PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken's Streak or Brett Farve's Streak?

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I had an arguement the other day with a buddy of mine...he believes that Brett Farve's consecutive games streak is more impressive than Cal Ripken's consecutive games streak....i believe Cal's is more impressive...so settle the arguement for me

Cal's Streak - 2,632 games
Farves Streak - 257 games(incl. playoffs)

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 10:47 AM
no one will ever win this one - you believe what you believe and he believes what he believes - why would you try to change his belief if you don't want anyone changing yours? :D

BTW as much as I hate the pack Brett's is more impressive b/c of the beating he has taken - full contact baby!!

WOO HOO FOR FOOTBALL!!!

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
no one will ever win this one - you believe what you believe and he believes what he believes - why would you try to change his belief if you don't want anyone changing yours? :D

BTW as much as I hate the pack Brett's is more impressive b/c of the beating he has taken - full contact baby!!

WOO HOO FOR FOOTBALL!!!
o i know, i just want more people to agree with me so he feels like he's wrong :D

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Brett Farve no doubt. In baseball you just stand there. The only way you get injured is if you didn't stretch good enough.

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Brett Farve no doubt. In baseball you just stand there. The only way you get injured is if you didn't stretch good enough.
ya but your playing 162 games a year...maybe a day off every once in awhile...Farve gets a week and sometimes 2 weeks between games so farve can nurse his injuries longer

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Because a game of football is a little bit more punishing then baseball. The worst thing you can do in baseball is hit the ball on the bat wrong and have it sting you hands a little bit.

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Because a game of football is a little bit more punishing then baseball. The worst thing you can do in baseball is hit the ball on the bat wrong and have it sting you hands a little bit.
what about a 95 mph baseball flying at you with no protection?

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 11:11 AM
I am all about football, but Favre's streak can and probably will be broken. I truely do not believe that Ripken's streak will ever be touched. NO WAY JOSE!!!

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I am all about football, but Favre's streak can and probably will be broken. I truely do not believe that Ripken's streak will ever be touched. NO WAY JOSE!!!

So, is that the measuring stick for making it more impressive? That it will never be broken? I can at least agree that that is impressive. I'm not taking anything away from Ripkin's accomplishment, but what Brett has done is pretty impressive since he is the biggest piece of the offense.

Who is close, right now, to breaking Brett's record??

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Like one of you said yourself, football gets a weeks rest, so that gives the players the rest they need to play another game. Baseball is about 27 or 28 games a month, and I don't care who you are that gets hard on a body as well. With all the rules in football that protect the quarterbacks from good form tackles, this doesn't make the streak by favre untouchable. IMPRESSIVE, HE** YEAH, but untouchable no.

Think about how many games a baseball player would have to play day after day w/o getting the flu that keeps so many football players out of practice all week, so that they can be full strength for sunday's game. To beat ripken's streak you either can't get sick or you play through it for 3 days or longer b/c you aren't sitting out games or practice to rest up.

Taking nothing away from Favre (I love the guy as a competitor and human being), but this really doesn't seem like an argument TO ME.

Darren
07-11-2007, 11:23 AM
A full contact sport vs. baseball.

Brett's streak is much more impressive. I love Cal and his streak is amazing but he could go in for one inning and play to continue the streak Brett doesn't have that luxury.

Snyder_TigerFan
07-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Check out this ESPN Poll...Ripken wins it here.Link (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/readers/greatest/individualstreaks.html)

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Darren, but you don't even know what you are talking about.

And yes, I would measure the impressiveness by whether the streak will ever be touched again or not. That is what makes it so impressive, they have done something that no one or very view can accomplish.

There may not be anyone get close to favre's either, but that would only be b/c today's athletes have made the decision to take their money and enjoy life a little more (can't blame them, go be with your family sometime or something, or don't play till you can't anymore and not be able to enjoy your life in other ways afterwards), they don't seem as tough and hard core athletes as the favres and ripkens. A hard working dedicated football qb that loves the game could break favre's record without TOO MUCH amazement, but not ripken's. IN MY OPINION (granted)

And Darren, you act like that was done all the time by Ripken, one inning and out. That isn't the kinda guy he is, he was going to do it right, or he wasn't going to do it.

rangerjim
07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd take a 95 mph fastball to the ribs but not a 300 pound linebacker getting a good shot at me. The first seriously wounds me - the second kills me. Who cares who has more time to recover. Both sports are tough as h&$% otherwise everyone would have a streak of consecutive games going.

