PDA

View Full Version : OU's punishments / NCAA and it's missing backbone

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 01:30 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3081119

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Nothing that hurts the program in the long run.

The University of Oklahoma must vacate its football victories during the 2005 season, including a bowl game, as part of the penalties imposed by the NCAA in a pay-for-work-not-performed scheme involving a Norman auto dealership, Big Red Sports/Imports.

OU finished 8-4 in 2005 and beat Oregon, 17-14, in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl.

The major violations, called "significant and serious" by the NCAA, involved three players – including quarterback Rhett Bomar of Grand Prairie and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn of Garland -- who received about $17,000 in unearned wages, the NCAA said Wednesday.

Other penalties include:

• Two additional years of probation, extending to May 2010. The school already was on probation for basketball violations.

• The loss of two football scholarships for the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons.

• The banishment of former Big Red manager Brad McRae from association with the University until at least August 2011.

• A reduction in the number of football coaches who can recruit off campus this fall by one.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/071207dnspooulede.c8ab5b.html

burnet44
07-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
"significant and serious"

"are you serious?" John McEnroe

yeah right
Blow U makes the NCAA too much money
its not like its SMU or Southwest Texas State Teachers College

Adidas410s
07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
2 ships per year...and 1 off campus recruiter per year???? Man way to hit them where it hurts. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

burnet44
07-11-2007, 02:22 PM
bet they are worried about winning a game now?

JasperDog94
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
What a joke.:rolleyes:

burnet44
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
NCAA

National Committee Against All

Phil C
07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
I wonder what they are going to do about the USC and Reggie Bush infractions.

Phil C
07-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
2 ships per year...and 1 off campus recruiter per year???? Man way to hit them where it hurts. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If it had been the Aggies it would probably have been at least 4 ships per year for three years instead of two and 2 off campus recruiters per year.

:mad:

lepfan
07-11-2007, 03:54 PM
People in glass houses should not throw stones.

Phil C
07-11-2007, 03:55 PM
They should have made them forfeit the 2004 victory over UT.

burnet44
07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I wonder what they are going to do about the USC and Reggie Bush infractions.

nutting
hope everyone forgets

If it had been the Aggies it would probably have been at least 4 ships per year for three years instead of two and 2 off campus recruiters per year.

nope
the aggies dont win enough
probably 10 ships 4 years plus probie plus they have to paint Revelie Orange

Phil C
07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
nutting
hope everyone forgets

nope
the aggies dont win enough
probably 10 ships 4 years plus probie plus they have to paint Revelie Orange

Hey burnet44 does it mean the Aggies can claim a victory by forfeit over Oklahoma in 2005?

If so too bad it wasn't the 77 - 0 game. That would have been amusing indeed!

:D

Bulldog_12
07-11-2007, 04:46 PM

Actually it would probably be a loss of bowl for the upcoming year and no chance at a championship and also no tv. Oh wait, that did happen.:rolleyes:

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 04:49 PM
so where's the punishment?

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
what does 'vacate' victories mean?

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
what does 'vacate' victories mean?
They are officially 0-12 in the 2005 season.

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 05:19 PM
They are officially 0-12 in the 2005 season.

whatever

they will just have 8-4 with an asterisk from now on

what a horrible punishment!:rolleyes:

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 05:25 PM
They also lost that 1 scout remember, because you know how hard it is to get kids to come to OU.:rolleyes:

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
They also lost that 1 scout remember, because you know how hard it is to get kids to come to OU.:rolleyes:

yep, no name recognition; nobody's ever heard of them, so that scout is really going to make them dig deeper

JasperDog94
07-11-2007, 05:46 PM
I wonder if the staff is gonna draw straws to see which staff member gets fired?

What are the odds that the staff member gets a job at an automotive dealership?:eek: :doh:

KTJ
07-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Horrible.

This is sad. The NCAA decision is sad. OU is sad.

OU sucks.

I can't wait until October 6th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sahen
07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
so Baylor shouldve made a bowl in 2005...our OT loss to OU wouldve been a win if they werent cheating and we wouldve been 6-5, great...thanks for kicking us in the nuts again at Baylor NCAA, we cant do anything right, even when we do qualify for a bowl its retroactively....

if Baylor would have done this i cant imagine what the NCAA wouldve done to us....

btw, this is OU's 7th time on probation....

burnet44
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Bears and Aggies win
so sue the NCAA for loss of bowl money
Did TAMU go to a bowl?
then sue because the win would have put them in a better bowl

so TAMU and Bears won vs Blow U that year

thanks NCAA great job

why dont we try this
forfet in front instead of behind

kinda like Baylor B ball
no non con games

So let Blow u forfet Non Con games
or
make them play on the road every week

no home games to generate money

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-11-2007, 09:43 PM

or

i like this idea. :D

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i like this idea. :D

good to see you, bullfrog!

when do you return from the hot place?

where are you, again?

Baghdad?

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
im in tikrit. i should be home within the next 4 to 5 months. i cant really say when. you know how opsec goes. aside from that; i dont know for sure. im hoping ill be able to be home to go see the red river rivalry this year on october 6th, but that's cutting it close. how are you doing on getting stationed at NAS-JRB Fort Worth?

sahen
07-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Bears and Aggies win
so sue the NCAA for loss of bowl money
Did TAMU go to a bowl?
then sue because the win would have put them in a better bowl

so TAMU and Bears won vs Blow U that year

thanks NCAA great job

why dont we try this
forfet in front instead of behind

kinda like Baylor B ball
no non con games

or

i think K-State went 5-6 w/ a loss to OU in '05 as well...3 teams shouldve went bowling that didnt....it sucks for K-State and the Aggies for sure but think of how huge it wouldve been for Baylor to finally go back to a bowl game, oh well...i wish we could get away w/ cheating, but alas it is impossible for my bears....

