PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban wants the Cubs

Adidas410s
07-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Report: Cuban wants the Cubs
Dallas, TX (Sports Network) - The Chicago Cubs are on the market and one of the reported suitors is the controversial owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban.

According to a report from the Dallas Morning News, Cuban has applied to Major League Baseball for a potential purchase of the Cubs. The franchise was put up for sale by the Tribune Company in April.

"I submitted the application and have no comment on the rest," Cuban was quoted by the paper in an e-mail response.

Cuban has owned the Mavericks since January 2000 and is considered one of the top owners in the NBA, although he has often clashed with league commissioner David Stern over numerous topics. Stern has fined Cuban several times, particularly over officiating.

The Tribune Company bought the Cubs, as well as historic Wrigley Field, in 1981. The sale also includes a 25 percent interest in Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

rangerjim
07-13-2007, 07:46 AM
As a lifelong Cubs fan I wouldn't mind this. Would give a little umph to the team. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Would think Cuban's energy fits right in with the legendary Cub Hall of Famer Ernie Banks and his famous saying - "let's play two"

Adidas - love your new stickman thingee - where do you get those?

Adidas410s
07-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by rangerjim
As a lifelong Cubs fan I wouldn't mind this. Would give a little umph to the team. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Would think Cuban's energy fits right in with the legendary Cub Hall of Famer Ernie Banks and his famous saying - "let's play two"

Adidas - love your new stickman thingee - where do you get those?

I think it would be a great move for Cuban and baseball. Cuban does a lot of things right:

1. He is willing to spend $$. This is more important in baseball than in anything else.

2. He knows the history and tradition of the game. You'll need this to own the Cubs and Wrigley Field.

3. He takes care of his players and employees as well as anybody in any sport. Look at the constant fear that every player, coach, front office guy has playing for Steinbrenner in NY. When you win life is great...but lose a few games and the place becomes miserable. If it weren't for the $$$...most would leave the Yankees in a heartbeat.

4. He builds winning franchises. He's done everything he could (within reason) to help make the Mavericks a winning basketball team. It's the players job to bring home the hardware.

This avatar I yanked off of somebody else on another message board. I sure dont have the abilities to create cool ones so I just take what other people find on other sites and use them over here! ;)

JR2004
07-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Well the intentional comedy level of him owning the Cubs would be off the charts due to his feud with Sam Smith from the Tribune.

I think he'd find that owning a baseball team though is infinitely more complex than owning a basketball team. His chances for success wouldn't be near as high as they are in basketball. However since he loves being the center of attention at all times and can't live without being that, Chicago would be the place to go for him.

Emerson1
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Well the intentional comedy level of him owning the Cubs would be off the charts due to his feud with Sam Smith from the Tribune.

I think he'd find that owning a baseball team though is infinitely more complex than owning a basketball team. His chances for success wouldn't be near as high as they are in basketball. However since he loves being the center of attention at all times and can't live without being that, Chicago would be the place to go for him.
Don't be mad our owner doesn't go out and get DWI's.

carter08
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Chicago has all the cool music festivals. Lolla, Pitchfork, and the cool street festivals.

But as an Astros fan, I don't want Cuban and his money in the NL Central.

charlesrixey
07-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Would he be able to manage two franchises at the same time financially?

If not, i would much rather have him stay here than leave

Adidas410s
07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

A lot of owners have multiple franchises that they own. Then again...none of them are as hands on as Cuban is with the Mavs so it could pose a problem. However, most of the season in baseball is during the NBA offseason so it could work better.

burnet44
07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
hasnt won with the Mavs yes they are better
wont win with the Cubs

why would someone be excited?
what is he King George?
like he knows baseball?
he has money which makes him a good owner?

jerry has money and see what he has done to the hefers

yeah buy the Cubs
you think Cubans billions can overcome the curse?

The mavs aint won what makes you think the Cubs will.

no wait mark wants a football team too?

3 sport star huh mark

more face time on tv

the athletes aint the only ones promoting huh?

Maroon87
07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
I shudder to think of what he'd do to Wrigley Field if he owned the Cubs...:eek:

Adidas410s
07-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I shudder to think of what he'd do to Wrigley Field if he owned the Cubs...:eek:

I don't think he'd tear up or overhaul Wrigley...

burnet44
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
yeah bright move
tear the ivy down

Emerson1
07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Tom Hicks has 3, and one of them is overseas

Rabbit'93
07-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
hasnt won with the Mavs yes they are better
wont win with the Cubs

why would someone be excited?
what is he King George?
like he knows baseball?
he has money which makes him a good owner?

jerry has money and see what he has done to the hefers

yeah buy the Cubs
you think Cubans billions can overcome the curse?