FARVE

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 11:43 AM

It probably shouldn't, but that comment made me laugh! :o It reminded me of the Big Lebowski "Donny, STHU you are out of your element!" LMAO.

sorry Darren

Back to the topic at hand....

This is definately one of those "arguements" where, IMO, no one is wrong in what they believe and people should just agree to disagree. I can agree that both are great accomplishments, but IMO, Brett's is more impressive (for the 3rd time) to ME. :)

Macarthur
07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Brett's is impressive, but Ripken wins easily.

He played everyday for over 16 years! 16 years!

Darren
07-11-2007, 12:02 PM

And yes, I would measure the impressiveness by whether the streak will ever be touched again or not. That is what makes it so impressive, they have done something that no one or very view can accomplish.

There may not be anyone get close to favre's either, but that would only be b/c today's athletes have made the decision to take their money and enjoy life a little more (can't blame them, go be with your family sometime or something, or don't play till you can't anymore and not be able to enjoy your life in other ways afterwards), they don't seem as tough and hard core athletes as the favres and ripkens. A hard working dedicated football qb that loves the game could break favre's record without TOO MUCH amazement, but not ripken's. IN MY OPINION (granted)

And Darren, you act like that was done all the time by Ripken, one inning and out. That isn't the kinda guy he is, he was going to do it right, or he wasn't going to do it.

?Que?

Did Cal play a couple of games were he started a game only to be removed after the first Inning? Or pinched hit so that the Streak could continue?

Don't get me wrong both streaks are very impressive but Brett hasn't gone in for one play as the holder for an extra point to continue his streak. (he has however taken a crap load of Pain Pills) :D

IMO

rangerjim
07-11-2007, 12:14 PM
By my math Farve's record is equivelant to 16 years of games............ gee and I do believe these guys do practice everyday too!. It's not like he's watching the View all day long Tuesday through Saturday.

Macarthur
07-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Still Ripken.

Mustangpride09
07-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
I'd take a 95 mph fastball to the ribs but not a 300 pound linebacker getting a good shot at me. The first seriously wounds me - the second kills me. Who cares who has more time to recover. Both sports are tough as h&$% otherwise everyone would have a streak of consecutive games going.

FARVE

How many NFL linebacker's weigh 300 lbs?

smustangs
07-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
How many NFL linebacker's weigh 300 lbs?

thats what i was wondering haha

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Football is way more physically demanding than baseball is or ever will be, so for Favre to hold up for as many consecutive games as he did is very impressive, as is Cal Ripken's. I voted for Favre though because: A. I'm a football guy, and B. I want you to look wrong to the person you're arguing with. Nothing personal, that's just how I roll.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
How many NFL linebacker's weigh 300 lbs? I don't know, but Warren Sapp was a big (insert whatever position he plays - yes, i'm playing the "i'm a girl card") dude and he was always busting up on Brett!!

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Football is way more physically demanding than baseball is or ever will be, so for Favre to hold up for as many consecutive games as he did is very impressive, as is Cal Ripken's. I voted for Favre though because: A. I'm a football guy, and B. I want you to look wrong to the person you're arguing with. Nothing personal, that's just how I roll.

First off, who was this directed to, and I am once again all about the football. But I still have to give this one IMO to ripken. I agree that for each side we will have to agree to disagree. Just fun to throw some things out there.

Understand whoever said the practice thing everyday about football. You may have never seen a professional football practice or schedule. But there is a lot of film time and QB's are more protected there than they are in the games (which is rediculous the extent of protection the league gives them, I KNOW THEY ARE VERY VALUABLE TO THIER TEAM, but isn't it a part of what the game use to be about). My point was that in football a QB is protected by the league and if he is injured he sits out practice, if he is sick he sits out practice to rest up and get better for the one game a week he needs to be available for. Ripken didn't have this luxury, he had to be ready and available to step on the field every day with no days off or rest for the weary. IMO that is why his is a little more impressive.

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 02:02 PM
I figured it out, BBDE was directing his comment to the originator of the thread. I was in a hurry sorry.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 02:04 PM
First off, who was this directed to, and I am once again all about the football.

