me, if it makes you feel any better forney scrimmaged Jesuit tonight and they beat Jesuit but still did not look too hot.

WpGrad03
08-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Merlin... you didn't hurt my feelings. Don't be absurd ok? As I said a couple posts ago, you have your opinion. I just got tired of hearing we were so overrated when I grew up with those guys and know if anything they were underrated. They played a bad game against Forney, much of which was a coaching problem as I watched the game and screamed my lungs off at half the stupid choices the coaches made. WP did amazing the whole year sticking to the formula that worked with those guys, and for Forney, they switched everything around and it was ridiculous. They only reverted back to a last attempt to shine with passing in like the last quarter, when we were laughably destroyed. That's the luck I guess. It doesn't make mean anything to me that Forney wasn't so hot against Jesuit. Forney will be awesome this year, as always, and scrimmages mean little. I do wish you good luck, for though Forney despises us so much, I do actually enjoy following up on the Forney crew weekly. They a good bunch of guys with a great coach. Good luck to another state run guys.

3afan
08-22-2003, 12:55 PM
WP did "amazing" last season with an incredibly weak schedule. now thats not their fault ... 3 years from now that same schedule could be a tough one. but thats how it turned out - a very, very, VERY weak schedule. Their district might have been the weakest in AAA. as a result, their big loss to Forney was not that surprising IMHO.

WpGrad03
08-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Yea, that's the downside of believing you have a great team in our district. I think our district IS the weakest in AAA. I would love to be in a district with 2 or 3 good teams (at least top 50 lol). But that's the luck of the draw. I mean, if Forney had been in our district but played, idk, Everman in bi and lost... think of it, everyone would have said ya'll were overrated, and only shined in regular becuase of an incredibly weak schedule. Forney wouldn't appreciate that very much. But whether we were that great or not, no one will ever know and it can never really be proved, because an amazing team knocked us out in bi. It's ironic, but that's the high school football we all love. Some teams get the love, some don't. Maybe one day WP will be in a stronger district, maybe not. Who knows, but untill then, I'll be watching my team and having fun doing it, and that's really what it's all about, right?

3afan
08-22-2003, 01:51 PM
yup - so much is determined by the luck of the draw ....

Rabbit'93
08-22-2003, 02:14 PM
very well said WPgrad!