View Full Version : Calallen's Flores to attend UH

luvhoops34
07-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Calallen's Flores to attend Houston
'Cats shot putter lands scholarship

By Javier Becerra (Contact)
Originally published 12:00 a.m., July 12, 2007
Updated 03:27 a.m., July 12, 2007

Calallen shot put thrower Sidney Flores is continuing his track and field career after signing a letter of intent with the University of Houston.

The recent graduate won the Class 4A gold medal by hitting 56 feet, 9.75 inches on his first throw at the University Interscholastic League state championships in May. Flores finished the season with the area's best, a heave of 57-8.5 that won the Region IV-4A meet.

"(Calallen shot put and discus coach) Larry Mireles thought he had a good one from the time Sidney was a freshman," Calallen boys track coach Steve Campbell said. "He caught on to the technique and took off. This has really been a long time coming, but you just never know how it's going to come out."

Flores wasn't sure what might happen.

"Everybody expected that I might be competing at the college level, but I never thought I would," he said. "I hadn't talked to any universities besides UTSA before state. I went there not knowing anything."

Campbell said representatives from Houston were in Austin watching when Flores took first place at state. North Texas also showed an interest, but Flores decided on the Cougars.

"They had been looking at him for a while," Campbell said. "He visited right at the end of school and made up his mind to go there."

Along with the shot put, Flores said he will throw the discus, javelin and hammer.

Flores won the Region IV-4A championship after throwing 57-8.5 on his final attempt, which surpassed his previous best by nearly two feet. He nearly missed making the final round until throwing 53-3 on his third try.

A throw of 55-3 allowed Flores to take the lead before unleashing the winning effort.

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or becerraj@callers

Maroon87
07-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Way to go Sid! :thumbsup: