PDA

View Full Version : David Beckham

thatsminty
07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
i mean soccer is cool and all...

but it's not football. Hopefully he'll be able to maintain his popularity while here in the US

but when that fails atleast his homeland will be excited.

Keith7
07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
they had 12,000 fans show up to watch a 15 minute press conference, so far so good..

I'm gonna try and get tickets to see the galaxy when they come to frisco the 31st

thatsminty
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
they had 12,000 fans show up to watch a 15 minute press conference, so far so good..

I'm gonna try and get tickets to see the galaxy when they come to frisco the 31st

nice, 12,000 isn't bad..compared to 25,000 who normally show up

Keith7
07-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by thatsminty

25,000 normally show up for 15 minute press conferences??!?

thatsminty
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
25,000 normally show up for 15 minute press conferences??!?

for beckham? CHEAH
well i think saying 25,000 is being a bit cheeky normally it's more.
while i was in London there was a press conference going on and all the streets to this building were blocked off for hours. [for a beckham related]

Pmoney
07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
anyone going to watch his first game?...i think i will

thatsminty
07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
anyone going to watch his first game?...i think i will

depends on what's going on of course. but then again I'm all about watching Gabriel Cuomo ;)

Macarthur
07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Very few people in America care and Isn't he kinda past his prime?

Keith7
07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Very few people in America care and Isn't he kinda past his prime?

he may be past his prime (not too much, he is still only 31) but he is still prolly the best player in the mls now

Macarthur
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
he may be past his prime (not too much, he is still only 31) but he is still prolly the best player in the mls now

But it's a lesser league, isn't it?

It's like saying Jay Feeley is the best QB in the Canadian League or something like that.

burnet44
07-13-2007, 01:01 PM

they went to see his wife

thatsminty
07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
they went to see his wife

yeah that's probably the main reason behind it.
anyways the thing that made me laugh was when watching that princess diana concert thing one of the spokes women on there was like, "we're giving you a legend of our generation, so treat him well!" and the guy she was telling this to was like, "we have lots of legends so let's hope he can be up to par"

she giggled of course but it's true.

hopefully he'll do well if not then it's not really a big surprise.

carter08
07-13-2007, 01:55 PM
don't diss the Canadian Football League.

Keith7
07-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
But it's a lesser league, isn't it?

It's like saying Jay Feeley is the best QB in the Canadian League or something like that.

its kinda like that, but Jay Feely is a kicker, and even though its the canadian league, I still don't think he would be the best QB..

MLS isn't the worst league in the world, but its close.. I think there is a chance that Beckham brings some legitimacy to the MLS and hopefully more stars will follow.. I've been watching the U-20 world cup the past couple of weeks and really have come to appreciate the passion and skill it takes to play at that level (Kinda like watching college basketball).. I think if the U.S. can get a small taste for that, then there will be a new wave of soccer fans in the u.s.

necks_c/09
07-14-2007, 02:25 AM
does anybody reallly care.....how can yall....some english dude w/ a hot wife whos past his prime playing soccer in LA.....whoop de doo......

personally i could care less.....

Maroon87
07-14-2007, 02:37 AM
I hate soccer, but if anyone can sell it in the US it's Beckham and his hot ass wife. This will be fun to watch...:thumbsup:

3afan
07-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by thatsminty

sounds like a Burnet crowd estimate !!!

:D

LH Panther Mom
07-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
sounds like a Burnet crowd estimate !!!