Why did it have to be directed at anyone? He was just stating his opinion.

I agree, this has been a fun topic. :D

Emerson1
07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
First off, who was this directed to, and I am once again all about the football. But I still have to give this one IMO to ripken. I agree that for each side we will have to agree to disagree. Just fun to throw some things out there.

Understand whoever said the practice thing everyday about football. You may have never seen a professional football practice or schedule. But there is a lot of film time and QB's are more protected there than they are in the games (which is rediculous the extent of protection the league gives them, I KNOW THEY ARE VERY VALUABLE TO THIER TEAM, but isn't it a part of what the game use to be about). My point was that in football a QB is protected by the league and if he is injured he sits out practice, if he is sick he sits out practice to rest up and get better for the one game a week he needs to be available for. Ripken didn't have this luxury, he had to be ready and available to step on the field every day with no days off or rest for the weary. IMO that is why his is a little more impressive.

True, but the game of baseball is not physically demanding in any way shape or form like football is. The only way to get seriously injured is in a freak accident like getting hit by a pitch or running into a wall. Other then that it's mostly pulled muscles from not stretching well enough.

QB's were not protected as much a few years ago aswell. I doubt Troy Aikmen would have 10 concussions in todays league.

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
A lot can happen over 2000 and something strait games, have you ever seen players run into each other for fly balls, collisions at the plate, have you ever slid face first into second base day in and day out.

All of this stuff seems silly when compared to full contact, I AGREE, but it has to be considered when it is over that many consecutive games and he couldn't rest at all. And the point was that football players get the week's rest due to preparation for the next game and recovery from acheing muscles and injuries. So once again that is a non-issue. Throw in the other aspect again of if ripken was too sick to play he would miss a game or two. If Favre was too sick on a tues. or wed. then he would sit out practice and drug up to get back to a playing speed by sun. or mon.

IMO RIPKEN TAKES IT BY JUST A LITTLE.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 02:16 PM
OH MY GOD - The poll is tied!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 02:18 PM
go figure right.

I will say that brett favre is tough, and when someone does beat his streak, it will still be less impressive than his, b/c of the new protection rules.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
go figure right.

I will say that brett favre is tough, and when someone does beat his streak, it will still be less impressive than his, b/c of the new protection rules.

You would think BECAUSE of the new protection rules it'd be almost a given that someone will break his record soon. Again, is there a current player who is even close?

I hate the protection rules for QB, well unless they QB for Dallas then I'm all for it, he needs all the help he can get. :p See, I can make jokes about the Cowboys. :D

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
HA Ripken is up one now. This poll tells the tale of how this is impressive from both ends. I just don't want to think that the 12 votes are just b/c it is football vs. baseball.

If it were that I would have voted football myself, but RIPKEN deserves IMO to edge this one. I AM A FAVRE FAN, I will watch the packers lose by 24 points anyday to watch him play another game.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
HA Ripken is up one now. This poll tells the tale of how this is impressive from both ends. I just don't want to think that the 12 votes are just b/c it is football vs. baseball.

If it were that I would have voted football myself, but RIPKEN deserves IMO to edge this one. I AM A FAVRE FAN, I will watch the packers lose by 24 points anyday to watch him play another game.

:doh: I would hope people on this board wouldn't be so narrow minded, but you never know! :o :eek: :p

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I only said that b/c that was the main reason given by some of the favre voters. To quote one of them

"A. I am a football guy"

keep rolling, just kidding, but really.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
o i know, i just want more people to agree with me so he feels like he's wrong :D

I don't know how I missed this the first time!! :eek:

If he truly believes that Brett's is more impressive, than even this poll voted on by strangers, won't convince him that he is wrong and if it does.....well then.....wow is all I can say about your friend.

and buff4ever - BBDE is just being BBDE ;)

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't know how I missed this the first time!! :eek:

If he truly believes that Brett's is more impressive, than even this poll voted on by strangers, won't convince him that he is wrong and if it does.....well then.....wow is all I can say about your friend.

and buff4ever - BBDE is just being BBDE ;)
o i know it wont convince him to change i just want some bragging rights lol

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh I know BBDE is fine, I just had to use his comment to further support my side of the voting.

