PDA

View Full Version : Coldsprings

sphinx1906
08-20-2003, 10:13 AM
I heard that coldsprings had 21 total players 9th-12th out for football.don't they have a couple of all americans there? Their quarterback didn't even show up to play. whats going on down there. I remember when coach Ed Peveto was there and they were a force to be reckoned with. They are dripping with athletes so somebody tell me please whats going on! Sure wish Coach Peveto was still around (God rest his soul). That guy was one of the best.I know he is a legend in orangefield and coldsprings.

JasperDog94
08-20-2003, 10:32 AM
I think Coldsprings has a few more than 21 football players in high school.

Amos Moses
08-20-2003, 10:36 AM
Maybe they need to bring back Gary Burt(Peveto)If you close your eyes, you can see BIG Gary walking the sideline.Wish the best of luck to Gary where ever he is.

sphinx1906
08-20-2003, 10:40 AM
these were this years numbers that I recieved so that is why it caught me off guard. Actually it blew my mind. Gary Burt will see plenty of Coldsprings this year, he is now at Cleveland

Amos Moses
08-20-2003, 10:45 AM
What is the big man coaching at Cleveland? Offense or Defense!!!!!!!!!!!

trojandad
08-20-2003, 11:04 AM
I had to run program sheets to go home to each athlete in Coldspring and taped them to their lockers myself, I can tell you there are over 80 guys in 2 a days, not counting the new ones who came in once school started. That includes 9th thru 12th. Gonna have to remember that the next time your source brings you some more goodies. LOL

We miss Coach Peveto, too. Like crazy. The current coach is Ralph Lymas, he's head coach and defensive coordinator. He actually had an offer from Coach Peveto to coach under him years ago when Coach Lymas was under Coach Spike Dykes at Midland. He is really salty defensively, it might end up being the strongest part of our game and that's saying something.

As far as number of students go, tho, we seldom have over 100 for all four grades. We're just not a big school. In fact, with the big graduating class last year and the smaller one coming in, I wouldn't be surprised if we're below 500 students now, just haven't had a current count.

sphinx1906
08-20-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm glad to hear that many are out for football in Coldsprings. I'll have to check my source. Are there any Spikes left in Coldsprings? The used to be the fastest guys in San Jacinto county!! Good luck this year.

trojandad
08-20-2003, 01:27 PM
I think you might mean Sykes, Sphinx, meaning the James Sykes bunch that went to Rice and then to the Redskins. We don't have any Sykes at RB but we have a big lineman Sykes with the family speed. Fastest guy on this year's team is Tauren Lagway, a 4 year starter. He's run 40's in the 4.2's the last two years. Your right, tho, the Sykes family has got a fast gene.

Scrimmage against Willis this Friday will have Lagway against last year's 4A all state TB from Willis, we've already heard several scouts are coming to that scrimmage. Should be fun.