:D
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

District303aPastPlayer
07-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Welcome Becks!

charlesrixey
07-14-2007, 10:22 AM
i think i read somewhere how beckham only played 5 of 25 games and spent the rest on the bench for Real Madrid

if he isn't even good enough to start in europe, he probably isn't going to make a huge impact on LA or MLS.

he is overhyped because he is a star, but he hasn't been among the best in five or six years

District303aPastPlayer
07-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i think i read somewhere how beckham only played 5 of 25 games and spent the rest on the bench for Real Madrid

if he isn't even good enough to start in europe, he probably isn't going to make a huge impact on LA or MLS.

he is overhyped because he is a star, but he hasn't been among the best in five or six years

He only played 5 games because he was benched after he signed his american contract and chose not to return to Europe.

charlesrixey
07-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
He only played 5 games because he was benched after he signed his american contract and chose not to return to Europe.

still doesn't explain his status as a nonfactor for Madrid the previous two years

burnet44
07-14-2007, 10:36 AM
its soccer
the media will have a hard time making this a story
but they will somehow
look for the wife to be a big part of some story
to keep it out there in the media
250M and people think Freeny is stealing?

At least A Rod tries to earn his

Soccer? no chance in the USA

charlesrixey
07-14-2007, 10:40 AM
its soccer
but they will somehow

sssh!!! don't ruin the secret, B!

;)

burnet44
07-14-2007, 10:49 AM
my bad dawg

District303aPastPlayer
07-14-2007, 10:57 AM
its soccer
but they will somehow

No they won't. With the U20 team doing great in WC competition, its only fitting that this happens now. Becks comes to the US, joins MLS. The U20 team then gets drafted into the MLS... you have the future against the present... Adu vs Becks should make for good TV.

Gobbla2001
07-14-2007, 11:06 AM
I've tried watching soccer... sometimes it's cool sometimes it's not...

I don't think it's a bad sport, sure takes a lot of conditioning... good for the young ones, gets 'em off the cartoons...

thatsminty
07-14-2007, 03:58 PM
yeah, that's what i'm saying...it's not football so I doubt people would be as highly interested.

hopefully beckham doesn't get a want of trying other sports like jordan did...lolz @ him

Txbroadcaster
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Comparing Spanish Leage Soccer to MLS is like comparing Major league Baseball to a collegiate league. ALOT of players in the EPL and Spanish league who dont start on their team could come to the MLS and be All-Stars. And the fact he played on a team that just won the Spanish League shows the depth of that team. plus he was hurt and then was sat down.

plus his impact is not as a goal scorer...he is great at set peices, and crosses, but unless they move him to striker, he will not put up a ton of goals scored, but still can and should be a dominant centerfielder or even back to the Right wing position in the MLS

burnet44
07-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Comparing Spanish Leage Soccer to MLS is like comparing Major league Baseball to a collegiate league. ALOT of players in the EPL and Spanish league who dont start on their team could come to the MLS and be All-Stars. And the fact he played on a team that just won the Spanish League shows the depth of that team. plus he was hurt and then was sat down.

plus his impact is not as a goal scorer...he is great at set peices, and crosses, but unless they move him to striker, he will not put up a ton of goals scored, but still can and should be a dominant centerfielder or even back to the Right wing position in the MLS

man u r a guru
I dont know what all that means but it sounds good

SOCCER WILL BE AS IMPORTANT IN THE USA AS FOOTBALL IS IN EUROPE

Macarthur
07-14-2007, 08:24 PM
its kinda like that, but Jay Feely is a kicker, and even though its the canadian league, I still don't think he would be the best QB..

Oops. :doh:

I was thinking of AJ Feeley.

bandera7
07-14-2007, 11:27 PM
I follow all of the major European leagues...from the Premiership to the Primera to Serie A. All I have to say about Beckham is that for the money Galaxy spent on him, they could have brought over two far better, younger players from any of those leagues, and they might actually be successful. Bringing over Beckham gives them his jersey, and not much else. he is not a standout player by any stretch of the imagination. All he can do is kick and good free kick. He is old, slow, and by far the most over-rated player in the world. The thing is, so many americans dont know much about soccer and so they believe just about anything they are told. Beckham will not help Galaxy to win a championship.

charlesrixey
07-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
I follow all of the major European leagues...from the Premiership to the Primera to Serie A. All I have to say about Beckham is that for the money Galaxy spent on him, they could have brought over two far better, younger players from any of those leagues, and they might actually be successful. Bringing over Beckham gives them his jersey, and not much else. he is not a standout player by any stretch of the imagination. All he can do is kick and good free kick. He is old, slow, and by far the most over-rated player in the world. The thing is, so many americans dont know much about soccer and so they believe just about anything they are told. Beckham will not help Galaxy to win a championship.

