PDA

View Full Version : Richmond player dies while lifting weights

Antec
07-10-2007, 03:33 PM
RICHMOND, Texas -- A teenager was killed in a freak accident while lifting weights, the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Department announced Monday.

Deputies said Cameron Michael Shaub, 16, was lifting weights alone at his home when a 240-pound barbell fell on his throat on Friday.

Cameron's father found his son's lifeless 195-pound body on his weight bench.

"It's a terrible way to find your son," David Shaub said.

A preliminary autopsy showed Cameron died from asphyxiation due to compression of the larynx. He did not suffer a fractured or broken neck.

"I assume that probably the reason that he couldn't get it off was because it hit him right in the trachea and it just immediately cut off his oxygen supply," Shaub said.

Cameron played on Foster High School's varsity football team and worked out daily. Shaub said his son had been told to reduce the amount of weight he lifted while he was alone.

"It's just not worth it," Shaub said. "If you want to improve yourself, then you should be doing that with all the safeguards in place. That would be having a spotter."

Cameron's death has been a tough lesson for his teammates.

"You wish you had 50 like Cameron," Coach Mark Wiatrek said. "That's the one thing I'm going to do is to preach to them, 'Guys, just understand what can happen so be careful.'"

Shaub said he hopes to talk to Cameron's teammates about the dangers of weightlifting before football practice begins in August.

A visitation will be held Tuesday at the First Presbyterian Church from 7 to 9 p.m. His funeral is set for Wednesday at 11 a.m.

44INAROW
07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Horrible accident...... what a nightmare for the parents :(

Matthew328
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
You gotta have a spotter

txkmom
07-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I hate this happened. We tell all three of our kids over and over and over to work out with a bud, and this why. What a shame. I feel for him, his family, and his friends.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I nearly had this happen to me one day at a friend's house in Port Isabel.

I was doing some bench press and I tried to push the envelope and add some weight. My friend went to the restroom for some relief. While he was in the restroom, I tried to see if I could lift the weight just 1 rep. I couldn't get it all the way up, arms gave out, and it came down. I had moved myself up in the bench before my arms gave out so that the bar would come down on my chest instead of my neck. I held the bar on my chest below my neck until my friend came back and got the weight off me. It was a good thing he did WHEN he did, because I was beginning to struggle keeping the bar from rolling from my chest onto my neck.

My condolences to the young man's family. I hope this serves a lesson to all young men to ALWAYS work out with a buddy.

maestro
07-10-2007, 06:17 PM
such a horrible accident....

and it shows you how quickly something can happen...

everyone knows about having spotters.....

but how many of us use them when working out at home..

such a waste....

prayers for strength for the family..

DU_stud04
07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
even if you dont have a partner, just have people around. working out at the gym helps out when your trying to work heavier. i usually get someone to watch me when i start going past 3 plates.

people dont like working out with me :(

Gobbla2001
07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I had this happen once where my arms gave way... I just let go of one side and let the bar roll off of me...

Gobbla2001
07-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
let the bar roll off of me...

maybe not roll off, more like slide down one one side so I could get out from under it... it all happened so fast I can't remember exactly, but I did it by have one side of the bar on the floor...

g$$
07-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Tragic deal that can happen. My condolences go out to the family, school, & friends of this young kid.

kaorder1999
07-10-2007, 07:46 PM
what a horrible story!