I have no problems with BBDE.

PMONEY, if I were you I would say that this poll if you only counted the SPORTS FANS, not individual sport fans, then you would have a total of 13 for ripken and 8 for favre.

THERE ARE YOUR BRAGGING RIGHTS. Go with it and don't look back.

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 03:07 PM
woops, 14 to 8, better yet.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
MDIBTY at its finest - ROFLMAO!

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 03:17 PM
As for that 13th vote that came in for favre, it is only a football vote unless we can get some other reason that I am a football guy, which is what votes w/o comments get labeled. still 14 to 8 IMO. ha ha

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 03:20 PM
As for that 13th vote that came in for favre, it is only a football vote unless we can get some other reason that I am a football guy, which is what votes w/o comments get labeled. still 14 to 8 IMO. ha ha the lengths men will go to to win an arguement and/or bet! :doh: :dispntd: :speech: :D

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
As for that 13th vote that came in for favre, it is only a football vote unless we can get some other reason that I am a football guy, which is what votes w/o comments get labeled. still 14 to 8 IMO. ha ha

That 13th vote was mine, 200+ consecutive "contact" games is way more impressive to me than 2000+ standaround games!!

And I have NEVER said I am a "football guy"!

I'm a football GIRL!!:tongue: :tongue: :kiss:

LH Panther Mom
07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
See, I can make jokes about the Cowboys. :D
Good, because otherwise you couldn't have much to say. :devil: ;)

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 03:26 PM
okay, addendum to the football guy rule. Football girls are no better excuses, so also not a different reason. Still 14 to 8 IMO.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Good, because otherwise you couldn't have much to say. :devil: ;) oooohhhhh you are in big trouble now!!! Why I oughta!!!! :mad: :foul: :twitch:

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 03:30 PM
okay, addendum to the football guy rule. Football girls are no better excuses, so also not a different reason. Still 14 to 8 IMO. Like your opinion means anything. :hand:

haha j/k couldn't pass it up :p

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 03:31 PM
cool it you two. No personal threats on here. Wouldn't want to see you try and kick the other off of here. :confused: :) :) :) :)

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 03:33 PM
cool it you two. No personal threats on here. Wouldn't want to see you try and kick the other off of here. :confused: :) :) :) :) Not likely. Been there, done that.

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
okay, addendum to the football guy rule. Football girls are no better excuses, so also not a different reason. Still 14 to 8 IMO.

That's just silly!

If you stood there and let me run a circle around you 2000+ times...or, let me hit you in the face 200 times....I would be MORE impressed with you taking the 200 hits!!

Your logic is flawed.....but, you ARE a guy, so it is to be expected!:hand:

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
LMAO oh and I have someone in mind that we can try that hitting in the face 200 times theory on :p :devil: :evillol:

LH Panther Mom
07-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That's just silly!

If you stood there and let me run a circle around you 2000+ times...or, let me hit you in the face 200 times....I would be MORE impressed with you taking the 200 hits!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good job, RM - not too shabby for a "football GIRL". :)

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 03:43 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Good job, RM - not too shabby for a "football GIRL". :)

Thanks {{smacks gum}}:D

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I would actually beg to possibly differ. If I had to choose between YOU running around me every day over 2000 times, and YOU hitting me once a week for 200 weeks. I MIGHT CHOOSE THE HIT.

Nothing against you being with me everyday, but it would be a heck of a time committment to meet everyday in stead of once a week. Also, just to note, we would finish at least 85 or so weeks sooner with the hitting process.

THE ABOVE IS JUST SOME BRAIN STORMING, note the possibly differ in the first sentence.

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I would actually beg to possibly differ. .

Guys that beg are kinda pathetic!!

:D

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
You avoided the point, the point that proved my vote was more logical than the other vote.

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 04:13 PM
You avoided the point, the point that proved my vote was more logical than the other vote.

Your vote is just that...YOUR vote!!

You aren't going to change my mind, just like you aren't going to change the 257 votes FOR Bret Favre either!!!

:D :D :D

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Now that was not a fair move. A good move, but not fair.

Let's keep the play between the lines and between the whistles. Somewhere somehow that move was not in the lines or between the whistles.
:doh: :doh: :mad: :) :) :) :) :)

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Your vote is just that...YOUR vote!!