AMEN!

Gobbla2001
07-15-2007, 09:41 AM
damn bandera7... I know it's Sunday but you didn't have to preach like that...

burnet44
07-15-2007, 10:21 AM
dont think thats in the book of Revelation

Fal44
07-15-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't care if he is past his prime or not, as long as he can build FOTBOL up here in the US, its all worth it..

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2007, 11:36 AM

This is not about him helping win a championship..this is about him helping to give the LEAGUE a face that goes beyond the United States. LA and FC Dallas are the only two clubs right now that make a profit every year..the rest of the league while stronger than ever, still is climbing out of debt. Beckham whether you think he is overrated or not helps add some credibility to the league fomr outside the US AND gives casual fans a TRUE known superstar that they can follow.

Your right they could get two younger better players for the price..but would their name value carry as much as Beckham's?

CalallenWildcat
07-15-2007, 01:13 PM
They were talking about Beckham's move to the US when I was in Europe. I think it's a good sign that Europeans are talking about American soccer, for once.

Gobbla2001
07-15-2007, 03:00 PM
I've never really paid attention to the sport of soccer as a whole, just watch a match here and there... what would you guys say is the best league? The English Premiership?

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I've never really paid attention to the sport of soccer as a whole, just watch a match here and there... what would you guys say is the best league? The English Premiership?

La Liga is the top ranked league in Europe with EPL second..

Alot of people dont realize that the current edition of English First division soccer is only been around since 1992..It is the MOST watched league worldwide.

JR2004
07-15-2007, 07:28 PM

I'm fairly certain he probably meant AJ Feeley.

edit: And reading all of the thread he did mean him!

burnet44
07-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Pele
couldnt make soccer watchable in this country
Freddy Adu
Tatu
David Beckham and Posh Spice

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Pele
Freddy Adu
Tatu
David Beckham and Posh Spice

Pele got the soccer fans in the seats in NY, but A. Did not have the outside of soccer appeal or sex appeal and B. The electronic media now means Beckham will in the public eye more because of televised games.

Adu is still 18 years old, we dont know his impact yet

Tatu was an indoor legend, but that sport never got above the unique status

burnet44
07-15-2007, 08:45 PM
GOD might be able to make soccer watchable in this country

Beckham is what 32?
I listened to ESPN radio today
a great point was made
Why would Beckham do this
derrrrrrrrrr the money
32 aging not playing in the big time in Europe
and they want to give me what?
we take the European cast off?
yeah i know he is a name
he has a cute wife
(she aint no EVA)

Its soccer
Ive seen better curling
Ive seen better washer throwing
Ive seen better bass fishing
Ive seen better 7th grade girls "B" basketball games

SOCCER WILL BE AS WATCHABLE AS FOOTBALL IS IN EUROPE

Keith7
07-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I think people think its un american to like soccer.. not sure why.. but people seem to get all uptight when soccer is mentioned and just shut their minds off completly like they don't want to give it a chance.. its a shame though too because soccer really is a great sport.. believe it or not you can like football and soccer both!

bandera7
07-15-2007, 10:20 PM
You are right Beckham gives it a face, but is that the face you want American soccer to have? The face of an old over-rated player? Cristiano Ronaldo would have been a far better face. He also has the sex appeal, as every girl I know who has seen him thinks he is amazing looking. Why spend that much money on a face that wont even win games?

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2007, 10:24 PM
You are right Beckham gives it a face, but is that the face you want American soccer to have? The face of an old over-rated player? Cristiano Ronaldo would have been a far better face. He also has the sex appeal, as every girl I know who has seen him thinks he is amazing looking. Why spend that much money on a face that wont even win games?

