PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujols crying again...

Maroon87
07-11-2007, 01:13 AM
So much talent...so immature.

Pujols irked about getting left on bench
Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Albert Pujols was angry about being left on the All-Star bench and the St. Louis slugger took aim at the National League manager — who just happened to be Tony La Russa of his own Cardinals.

"It's the All-Star game. He can do what he wants," Pujols said Tuesday night. "He does whatever he wants. If I wasn't expecting to play, I wouldn't have come up here."

Pujols, the NL MVP in 2005 and key to the Cardinals' win in the World Series last year, said La Russa didn't talk to him the entire game.

Pujols could only watch when Aaron Rowand flied out with the bases loaded to end the American League's 5-4 win.

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."

With the 32-man rosters, it's not uncommon for few players to be left out. The AL used 27 players, while the NL used 28.

Pujols and Texas shortstop Michael Young — last year's All-Star game MVP — were the only position players who didn't get into the game. Ever since the 2002 event ended in an extra-innings tie, managers have tended to hold a hitter back just in case.

La Russa said he indeed was saving his star player in case the game went long.

"Once we lost (Miguel) Cabrera and (Freddy) Sanchez, he was the guy we were going to use to protect ourselves in case we kept playing because of Albert's versatility," La Russa said. "I think we had the right guy at bat."

A six-time All-Star, Pujols finished about 770,000 votes behind starting first baseman Prince Fielder. He played left field regularly in 2002 and '03 and also saw time at third base in 2001 and '02.

Pujols said he was getting his body loose the whole night.

"I was ready to go since the game started," Pujols said.

Pujols is mired in a career-worst home run slump — 22 games and a career-worst 74 at-bats. He is tied with Chris Duncan for the team lead with 16 homers and his last homer was off Kansas City's Jimmy Gobble on June 14.

c-town_balla
07-11-2007, 01:19 AM
I really dont blame him for being pissed.....he is goooood

KTA
07-11-2007, 01:20 AM
I kinda dont blame the guy

Highschoolfan78
07-11-2007, 01:20 AM
It's an honor just to be there.. He should remain humble

KTA
07-11-2007, 01:22 AM
sorry c-town, not trying to copy your post. You just hit the send button b4 i did lol.

Why would you want to travel all the way across the country to sit on your butt? Plus what C-town said....hes good

g$$
07-11-2007, 02:29 AM
At least pinch hit in the 9th w/ men on & those guys had already batted in the game (Hudson, Rowand). He is after all one of the most feared sluggers in the game. He is not having "his" best year but he has set the bar awfully high. I wonder if he & Tony have a beef or something...weird deal to me.

Pujols is not my favorite, but I don't blame him here. His own mgr. dissed him on the big stage.

CenTexSports
07-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Tony never dissed Albert. He talked about what a great player he was and even said that he is one of the most versatile players on the all star team. Since there could not be a tie, the game might have gone several extra innings and Tony needed at least one reserve for that possibility. He chose Albert and it is petty for Albert to be whinning about his role.

pirate4state
07-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by g$$
At least pinch hit in the 9th w/ men on & those guys had already batted in the game (Hudson, Rowand). He is after all one of the most feared sluggers in the game. He is not having "his" best year but he has set the bar awfully high. I wonder if he & Tony have a beef or something...weird deal to me.

Pujols is not my favorite, but I don't blame him here. His own mgr. dissed him on the big stage.

ITA. I was shocked when he didn't come in last night in those situations! :doh: Oh well...

rangerjim
07-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Poor guy - Had to travel all the way to San Fransisco, be treated like a pop star for a few days and then have to fly home - most likely first class. Oh yea - and he didn't have to pay for any of it - oh yea probably has a $50,000 bonus or more in his contract for making the All-Star team.

I for one am shedding no tears.............

Darren
07-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I think that he shouldn't have went public with his frustrations...

But I don't blame him for being upset. He is a competitor and wanted an opportunity to make a difference.

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
yeah, this isn't big news to me

pujols should've kept his mouth shut, especially since this is his worst year so far

Bull Butter
07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
yeah, this isn't big news to me

pujols should've kept his mouth shut, especially since this is his worst year so far

Hitting .310 with 16 HR and 52 RBI at the break

His worst year is the same as about 90% of the other MLB players BEST year.

JasperDog94
07-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Tony never dissed Albert. He talked about what a great player he was and even said that he is one of the most versatile players on the all star team. Since there could not be a tie, the game might have gone several extra innings and Tony needed at least one reserve for that possibility. He chose Albert and it is petty for Albert to be whinning about his role. Agreed.

sahen
07-11-2007, 07:16 PM
in my opinion larussa did the wrong thing...look at it from a baseball perspective, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs bases loaded and 1 run down....a base hit wins the game and you have the best hitter in the national league (if not all of baseball) over the past 5 years on the bench and he is your player for your team....winner gets to have homefield advantage in the world series (stupid rulebut its the truth)....larussa let the national league down there....all of us are used to pulling against Pujols, it wouldve been nice to cheer for him, i have nothing against the guy other than he is dang good and plays for the cardinals who as an astros fan i hate....he shouldve been at the plate...your supposed to do your best to win the game and in this situation larussa left his best option on the bench.....

charlesrixey
07-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Hitting .310 with 16 HR and 52 RBI at the break

His worst year is the same as about 90% of the other MLB players BEST year.

don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite non-pitchers, but i don't fault his manager for keeping him in reserve, nor do i feel particularly bad considering there's plenty of one or two-time all-stars that may never get a chance to play in the all-star game--he'll be there 6-9 more times

Txbroadcaster
07-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I personally like he seems to want to play enough in the game he gets mad that he was not used

and Tony reasoning was stupid...Why "save" a guy when he is the guy best suited to get you into extra innings.

How many times have we seen a bullpen blow a tie game because a manager wants to "save" his closer for IN CASE they take the lead. USe your best player at the moment.

sahen
07-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I personally like he seems to want to play enough in the game he gets mad that he was not used

and Tony reasoning was stupid...Why "save" a guy when he is the guy best suited to get you into extra innings.

How many times have we seen a bullpen blow a tie game because a manager wants to "save" his closer for IN CASE they take the lead. USe your best player at the moment.

exactly! w/ the players nowdays that dont even show up to the allstar game its nice to see a guy that wants to play....larussa was just dumb to not hit him there....y save a guy when all u need a basehit is to win the game...its not like they had a guy at 3rd and that was it w/ 2 outs....a basehit literally wins the game, y would u play for extra innings....