You aren't going to change my mind, just like you aren't going to change the 257 votes FOR Bret Favre either!!!

:D :D :D

:evillol: LMAO :clap:

buff4ever
you just had to go mess up pmoney's poll,

PMONEY, it is still about 15 to 8 or 9 pending.

Ranger Mom
Now that was not a fair move. A good move, but not fair.

Let's keep the play between the lines and between the whistles. Somewhere somehow that move was not in the lines or between the whistles.
:doh: :doh: :mad: :) :) :) :) :)

Okay!! Okay! I will put the votes back like they were.

We will just have to agree to disagree about this.

PMoney--Tell your friend that he is actually correct!!;)

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 04:18 PM

We will just have to agree to disagree about this. Tell your friend that he is actually correct!!;)
It isn't even buff's friend!!! :doh: PMoney started all this, we just took over.

Like I stated earlier - no one is RIGHT.

Buccaneer
07-11-2007, 04:19 PM
LMAO oh and I have someone in mind that we can try that hitting in the face 200 times theory on :p :devil: :evillol:

I nominate Aggie John!

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 04:19 PM
It isn't even buff's friend!!! :doh: PMoney started all this, we just took over.

Like I stated earlier - no one is RIGHT.

LOL!! You were quoting while I was editing! I HATE when that happens!!:mad: :mad:

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
this has been one of the most fun threads in a while, even though we lost the interest of most towards the end. It has been fun ladies, but in the end WE WON!!;) ;) :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
this has been one of the most fun threads in a while, even though we lost the interest of most towards the end. It has been fun ladies, but in the end WE WON!!;) ;) :clap: :clap:

Who is we??

I guarantee you all 13 of those votes are NOT from "the ladies"!!

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Who is we??

I guarantee you all 13 of those votes are NOT from "the ladies"!!

He must have a mouse in his pocket. :p ;)

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:28 PM
why do you have to make it about men vs. women all the time.

I was only referring to the ripken voters when I said WE, and I in no way meant that the ladies were all for favre, or else that would be another reason that those votes aren't fair for ripken.

I only said ladies b/c the MAJORITY of the last 10 or so post were between myself and you two ladies. Man, it is tough to coexist on a board where the ladies make it a sexist thing.

THE RIPKEN VOTERS WON:) :) :)

That 14 vote came w/o a reason so it also didn't count. Ha ha ha. 15 to 8.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 04:31 PM

I was only referring to the ripken voters when I said WE, and I in no way meant that the ladies were all for favre, or else that would be another reason that those votes aren't fair for ripken.

I only said ladies b/c the MAJORITY of the last 10 or so post were between myself and you two ladies. Man, it is tough to coexist on a board where the ladies make it a sexist thing.

That 14 vote came w/o a reason so it also didn't count. Ha ha ha. 15 to 8.

:doh: :doh:

Why does everyone have to have a reason for their vote? You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. :doh:

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 04:33 PM

We will just have to agree to disagree about this.

PMoney--Tell your friend that he is actually correct!!;)
i think not...I won:D

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I think you understand my reasoning, but if not, here we go again. I had determined to make the voting a little more one sided in ripken's favor that the lame b/c I am a football guy/girl, isn't a good or fair reason to vote for favre. Therefore to also help myself out, I determined that no comment votes were probably just football guy/girl votes.

I know this is a little unfair, but you gotta do what you gotta do. In all honesty the voting is as close as I would expect it to be, but I do feel a lot of people don't appreciate ripkens task as much as favre only for that one reason which I feel balances out with the 5 to 7 days of rest pro football players get.

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 04:36 PM

That 14 vote came w/o a reason so it also didn't count. Ha ha

Once again your logic is flawed. I don't see where 15 votes for Ripkin came with a reason either!!

As a matter of fact....ALL the posts on this entire thread were between 12 posters only!!!

There were more reasons FOR it being in Favor of Favre than there was against!!!

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
congratulations pmoney. go brag, and brag it up good.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I think you understand my reasoning, but if not, here we go again. I had determined to make the voting a little more one sided in ripken's favor that the lame b/c I am a football guy/girl, isn't a good or fair reason to vote for favre. Therefore to also help myself out, I determined that no comment votes were probably just football guy/girl votes.