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
sahen, that brings up an excellent point. they should make them pay, out of the athletics budget, the amount that the schools would have earned had they gone to a bowl and won it. therfore the other schools arent out of that money that they would have earned.

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 09:59 PM
im in tikrit. i should be home within the next 4 to 5 months. i cant really say when. you know how opsec goes. aside from that; i dont know for sure. im hoping ill be able to be home to go see the red river rivalry this year on october 6th, but that's cutting it close. how are you doing on getting stationed at NAS-JRB Fort Worth?

still waiting on word from my monitor; and yes, i remember OPSEC!

something would happen and then all of our comm would be down with CONUS for up to a day or two

Right now, it looks like i will either end up in New Orleans or Fort Worth; obviously, FW is my preference!

should know within a couple of weeks at most, but still wouldn't move until after the baby is born in mid-september (oh well, at least i am here for this one)

Stay safe out there, and good morning!

sahen
07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
sahen, that brings up an excellent point. they should make them pay, out of the athletics budget, the amount that the schools would have earned had they gone to a bowl and won it. therfore the other schools arent out of that money that they would have earned.

yah...the money would be nice, but i was thinkin of how baylor wouldve benefitted from a recruiting standpoint....

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-11-2007, 10:02 PM
hopefully you will get to go to FW. we'll have to go down the stock yards and get smashed. its great that you will get to be there for your child's birth. i must say, im envious. i really cant wait to have children.

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by sahen
yah...the money would be nice, but i was thinkin of how baylor wouldve benefitted from a recruiting standpoint.... i realize that. but also think about this; if they were to take that money away from that team and give it to other teams then there is more than just one thing that will end up suffering from it and quite possibly with the shift in moralle of the athletes as a whole the program would tear it self apart.

sahen
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
i realize that. but also think about this; if they were to take that money away from that team and give it to other teams then there is more than just one thing that will end up suffering from it and quite possibly with the shift in moralle of the athletes as a whole the program would tear it self apart.

yah...i know, i just think nothing can replace actually going to the game...esp. when you havent been in so long....

Darren
07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
They got what they deserved

Emerson1
i think K-State went 5-6 w/ a loss to OU in '05 as well...3 teams shouldve went bowling that didnt....it sucks for K-State and the Aggies for sure but think of how huge it wouldve been for Baylor to finally go back to a bowl game, oh well...i wish we could get away w/ cheating, but alas it is impossible for my bears....

It's not like those teams would of won even if Bomar and Quinn didn't play.

I think OU should have to give up their revenue from the bowl game, but not pay out to the crappy teams they played. If they have to pay out to them, they have to pay out to almost every other team that was in bowl games because it would of been different matchups with different amounts of money involved.

charlesrixey
hopefully you will get to go to FW. we'll have to go down the stock yards and get smashed. its great that you will get to be there for your child's birth. i must say, im envious. i really cant wait to have children.

well, this is our third (and final) kid, and the first one i will witness

i definately didn't want another over-the-phone Iraq birth conversation with DVD to follow

got tired of that

my unit actually leaves again in September, but because of my EAS and the SGTMAJ pulling for me to see my kid's birth i was able to stay behind. Right now most of the unit is on block leave, as we have finished most of our Pre-deployment training

what is your MOS?

tell you what

i'm going to turn this into a separate thread so we can leave this other discussion alone!

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
yah...i know, i just think nothing can replace actually going to the game...esp. when you havent been in so long.... i understand. but hind sight is 20/20, you know?

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/3403/oufv3.jpg

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
VERY good graphic, Emerson!

:clap:

sahen
07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
It's not like those teams would of won even if Bomar and Quinn didn't play.

you can argue that either way....K-State lost by a good bit to them but Baylor and A&M both only lost by a touchdown...(Bears by 7 and Aggies by 6, and Baylor lost in OT)....w/o OU's "star" starting QB its very likely they get beat by both....

sahen
07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
i understand. but hind sight is 20/20, you know?

yes i know...we both agree howeverthat they shouldve been punished more severly...what they got is nothing more than a slap on the wrist....

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 10:15 PM
you can argue that either way....K-State lost by a good bit to them but Baylor and A&M both only lost by a touchdown...(Bears by 7 and Aggies by 6, and Baylor lost in OT)....w/o OU's "star" starting QB its very likely they get beat by both....
They would of had Thompson and won by more.

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-11-2007, 10:18 PM
yes i know...we both agree howeverthat they shouldve been punished more severly...what they got is nothing more than a slap on the wrist.... yes it is. believe me, i am by no means trying to defend that university or anything it stands for. id be dead before caught doing that. who knows maybe this small piece will set in motion that will be the eventual avalanche that destroys the glint of hope that they have from all of this.

sahen
07-11-2007, 10:30 PM
They would of had Thompson and won by more.

like they did earlier in the year against TCU....thompson wasnt worth a darn at QB til this year, and Bomar was a better QB than Thompson....

piratebg
07-12-2007, 12:31 AM
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/3403/oufv3.jpg

Very cool.

I have been checking out the OU message board and there are some really pissed off people over there. It's kept me entertained for a while now.

Phil C
07-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
so where's the punishment?

Don't forget the shame and humiliation. :)

Phil C
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM
i realize that. but also think about this; if they were to take that money away from that team and give it to other teams then there is more than just one thing that will end up suffering from it and quite possibly with the shift in moralle of the athletes as a whole the program would tear it self apart.

Alas! Surely there will be more happier days than this!

:(

JasperDog94
07-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Very cool.

I have been checking out the OU message board and there are some really pissed off people over there. It's kept me entertained for a while now. What are they ticked off about?

Phil C
07-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
What are they ticked off about?

I was wondering the same thing. If anything they should be delighed and relieved.