PDA

View Full Version : Ballinger vs. Vernon

vet93
11-10-2002, 11:53 PM
This looks to be a good matchup. Vernon has been playing very well lately. Their record is decieving because they have played a much more difficult schedule than Ballinger. Interestingly, these two teams scrimmaged in the first scrimmage of the year and it was pretty even by most accounts. Matthew seemed to think that Posey may be the difference in the game. What is everyone's thoughts.

VWG
11-11-2002, 12:11 PM
This is a good even matchup. You are correct in that Vernon does have a deceiving record at 5-5. Two district losses were to Graham and Iowa Park, and they played a tough non-district schedule with Sweetwater, Altus(OK), and area Wichita Falls 4A schools.
I think that Vernon has talent, but not as much as they have had in the past. Their QB is a good player but sometimes inconsistent. Offensive line is weak this year and that hurts the running game.
I think it will be close, too tough to call.

vet93
11-11-2002, 12:46 PM
The two teams only have one common opponent...Breckenridge. Vernon beat Breckenridge 34-0. Ballinger lost in O/T to Breck 18 to 12. Did Breck have an off night against the Lions and a season best against the Bearcats? Is their anyone from Breck who can comment on both games? I will say from Ballinger's perspective...not to take anything away from the Buckaroos that Ballinger played their poorest game against Breckenridge. They had opportunities to go up a couple of td's on Breck but failed to do so. If you let a good team hang around long enough, they will come back and get you. One key to the game might be Ballinger's ability to take control early. If they can do this, then they will likely win the ballgame. If the game goes down to the 4th quarter, then it is going to be a tossup.

ClydeFan
11-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Vet93, was Posey at 100% during the Ballinger-Breckenridge game? I seem to recall that he started out slowly this year due to an injury. I think the Ballinger-Vernon game will be a close one... hope your Bearcats come out with the victory!

vet93
11-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Clydefan...you are right...Posey was not 100% until about the Wall game. Since that time he has been averaging about 150 yards per game. By the way...I really feel for you guys. I just knew that you were going to get the 3rd playoff spot. I have been rooting for you all year. Don't give up. Things are headed in the right direction in clyde it looks like. Next year could very well be the breakout year! Tell me what happened at Comanche. Was it turnovers, breakdowns, mental. Comanche played us tough for the first half so they were a good football team. However, I thought that you guys were definiely better!

ClydeFan:
Vet93, was Posey at 100% during the Ballinger-Breckenridge game? I seem to recall that he started out slowly this year due to an injury. I think the Ballinger-Vernon game will be a close one... hope your Bearcats come out with the victory!

ClydeFan
11-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Vet93, it was a extremely disappointing loss - everyone was pretty much in shock after the game. As much as I am disappointed I know the players are much more so, especially the seniors. Clyde got the opening kickoff and made a very impressive drive and scored, and I thought it would be a blowout. However, on about Comanche's first possession, our QB who also plays defense came out of the game holding his throwing arm. He played the rest of the game, but his passing ability was clearly affected. I heard someone say after the game that he couldn't even feel his hand. I have to give credit to Comanche as they clearly played a good game - especially on defense against our rushing, but losing that way is a tough way to end the season. We had a chance at the end and were making a decent drive, but couldn't convert a 4th down. Turnovers were a factor, and one of Comanche's scores was a direct result of a turnover (fumbled at our own 20 or 30 yard line).

I'm still proud of the kids, as they were competitive and played with a lot of intensity this year. We'll see next year, but I think this year marked the turnaround in our football program.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2002, 02:55 AM
I'll give you my take on Vernon since my boy plays for them. The Defense is solid except for the line. Vernon does have good linebackers, but they tend to get blocked due to the line getting pushed around. In the past two games, Vernon has taken out the SS and replaced him with a LB. So they are running a 4-4 with a free safety and two corners. The secondary is probably the best unit they have out there so they use single coverage and hope they don't get beat. That helps them, but their line is just not heavy. If the O-line of Ballinger is a lot bigger than Vernon’s D-line, they will have problems keeping them off the line backers. Vernon is a quick team and very speedy on both sides of the ball. So a wet field hurts them. Both the Iowa Park and Graham games were played in terrible conditions-which I think hurt Vernon. The offense line is light and has had trouble making blocks. But last week it all came together and I'm telling you they steamed rolled Childress. They ran a lot of option to the outside and the speed beat Childress. I saw the scrimmage at the first of the year, but really it was so controlled, I didn't get much out of it. It looks like this will be a good game. I think that Iowa Park, Graham, Wylie, Ballinger are all of about the same quality teams. Just depends on the night or afternoon in this case. Hoping for a Vernon win, but I'm not going to get on here and predict one. Too close to call~

vet93
11-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Z-motion...I will attempt to reciprocate and tell you a little about the Bearcats. Offensively, our line is medium-sized averaging about 210. They had some trouble moving people at the beginning of the year but have steadily improved. They opened some nice holes against Wiley the other night. Our main weapon on offense is a junior named Antonio Posey. He goes about 200. He is a slasher...quick to the hole, good vision but doesn't have blinding speed. Our quarterback, also a junior has a good arm. He had to carry the offense when Posey was injured and did so by averaging about 175 yards per game during that time. His numbers have dropped since Posey has returned to form. Defensively we run a split but will give multiple fronts out of it. Our defense is quick but not fast. Our strong suit is probably the linebackers. They move to the ball well. Our secondary has been playing pretty well lately but can get burned on occasion with the long ball. Our weakness is depth. We are a very small school (currently running 2A numbers). We have about 6 to 7 two way starters. This hurt us against Wiley in the fourth quarter. I agree this game should be a good one. I too, expect it to go down to the wire. What position does your son play so I can watch for him...what is his number? My history with Vernon hasn't been too good. Vernon eliminated us from the Playoffs my senior year in 1984. They had some great players on that team (Graff, Dixon, Boyce, Elliot, Chism). They were a few plays from going to the state championship game that year. They lost to Daingerfield 14-7. Memories.......

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Vet--Wow you played against some good ones. I bet it was neat seeing Dixon playing for the Cowboys and being able to say…"hey I played against that guy." Anyway, my son is #35 and he is the free safety & split end. This should really be a good match up because Vernon also starts about the same amount of players both ways. A couple of linemen and the entire secondary go both ways including our QB. So this really looks to be a good game. Hey that stadium is very nice. They have new turf-- kind of a real grass type. My boy sprained his MCL in the first game of the year on the first play and missed the next two games. So I bet he will be cautious playing there again. But the stadium was very nice. Do you know which team is the home team? Also, I was wondering if any of the local stations there broadcast the game on the radio? My son is a junior so just the fact of being able to go to the playoffs and experience that will help him for next year so I'm a proud father no matter the outcome. Well good luck to your team and I can't wait to see a good ball game.

vet93
11-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Z-motion...the only thing that I saw of Dixon was the back of his shirt :D He ate us up the first half. We made some good adjustments in the second half and shut him down, but the damage was already done. Right now I don't know who the home team is. I will make some phone calls and try and get back to you. The only radio station that I know is broadcasting the game is KRUN (AM 1400) out of Ballinger. I don't think that we will be close enough to pick up the game in Sweetwater. It is a pretty weak station. I doubt that anyone else would be broadcasting. Have a safe trip and good luck.

vet93
11-13-2002, 12:13 PM
Just called the administration building. Vernon will be the home team and Ballinger will be on the visitors side.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-13-2002, 02:20 PM
Vet-thanks for the info and watch for my boy #35. Thanks again and a safe trip to you too.