I know this is a little unfair, but you gotta do what you gotta do. In all honesty the voting is as close as I would expect it to be, but I do feel a lot of people don't appreciate ripkens task as much as favre only for that one reason which I feel balances out with the 5 to 7 days of rest pro football players get.

Obviously, in YOUR mind it doesn't matter if I understand or not! So sad....:D

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Right, but understand that there wasn't a single vote for ripken that was b/c the voter was just a BASEBALL GUY/GIRL, in fact my vote for ripken came from myself A FOOTBALL GUY.

So I was calling out the football bias voters and assuming for pmoney's benefit that the non-comments for favre were FOOTBALL GUYS/GIRLS.

Even when you take out my logic by the way, Ripken is still ahead.:D :D ;)

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Obviously, in YOUR mind it doesn't matter if I understand or not! So sad....:D

Amateurs.....huh??:p

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Even with the football guys/girls vote....Cal is still winning lol:D

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Right, but understand that there wasn't a single vote for ripken that was b/c the voter was just a BASEBALL GUY/GIRL, in fact my vote for ripken came from myself A FOOTBALL GUY.

So I was calling out the football bias voters and assuming for pmoney's benefit that the non-comments for favre were FOOTBALL GUYS/GIRLS.

Even when you take out my logic by the way, Ripken is still ahead.:D :D ;)

So far....by one!!

Whoop-Di-Do!!!:devil: :devil:

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
BUT, if need Pmoney and myself can fall back on the logic thrown in by myself. Even if we are the only ones to buy into it, that is good enough for us to brag on.:) :) ;)

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 04:44 PM
So far....by one!!

Whoop-Di-Do!!!:devil: :devil:
winning is still winning if you kick a FG in the final seconds or blow a team out by 50 you still won:D

buff4ever
and then there was 2 votes separating.

Pmoney
BUT, if need Pmoney and myself can fall back on the logic thrown in by myself. Even if we are the only ones to buy into it, that is good enough for us to brag on.:) :) ;)
exactly

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 04:48 PM
winning is still winning if you kick a FG in the final seconds or blow a team out by 50 you still won:D

:doh: you don't get it!!!!

What's funny is he is probably at home, work, wherever bragging that he won b/c he believes Brett's accomplishment to be superior and he probably didn't need a poll to prove it or maybe he did? :thinking: :D

You guys are SO SILLY!!!

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 04:51 PM
:doh: you don't get it!!!!

What's funny is he is probably at home, work, wherever bragging that he won b/c he believes Brett's accomplishment to be superior and he probably didn't need a poll to prove it or maybe he did? :thinking: :D

You guys are SO SILLY!!!
i know this isnt going to change his mind...i just want him to know that more people agree with me than him

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
i know this isnt going to change his mind...i just want him to know that more people agree with me than him

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LH Panther Mom
07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
MDIBTY :devil: :devil:

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
be sure and throw my logic figures in there, still roughly 16 to we will say 9. I will give some of the voters benefit of the doubt, that they may not have read my logic to know to comment, even if that have to make something up.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
exactly ;)

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
looks like there is a tie right now

16-16

I think it would be fair to say that if Farve was to play the same number of years as Ripken's streak took, then it should be considered a similar-type achievement

still has two years or so (if i am thinking correctly) before he gets to that point

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 05:01 PM
it is already a similar type achievement. The question here was not were they similar, that is a given, both are impressive, which one is slightly more impressive.

I think all things considered IMO RIPKEN EDGES THIS ONE.

Pmoney
07-11-2007, 05:02 PM
crap its tied

buff4ever
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
don't forget the logic. We can't have sports biased opinions when judging athletic accomplishments!!!!:) :)

LH Panther Mom
07-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't need logic to vote.....I voted for Favre because the other "girls" did. :D :p ;) J/K

Ranger Mom
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
I don't need logic to vote.....I voted for Favre because the other "girls" did. :D :p ;) J/K

Hehe!!;)

Darren
07-11-2007, 09:55 PM
That's just silly!

Agreed...

Darren
07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
What happened Buff????

Where is your so called logic?

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Darren
What happened Buff????

Where is your so called logic?

Better be careful he will tell you, again, that you have no idea what you are talking about!! :eek: :eek:

Darren
07-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Better be careful he will tell you, again, that you have no idea what you are talking about!! :eek: :eek:

I know... But thats why I am asking. Apparently 18 other people are with me on this one.