The mavs aint won what makes you think the Cubs will.

no wait mark wants a football team too?

3 sport star huh mark

more face time on tv

the athletes aint the only ones promoting huh?
Hasn't won with the mavs? I would say he's done nothing but win. How do you know he doesn't know baseball? Jerry only has 3 rings? Isn't that winning?

3afan
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
wonder WHY 44 is so bitter ...... :thinking:

Emerson1
07-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
wonder WHY 44 is so bitter ...... :thinking:
You just answered your own question.

burnet44
07-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Hasn't won with the mavs? I would say he's done nothing but win. How do you know he doesn't know baseball? Jerry only has 3 rings? Isn't that winning?

i said they were better
yeah won regular season games once
made finals once

now post on how many other teams would love to have Cuban

and I said look what Jerry has DONE with them
yeah he won 3
got rid of jimmy
and has run them into the ground

yea he won
but he is just another example of the meddeling millionare

I think jerry and mark are great
for the other teams

now fire away
defend cuban-jerry
defend hicks yeah he has won

defend each other

ya know

JasperDog94
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
i said they were better
yeah won regular season games once
made finals once

now post on how many other teams would love to have Cuban

and I said look what Jerry has DONE with them
yeah he won 3
got rid of jimmy
and has run them into the ground

yea he won
but he is just another example of the meddeling millionare

I think jerry and mark are great
for the other teams

now fire away
defend cuban-jerry
defend hicks yeah he has won

defend each other

ya know Dang! My eyes AND brain hurt after trying to read your posts.:doh:

burnet44
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
dont read em

Emerson1
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Dang! My eyes AND brain hurt after trying to read your posts.:doh:
Just ignore it and it will go away.

burnet44
07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Just ignore it and it will go away.

naw Im not that lucky

Keith7
07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't want Jones or Cuban to own any of my favorite teams, I don't like their hands on approach to running things, they add to the reason why I hate the Cowboys and Mavs.. and I hate how out spoken Mark Cuban is, and so does his players... Hicks is pretty bad but I have a feeling he might want to sell the team pretty soon.. he seems to be losing interest..

Emerson1
07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
he seems to be losing interest..
Cuban needs to buy the rangers.

Keith7
07-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Cuban needs to buy the rangers.

Even though I hate how outspoken he is, I think I would prefer him over Hicks, mainly because I know he would be willing to spend some money

Emerson1
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Is there any video of the walkout the pirate's fans did a couple weeks ago? Only thing I found on youtube was pictures.

Keith7
07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Is there any video of the walkout the pirate's fans did a couple weeks ago? Only thing I found on youtube was pictures.

espn said only around 200 - 300 people actually left, alot of people got up and walked up the aisle like they were going to leave, but ended up going back to their seat less then a inning later.. I guess they wanted to get their moneys worth

Bandera YaYa
07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
So Cuban has given up on the Mavs.....see ya!:p

Maroon87
07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
You know I have found over the years that when I take notes in a meeting they turn out looking a lot like b44's posts...;)

Keith7
07-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
So Cuban has given up on the Mavs.....see ya!:p

I think he has given up on the rigged NBA, not so much the mavs

rangerjim
07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Just got back in from the field and ran to my favorite post of the day. Have been to about 100 Cubs games at Wrigley. Haven't been back since they got the lights so you know that I am a baseball purist. Hope nobody changes anything. Nothing like drinking beers in the front row of the bleachers on the Waveland side (left field for you ranger fans).

I would hope that Cuban would bring in his fat guys dancing team. They'd fit in perfect with the beers and brats. Cubs beating the Astros as we speak 3-0. Da Cubs.........

Emerson1
07-13-2007, 02:59 PM
I am sure Cuban would do something do make the games more exciting.

Maroon87
07-13-2007, 03:01 PM

Like sitting in the dugout and screaming at the ump for 9 innings...

JasperDog94
07-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Like sitting in the dugout and screaming at the ump for 9 innings... Cuban would get tossed more than Lou Pinella.

Maroon87
07-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Cuban would get tossed more than Lou Pinella.

Or Bobby Cox.

JasperDog94
07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Or Bobby Cox. ...put together...;)

burnet44
07-13-2007, 07:56 PM

yeah try winning
Mavs-exciting
Spurs-boring-4 rings

maybe you can do the math