Me..I would rather have Cristano..but how many people in America have heard of him?

bandera7
07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
actually you would be surprised...just because of his status as a sex icon, he is heard of. Many people only know of him as "oh yeah that one hot guy" but they still know him.

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2007, 10:33 PM
actually you would be surprised...just because of his status as a sex icon, he is heard of. Many people only know of him as "oh yeah that one hot guy" but they still know him.

ehhh sorry I just dont think marketing wise or namewise Cristiano would make even 1% the splash David will..on the field Cristiano would be the most dominant player ever, but his press conference announcing him would not draw what Beckham did.

bandera7
07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
I have to disagree...especially once the American public saw what LA's money bought. It would draw in atleast a huge crowd of women. And those who knew soccer would go too. He wouldnt make as big of a splash initially, but I think after he dominated the league for a year, he would surpass Beckhams publicity.

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I have to disagree...especially once the American public saw what LA's money bought. It would draw in atleast a huge crowd of women. And those who knew soccer would go too. He wouldnt make as big of a splash initially, but I think after he dominated the league for a year, he would surpass Beckhams publicity.

now I agree IF someone like him came here and had the look and dominated that after a SOMETIME they could make a splash..but Beckham walks in with that fanfare and only fans who were already fans will know if Beckham is playing good or not, and 90% of the casual fan will not care.

the single game ticket for FC Dallas hosting LA is now on sale and the team is selling them for a HUGE mark-up compared to a regular match...Ronaldo would not be that type of an attraction

Manck
07-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Simply put, if you don't think that this signing will...

- boost the popularity of soccer in the US
- boost the quality of play in the MLS
- make people realize that the MLS isn't some league just for retiring Euro divers

...you're either a moron or you live under a rock.

I am a MLS apologist, but nothing bad comes from this. David Beckham is still a starter for the English national team. He was one of the most crucial players down the stretch to help Real Madrid win the Spanish championship.

Basically, the only thing this guy did in his last game, was win the championship of one of the top four professional leagues in the world.

EVERYONE in England and Spain knows what MLS is now. They know we have a league, they know we have a superstar (at least in name.)

The key part of the equation is if the rest of the players in the league step up and get noticed. Americans are already having great success abroad (Dempsey, Howard, Hahnemann, McBride, Bocanegra, Beasley, Friedel...and that's just the guys playing in the UK).

The exposure this signing brings to American soccer to the rest of the world not only helps MLS, but it will help the worldwide marketability of all American professional sports.

Suck it Trebek.

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Manck
Simply put, if you don't think that this signing will...

- boost the popularity of soccer in the US
- boost the quality of play in the MLS
- make people realize that the MLS isn't some league just for retiring Euro divers

...you're either a moron or you live under a rock.

I am a MLS apologist, but nothing bad comes from this. David Beckham is still a starter for the English national team. He was one of the most crucial players down the stretch to help Real Madrid win the Spanish championship.

Basically, the only thing this guy did in his last game, was win the championship of one of the top four professional leagues in the world.

EVERYONE in England and Spain knows what MLS is now. They know we have a league, they know we have a superstar (at least in name.)

The key part of the equation is if the rest of the players in the league step up and get noticed. Americans are already having great success abroad (Dempsey, Howard, Hahnemann, McBride, Bocanegra, Beasley, Friedel...and that's just the guys playing in the UK).

The exposure this signing brings to American soccer to the rest of the world not only helps MLS, but it will help the worldwide marketability of all American professional sports.

Suck it Trebek.

Speaking of Clint Dempsey...HAve u heard the rumor he wants to come back and play for FC Dallas?

Manck
07-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Speaking of Clint Dempsey...HAve u heard the rumor he wants to come back and play for FC Dallas?
Don't tease me, a-hole.

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Manck
Don't tease me, a-hole.

Not teasing you lol..Friend of mine from college is doing some media work for MLS office and that is what he said

thatsminty
07-21-2007, 09:19 AM
well this got more attention than I ever so wanted.