PDA

View Full Version : Good 7-on-7 article (DMN)

3afan
07-15-2007, 06:13 PM
How much 7-on-7 helps isn't uniform
01:07 AM CDT on Sunday, July 15, 2007

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – According to the official rules for the FSN Southwest 7-on-7 State Championship, "no football jerseys of any type shall be worn."

It's appropriate because 7-on-7 football isn't really football. No pads, no helmets, no blocking, no tackling. And there's no doubt that Southlake Carroll would beat Edcouch-Elsa in the fall.

But Edcouch-Elsa, a 4A school near the southern tip of Texas, beat Carroll on Friday in pool play. So did The Woodlands, giving Carroll these numbers:

On the traditional field of glory, one loss in five years. On a Texas A&M intramural field that by Saturday was a field of mud, two losses in one day.

That's the best evidence that watching 7-on-7 isn't a good way to get a read on the full-contact, full-stadium season. It's like predicting the World Series champ after watching batting practice.

And practice is what 7-on-7 really is. For the offenses, it's a constant two-minute drill that allows quarterbacks and receivers to build chemistry. For defensive players, it's an opportunity to learn coverages.

"All you're thinking about is where your man is going to be next," said Plano East defensive back Josh Brown. "You've got to be on top of your job."
High Schools

"Six good practices" is what one Coppell coach told his team after its run ended in the quarterfinals. Some teams got as many as eight "practices," pushing their endurance in the summer weather.

But for the players, this was much better than practice.

"It's pure energy," said Arlington Bowie safety Dexter Linton. "You can't really hit, so you go full out on emotion."

Yes, there was a lot of emotion in the tournament. A lot of pride, too, which led to some heated competition.

"It's very intense," said Rockwall receiver Jarron White, who caught the winning touchdown in a round-of-16 victory against Lake Travis. "It feels like the regular season to me. We just don't have on the pads."

They don't have their high school coaches on the sidelines, either, because the rules don't allow them to coach. But the coaches could cheer for their players during the tournament, and they did with gusto from behind the end zones.

"We're still in the program-building mode," said Arlington Bowie's Kenny Perry. "With me, I want to win whether it's checkers, horseshoes or this. And I want them to understand that we want to win every dang game."

They seemed to understand. After a 32-31 loss to Georgetown in the semifinals, several Bowie players were in tears. It was a similar scene on the adjoining field after Arlington Lamar lost its semifinal, 35-34, to Houston Stratford.

Even the fans, who were sparse when the 7-on-7 state tournament made its debut nine years ago, were emotional. They filled the sidelines, battled the alternating rain and sunshine, and battered the officials with complaints of "he's holding!" and "he's pushing!" and – borrowed from baseball – "he missed the tag!"

"It feels like Friday night sometimes," said Carroll receiver Blake Cantu. "You kind of lose yourself in the moment."

Until he sees that Carroll is losing, of course. That's one sign that the season when jerseys must be worn hasn't started yet.

But that's little more than a month away, and the 7-on-7 competition got many players thinking ahead to 11-on-11.

"This definitely gets you ready," Coppell quarterback Dalton Williams said. "It gets you wanting to play."

JR2004
07-15-2007, 07:21 PM
They're exactly what those coaches called them, practices, and nothing more. 7 on 7 has no bearing on what will happen once the pads are put on. I'm sure Carroll losing to Edcouch-Elsa can fully confirm how worthless the scoreboard results from this stuff is.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Hmm? DMN trying to help SLC save face after losing to a team from the Rio Grande Valley?

And 7 on 7 is worthless? Try telling that to the kids that play it.

3afan
07-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
Hmm? DMN trying to help SLC save face after losing to a team from the Rio Grande Valley?

:rolleyes:

YES - the scoreboard results are essentially worthless ... its the WORK that pays off

charlesrixey
07-16-2007, 10:47 AM
i didn't get the impression from the article that the DMN was bashing the RGV teams

footballgal
07-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i didn't get the impression from the article that the DMN was bashing the RGV teams

I agree with you charlesrixey.

Then there is also other side of 7 on 7, as noted on the following article. (which I know you have read)

Rio Grande Valley Shows Well at State

By Matthew Stepp
DFW Writer
Posted Jul 14, 2007

Normally the Rio Grande Valley is considered a laughing stock in Texas High School Football, but for one weekend the RGV teams took on the big boys from across the state. Not only did the Valley show up, but they earned the respect of everyone who had the pleasure of watching them play.

