PDA

View Full Version : Schools that no longer exist

Bull Butter
07-09-2007, 07:22 PM
In the team association thread, Antec brought up several High schools from the area SW of Houston that for one reason or another have closed down or consolidated with other schools. What are some others???

I know of several in the South Texas area.....

Smiley (Bantams)---merged with Nixon in the early 80's to form Nixon-Smiley

Mirando City (Panthers)--- closed down in the late 80's, kids now go to HS in Bruni

Pawnee (Indians)--- I think those kids go to school in Pettus or Kenedy

one for the old-timers.......
Sundeen (Eagles?)--- My dad's old annuals from Rockport always had them playing Sundeen. I asked him where that was and he said it was in the area that Carroll HS is located now, which in the 50's was nothing but farmland off Lexington Blvd. (which is now SPID)

Some others I'm aware of but dont know the story on why they closed.....
Houston Westchester( David Clyde's alma mater)
Beaumont Hebert (had real good football teams in the mid-70's)

burnet44
07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Houston Westchester( David Clyde's alma mater)
Beaumont Hebert (had real good football teams in the mid-70's)

Spring Branch HS closed the same year Westchester did
losing kids to the west ie Katy
I was there 3 years before the OLD Branch closed

shankbear
07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
West Orange Chiefs
Stark Tigers

Now the West Orange-Stark Mustangs.

bulldogbark
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
lets see in East Tx

Hebert
South Park
Stark
Orange
Beaumont charlton Pollard (sp)

I know their are more, just a little brain dead

some have combined or have became other named schools

burnet44
07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Beaumont Charlton Pollard

carter08
07-09-2007, 07:39 PM
The old Brazoria High School

Closed in like the 30s or something. Moved everyone to the Dub, where we stay to this day.

Bull Butter
07-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Asherton--- Closed sometime in the 1990's. Kids now go to JH and HS in Carrizo Springs

shankbear
07-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Beaumont High Purples

sahen
07-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Port Arthur Lincoln and Port Arthur Jefferson both very very good football schools merged into Port Arthur Memorial....

shankbear
07-09-2007, 08:30 PM
and Pt. Arthur Stephen F. Austin

Gobbla2001
07-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Victoria High and Victoria Stroman formed Victoria Memorial in 2000...

Jrs and Srs go to the old Vic High campus, Fish and Sophs go to the old Stroman campus...

but they may be breaking back up soon... no telling what'll happen then...

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

JR2004
07-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Phillips and East Mountain.

Both of these schools have some real good stories that I've read about them. I tried to possibly find some links about both, but I couldn't come up with anything. Maybe someone else here can find something about these two.

I believe there was a story somewhere out there about a game between Phillips and Plano when they played each other. Real good story about how Phillips was nearing the end as a school while Plano was on the way up.

JR2004
07-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Victoria High and Victoria Stroman formed Victoria Memorial in 2000...

Jrs and Srs go to the old Vic High campus, Fish and Sophs go to the old Stroman campus...

but they may be breaking back up soon... no telling what'll happen then...

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

Went to college with a guy who played at Stroman. I'm sure that'd make him happy if Stroman was brought back in some form.

Gobbla2001
07-09-2007, 08:40 PM
90% of Vic was against it happening in the first place, and it's been no secret since then that they don't like it... feel bad for the kids, they're going to school together and no one likes 'em together...

Stroman grad Jeremy Urban made some great/clutch catches for Seattle when he was there...

wildstangs
07-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

Both of these schools have some real good stories that I've read about them. I tried to possibly find some links about both, but I couldn't come up with anything. Maybe someone else here can find something about these two.

I believe there was a story somewhere out there about a game between Phillips and Plano when they played each other. Real good story about how Phillips was nearing the end as a school while Plano was on the way up.

The Phillips story you are talking about was from the Dallas Morning News several years ago. They had a GREAT special about high school football that year...Stories about Breckenridge, Abilene, and Waco - Good stuff.

YoePride05
07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Lott Lions

Manck
07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Lots of old East Texas oil towns from the 30s aren't there any more.

East Mountain
Greggton (now Pine Tree area)
Tons in Rusk County...London turned to West Rusk

There's got to be a hell of a lot of others with as many cities disappeared after the boom.

