PDA

View Full Version : Why you should have a spotter

burnet44
07-09-2007, 07:39 PM
RICHMOND, Texas -- A 16-year-old boy who was lifting weights alone at his home died when a barbell holding 240 pounds fell on his neck, officials said Monday.

A relative found Cameron Michael Schaub lying lifeless on his weight bench Friday, said the Fort Bend County Sheriff's office. A preliminary autopsy by the Galveston County Medical Examiners office showed Schaub apparently died of asphyxiation due to compression of the larynx.

The teenager's death appears to be accidental, said sheriff's spokeswoman

prayers to the family

DU_stud04
07-09-2007, 07:55 PM
wow, i cant even imagine what that must feel like. ive seen some of the cheaper barbell racks.... fall over with the slight touch. :(

DDBooger
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM
dude, i've been spent and done the same, except i did the SEE SAW and saved myself, did this just slip out of his hands and land on his throat?

DU_stud04
07-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
dude, i've been spent and done the same, except i did the SEE SAW and saved myself, did this just slip out of his hands and land on his throat? ive seen video of people slipping while using the death grip.....i think thats what its called....where you dont actually hold the bar, you make a fist and it kinda sits in your palm and knuckles

fireman1
07-09-2007, 10:59 PM
I saved one of my fire buddies before he was using that same grip that DUstud was talkin about and the weight just slipped from him i think it was 225lbs. it landed on his chest then was rolling to his neck as i was picking it up

smustangs
07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
i was spotting our fullback my sophmore year and he was using the suicide or death grip as its called and dropped it on his chest and i caught it about his chest but he still had some good marks. it was for powerlifting so we had to be back away

JasperDog94
07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
dude, i've been spent and done the same, except i did the SEE SAW and saved myself, did this just slip out of his hands and land on his throat? Nobody really knows since he was alone. They think it crushed his wind pipe.