PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns make A wish come true

KTA
07-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Since 1980, the Make-A-Wish Foundation has enriched the lives of children living with life-threatening medical conditions. The mission of Make-A-Wish remains committed, "Wish children of the past, present, and future will have an opportunity to share the power of a wish."

This summer, The University of Texas football program was able to help grant the wish of James Simmons. James, a 17-year-old boy from Snyder, Texas, suffers from an untreatable heart condition.

Having enjoyed football since childhood, James' wish was to attend Texas Football Camp this summer. Through the help of the Make-A-Wish Foundation and The University of Texas Longhorns, his wish was granted.

"My experience has been awesome. It's been really cool," Simmons said. "We just got a whole tour of all the facilities -- the locker room, the weight room, everything. Being able to practice on the field and go in The Bubble was awesome."

However, it turns out his favorite part of the experience was completely separate from the camp -- the chance to spend time with several of the Longhorns.

"My friend and I got to meet the players, which was really cool," Simmons added. "Being able to hang out and play pool with the quarterback, Colt McCoy, has been incredible."

The feeling was mutual for McCoy.

"It's really cool anytime guys get to come up here and hang out and meet guys like Quan Cosby, Robert Killebrew and Rashad Bobino and all of us," McCoy said. "It's great to be able to spend time with them, knowing that they're going through struggles in their life, and we feel honored to be able to be there for someone like that.

"For his wish to be to come to Texas and go the football camp and meet the Texas players and hang out with us is awesome. Whenever you can make someone feel good it makes you feel good inside."

"They're all-around really good guys," said Texas LB Robert Killebrew of the boys. "It's as cool of an experience for them as it is for us. It makes me feel really good to be able to spend time with them."

WR Quan Cosby shared the sentiments of his fellow teammates.

"It was fun to watch him play a little pool and talk a little high school football," said Cosby. "It's always fun to come and mingle with the younger guys. It's pretty awesome that his wish was to go to football camp. We're very fortunate in our situation, so in a way it's understandable how guys would want to come out and I guess live a little bit like us, without the school, for a few days. It's a huge compliment to us, to our program, and our coaching staff. It's pretty cool."

For Simmons, a Longhorns fan since birth, the experience has been great.

"The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a great program," Simmons said. "I really appreciate everything they have done for me."

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=3033&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

burnet44
07-12-2007, 12:24 AM
pretty cool

Sa lute

Snyder_TigerFan
07-12-2007, 07:19 AM
That's cool, thanks for sharing.

Wonder why this story didn't make the Snyder news.:thinking:

Phil C
07-12-2007, 07:59 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pmoney
07-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
That's cool, thanks for sharing.

Wonder why this story didn't make the Snyder news.:thinking:
im wondering that too...james has hit some bumps in the road and i think this was good for him...please keep him in your prayers