PDA

View Full Version : Magnet 3A Schools

Old Cardinal
06-10-2002, 12:35 PM
I was just wondering which schools that you feel are magnet 3A schools. A magnet school is like Beaumont Ozen 4A; whereby all students in an area are set up to allow and athletes in the various schools to congregate, by invitation informally, to load one Athletic Department with the cream-of-the-crop. Another method, done mainly in the petroleum industry, is to transfer in folks with exceptional children into magnent School Districts. Rich schools also have suttle ways to sometimes strengthen their programs. Any thoughts on this subject?

Jacket2000
06-10-2002, 12:37 PM
How 'bout Forney? We all know how they "informally invite" certain students with exceptional athletic ability to attend their school. LOL
J2K

sinton66
06-10-2002, 01:00 PM
I don't know of any 3A schools that do that. In the Coastal Bend, Gregory-Portland(north) and Calallen(west) are sort of natural 4A magnet schools because they are bedroom communities to Corpus Christi and have excellent programs. Don't think they openly or covertly seek outside talent. Just sort of naturally migrate there. Sinton is sort of the same because of its proximity to Corpus(28 mi.)and their program. Sinton does accept transfer students on a case by case basis, and the School board votes whether or not to accept each individual transfer. You can't just transfer kids in for a fee.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 10, 2002).]

VWG
06-10-2002, 02:40 PM
I can think of several schools that will lure kids to their programs. I know one guy who went to Celina due to that reason.
You can almost bet that most schools that have close proximity to larger metropolitan areas have this situation going on. I am not implying that all of these schools are involved in this but take a look at their history. Aledo, Everman, Abilene Wylie, Celina, etc.. I am sure that Midland Greenwood can lure some 2nd stringers away from Midland Lee and Midland High.
It's easier to relocate in a more populated area than it is to do when towns are 40 to 70 miles away from each other.

Matthew328
06-10-2002, 08:05 PM
I am sure schools in bed-room communities aren't magnet schools...but when the community is growing so fast it is natural to get lots of transfer students...LOL But I dunno if you would consider Everman a magnet school...most people try to leave there than actually come there..LOL but actually Everman will prolly be 4A next realignment...they barely missed the 4A cut and they are expecting over 1000 students to be there on the first day of school...last year they had 950 but that number dwindled with kids getting expelled and moving to FWISD...it does that every year there.

[This message has been edited by Matthew328 (edited June 10, 2002).]