SWMustang
07-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Odessa Ector Eagles

wildstangs
07-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Lubbock Dunbar

Antec
07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Garwood Gars

Sheridan Broncos

Schulenburg Bishop Forest Rangers

Hungerford Brahmas

Crescent Blue Jays

Sugar Land Gators

Rosenberg-don't remember mascot

Richmond-don't remember mascot

Beasley Bees

Damon-Don't remember mascot

Wharton (Black School) Wolves

Blessing-Don't remember mascot

Missouri City-Don't remember mascot

Wallis Steers

Orchard Badgers

Eagle Lake Eagles

Old Dog
07-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Bertram Panthers became part of Burnet Consolidated

Adidas410s
07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Masonic Home

Phantom Stang
07-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Fort Worth I.M. Terrell Panthers

dogdad
07-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Masonic Home and Phillips were Texas football machines
they both won a lot of games

Phillips was a company town, Phillips Petroleum, and everyone worked there. They made sure they hired daddies with athletic sons too

Masonic Home was an orphanage, I think. Royse City got knocked out by them a couple of times in the 60s.....they were tough

burnet44
07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog

when I was in school they played Dhanis in the playoffs

CLASS B 1969
(no state champion)
BI-DISTRICT:
D'Hanis 33, Bertram 6

Some others

Sheridan

CLASS B
(no state champion)
BI-DISTRICT:
Sheridan 39, Chester 0

REGIONALS:
Sheridan 0, Montgomery 0

CLASS B
(no state champion)
BI-DISTRICT:
Hawkins 17, East Mountain 6

CLASS 2A
BI-DISTRICT:
Port Acres 7, Crockett 0

REGIONAL:
Needville 6, Port Acres 6

pantherpop
07-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Crosby combined two schools back in 1970. The Barrett Station school was called the Drew Dragons and the Crosby school was called the Crosby Buffaloes. After they integrated the schools they actually were still called the Buffaloes untill the next season and I remember they passed ballots around to all the high school kids to vote on and they renamed the team the Cougars. I was in the 9th grade and I wish I could remember what the other choices on the ballots were.

shankbear
07-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Orange also had the Wallace High Dragons.

olddawggreen
07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Bertram Panthers

Oatmeal ? (Not sure what they were, but they consolidated with Bertram.

burnet44
07-09-2007, 11:16 PM
We always said in HS that we were going to go to OU after we graduated.

Oatmeal University

LH Panther Mom
07-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
There's quite a history of the team in The Hungry Moose. We went to eat there for the first time a few months ago and really enjoyed reading the old articles and looking at all the memorabilia. The boys got quite a kick out of the uniforms hanging.

87 TIGER
07-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Sharp Mustangs closed in 50's it's now in the Rockdale school dist.

Matthew328
07-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Tons of PVIL schools could be listed..pretty much any decent sized town back in the day had two HS's one for the white kids and one for the black kids...

Most of the PVIL schools closed down only a few still remain like Houston and Dallas Madison, Dallas Lincoln. Houston Yates, Houston Wheatley

Corsicana Jackson is one small town HS that comes to mind...they were a juggernaut for quite a while

Another easy one to name is Wilmer-Hutchins

EagleFan1997
07-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by JR2004

Yeah I am to young to remeber Phillips but I know my great uncle use to coach at Phillips when Harold"Chesty"Walker was alive and coaching. Chesty also coached at Washington U. and was a scout for the Dallas Cowboys & New Orleans Saints. He was also the one that brought Tony Dorsett to play for the Cowboys. He is also in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame down in Waco

g$$
07-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Sweeny had 2 schools before integration. Carver was the Black school & won PVIL championships, thus spurring the integration in 1966. Star players like Elmo Wright (1st guy to end zone dance in college at Houston & pro w/ Chiefs) plus Clarence Williams (also later pro player), Louis Helm, etc.

Sweeny integrated in 1966 & merged the 2 schools. Sweeny had a good team returning with future CFL QB Jimmie Lindsey, Dickey Williams (Sam Houston Hall of Honor), Chandler, Snead, Earnhart, etc. Sweeny won the state title in 1966 & is regarded as one of the best teams ever in that classification.

RiverRat19
07-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Asherton--- Closed sometime in the 1990's. Kids now go to JH and HS in Carrizo Springs
I remember playing football in Asherton in what seemed like a converted rodeo arena when I was an underclassman in HS... We won but played badly and got the chewing of a lifetime the next day in film. I was glad to hear that they consolidated.

Johnny Utah
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Was going to say Lubbock Dunbar, but someone beat me to it. Also Carbon, just outside of Eastland.

burnet44
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Asherton Independent School District was a public school district based in the community of Asherton, Texas (USA).