So at least I'm not the only one that doesn't know what they are talking about.

So what ya got Buff??

buff4ever
07-12-2007, 08:22 AM
good morning!

And by the way LH PANTHER's vote counts, granted it is not a good reason but different than football guy/girl.

There for my logic still has ripken up about 18 to 10 or 11???

You ask and you shall receive.

Ranger Mom
07-12-2007, 08:32 AM
good morning!

And by the way LH PANTHER's vote counts, granted it is not a good reason but different than football guy/girl.

There for my logic still has ripken up about 18 to 10 or 11???

You ask and you shall receive.

I still haven't seen 18 reasons why RIPKEN should be there!!

So, I have no other choice but to go with the majority vote!!

:D

rangerjim
07-12-2007, 08:34 AM
It seems like 2 days ago I voted for Farve - with a reason. So I'm one of the 19

I am a baseball guy - first and foremost - am also a Chicago Bears fan so hate Green Bay with a passion just because - but Farve's accomplishments (with more games to come!!!!!) are more impressive.

One last thing - when I vote at home for local, State, and every 4 years for prez I don't have to give a reason do I?????????

buff4ever
07-12-2007, 09:20 AM
actually rangerjim that makes you one of the 10 that can say you voted for a reason other than a football guy/girl.

This logic is all in fun by the way, just throwing that out there.

I was bothered by the fact that we were voting on individual accomplishments not one sport vs. another. That is the basis for my logic is that no one that voted for ripken is voting for him totally based on the fact that they like baseball more than football. Rather, they voted for him b/c of the difficulty and how impressive it is that he was able to be available day in and day out for over 2000 straight games. (no few days off, no sitting out practice)

I know you guys/gals will argue with me till the end of time, and that is expected and fine. It would be more fine if I felt like you actually understood my problem with your vote if it were just just for football vs. baseball, ripken deserves a fare vote for his accomplishment.

Ranger Mom
07-12-2007, 09:34 AM
That is the basis for my logic is that no one that voted for ripken is voting for him totally based on the fact that they like baseball more than football. Rather, they voted for him b/c of the difficulty and how impressive it is that he was able to be available day in and day out for over 2000 straight games. (no few days off, no sitting out practice)

You assume that....BUT, the majority of the RIPKEN voters didn't state that....so why should we Favre votes have to state why we are voting the way we do??

This isn't even your poll and you are changing up the rules to make it in favor of what YOU want.

NOT COOL!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :D

LH Panther Mom
07-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I was bothered by the fact that we were voting on individual accomplishments not one sport vs. another.
:confused: :confused: I thought we were supposed to be voting on individual accomplishments. Man.....somebody should've told me that it was a sport vs sport thing. :doh: :p

buff4ever
07-12-2007, 09:41 AM
of course I am, it is more fun to be right than wrong, am I correct.

And to comment on what you said about the ripken voters, I would venture to say on this board about 3a football, that there are more football is better fans on here than baseball is better fans (TO INCLUDE MYSELF). Therefore I feel it is safe to assume, especially since none of the ripken voters said "cause I am a baseball guy", that they all voted for him b/c they were more impressed with his accomplishment not the fact that he plays baseball instead of football.

IS THIS REALLY THAT HARD TO GRASP!

JK:) :) :)

Darren
07-12-2007, 10:02 AM
What has happened to the Cal vs. Brett poll?

It’s just strange that anyone would convince themselves some votes are valid and some aren't based on flawed logic.

I didn't see any hanging chads.

pirate4state
07-12-2007, 10:07 AM
of course I am, it is more fun to be right than wrong, am I correct.

And to comment on what you said about the ripken voters, I would venture to say on this board about 3a football, that there are more football is better fans on here than baseball is better fans (TO INCLUDE MYSELF). Therefore I feel it is safe to assume, especially since none of the ripken voters said "cause I am a baseball guy", that they all voted for him b/c they were more impressed with his accomplishment not the fact that he plays baseball instead of football.

IS THIS REALLY THAT HARD TO GRASP!

JK:) :) :)

Well you know what they say about ASSuming :p :p

Pmoney
07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
come on ppl vote Ripken lol:D