Check the various Texas High School Football message boards across the state in Novemeber. A general theme you may find is the bashing of Rio Grande Valley football, (yours truly has been guilty of it many times).
This weekend 6 RGV teams played in the two divisions of the 7 on 7 State Tournament and all 6 teams represented the Valley well and showed they could compete with the elite in state and even beat the best.

Class 1A LaVilla came to the State Tournament with only 9 players, yet they managed to knock off West Orange-Stark and Madisonville before falling in a heartbreaker to Melissa in bracket play. Edcouch-Elsa was a last second replacement in the State Tournament yet the Yellow Jackets managed a second place finish in their pool including a win over Southlake Carroll. E-E wasn't done as on Saturday morning they knocked off Houston Lamar before falling in a close one to Arlington Lamar.

Mercedes was an after-thought heading into the tournament, however the scrappy Tigers left it all on the field game in and game out and they also stunned some big boys. Mercedes on Friday knocked off Plano East (the largest high school in the state) and Saturday morning they beat 7 on 7 power Katy Cinco Ranch using a unique and confusing offense. MHS fell in the Round of 16 to Coppell by two points.

Weslaco may have had the most dangerous weapon in the tournament in Mishak Rivas. Rivas drew constant roving double and triple teams as teams respected his blazing 4.3 speed. WHS gave state runner-up Houston Stratford all they wanted Saturday morning in a winners bracket game losing 21-14.

San Benito and McAllen Rowe could have packed things in after some close losses on Friday and being sent to the Consolation bracket. However both teams played with passion and heart the entire day. In fact no one wanted to win more than those two teams and they played an exciting consolation championship with San Benito coming out on top 41-34. San Benito's players showed the kind of appreciation you don't normally see, as many of their players were in tears after the win. Mind you this was the CONSOLATION CHAMPIONSHIP, not the championship game. "We are just so happy to be here and play, it's a dream come true to even have a chance to play at a place like Kyle Field," commented one San Benito player.

That kind of dedication and love of the game is what makes Texas High School Football so great. Those kids from the Valley likley won't get scholarships and they likley won't win a state championship, but they play simply because they love the game. The passion for the game is unmatched as even the coaches are encouraging their players on every play and they never get on the referees ever. One referee commented, "I wish we could referee kids like that every game. They don't complain and everything is yes sir and no sir."

The Valley may never win a State Championship anytime soon, but I can say it was a pleasure to watch their athletes, fans and coaches compete this weekend. As 7 on 7 Board President Mike Sneed commented about San Benito, "That's what its all about, those kids couldn't be happier you can't help but smile watching those kids compete."

http://hstexas.scout.com/2/658694.html

charlesrixey
07-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Exactly!

i know for a fact none of the coaches would authorize their players to participate in 7-on-7 if they thought the injury risk outweighed the gains from the competition

And it is fairly obvious that South Texas performed very well this year

JR2004
07-16-2007, 01:24 PM

lol...Might want to reread the statement made. I said the scoreboard results from this stuff are worthless, not the actual practice time gained.

The DMN saving face for SLC? You just had to be joking with that one! lol...I'm not a big SLC fan (Was rooting for Lufkin the last time I saw the two play each other), but put that same team against SLC in a regular season game and they're lucky if Southlake isn't putting triple digits on the scoreboard. I mean is there anyone out there who could say with a straight face that a valley team (Or 99 percent of the teams in the entire state for that matter) who beats SLC in a 7 on 7 would actually beat them or give them a competitive game on a Friday night during the season? I think not.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

YES - the scoreboard results are essentially worthless ... its the WORK that pays off

I couldn't have said it any better. Even though it's trivial at best in the outcome of the season, it helps build a lot of team chemistry and trust, and those are important aspects to the game.

Emerson1
07-16-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't think anyone has to save SLC from anything. I think they have won a few more real championships then they did 7 on 7.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Do you agree or disagree that the tone of the DMN Article would be totally different had SLC dominated everyone in the tournament just like they do in the fall?

Emerson1
07-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Do you agree or disagree that the tone of the DMN Article would be totally different had SLC dominated everyone in the tournament just like they do in the fall?
No, when has SLC ever dominated the tournament? I think Celina is the only school to ever win twice.

charlesrixey
07-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
No, when has SLC ever dominated the tournament? I think Celina is the only school to ever win twice.

Baytown Lee has won twice as well