The district existed until 1999, when it was ordered consolidated with Carrizo Springs schools by the Texas Education Agency to form the Carrizo Springs Consolidated Independent School District. The TEA determined that the Asherton ISD had not followed proper procedure in assessing school property taxes, the basis for its closure.

The Carrizo Springs district moved all students in grades 7-12 into its existing junior high and high schools, but left the Asherton school open to serve grades PreK-6; the Asherton school remains open as of 2007

LH Panther Mom
07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Lubbock Dunbar
Actually, it's still open, but converted to a Middle School at the start of the 1993 school year. :nerd: :nerd:

Johnny Utah
07-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Dunbar may still be open but they no longer play HS Varsity Sports. Used to be in the same district with Pampa, Borger, Canyon, etc....

18handicap
07-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Fluvanna HS outside of Snyder.

Johnny Utah
07-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Did you know that Nixon HS had a High School All American in basketball?? The very next year they consolidated with Smiley.

Bull Butter
07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Did you know that Nixon HS had a High School All American in basketball?? The very next year they consolidated with Smiley.

Carlton McKinney, I believe he played for SMU

Johnny Utah
07-10-2007, 11:22 AM
He went to Tulsa first, Nolan Richardson. When Nolan left for Arkansas, McKinny went to SMU. He is now the head bball coach in Nixon Smiley America.

BTEXDAD
07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Tons of PVIL schools could be listed..pretty much any decent sized town back in the day had two HS's one for the white kids and one for the black kids...

Most of the PVIL schools closed down only a few still remain like Houston and Dallas Madison, Dallas Lincoln. Houston Yates, Houston Wheatley

Corsicana Jackson is one small town HS that comes to mind...they were a juggernaut for quite a while

Another easy one to name is Wilmer-Hutchins

A brief story about Brenham, which had Pickard hs for blacks along with Brenham hs for whites. Consolidated for 67-68 school yr.
Cecil Cooper of Milwaukee Brewer and now AStro coaching fame played three yrs at Pickard and one at Brenham. Acknowledged as being in hall of honor (or whatever they call it) at both schools.

rangerjoe33
07-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I believe West Lamar in Paris, Tx became Paris Chisum.

3afan
07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
I believe West Lamar in Paris, Tx became Paris Chisum.

you sure about that?

I thought West Lamar HS was in Petty, about 8-10 mi. west of Paris on 82 ................. Chisum HS is on 286 on the south side of Paris

Antec
07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Smiley and Nixon before they consolidated

rangerjoe33
07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
you sure about that?

I thought West Lamar HS was in Petty, about 8-10 mi. west of Paris on 82 ................. Chisum HS is on 286 on the south side of Paris

Not 100% certain, a good family friend grew up and graduated at West Lamar, she told me they closed West Lamar and the kids that lived that way started going to Paris Chisum? Maybe some of them went to Paris North Lamar as well. So I guess West did not become Chisum, rather the kids started going to school at Chisum. I just remember playing Bogota Rivercrest and Paris Chism in basketball in getting waxed regularly, we were 2a at the time they were 1a.

g$$
07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
A brief story about Brenham, which had Pickard hs for blacks along with Brenham hs for whites. Consolidated for 67-68 school yr.
Cecil Cooper of Milwaukee Brewer and now AStro coaching fame played three yrs at Pickard and one at Brenham. Acknowledged as being in hall of honor (or whatever they call it) at both schools.

Cecil Cooper was a heck of a hitter (made some All Star teams too) & supposedly a really nice man. Played for Brewers & Red Sox. Still calls Brenham home even though he coaches with the Astros. Keeps a place in Katy I believe. Good stuff.

duckpluck
07-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Fidelity Manor High School (All Black school) intergrated into Galena Park High School.

duckpluck
07-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Beaumont French

luvhoops34
07-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
He went to Tulsa first, Nolan Richardson. When Nolan left for Arkansas, McKinny went to SMU. He is now the head bball coach in Nixon Smiley America.

Nixon Smiley America is not the same as Poth America....:D

luvhoops34
07-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by duckpluck
Beaumont French

My cousins went to school there...

Phantom Stang
07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Sweetwater Booker T Washington

olddawggreen
07-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
We always said in HS that we were going to go to OU after we graduated.

Oatmeal University

Ha! I remember that:)

olddawggreen
07-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
There's quite a history of the team in The Hungry Moose. We went to eat there for the first time a few months ago and really enjoyed reading the old articles and looking at all the memorabilia. The boys got quite a kick out of the uniforms hanging.

The old band uniform on the wall (maroon chaps and vest) is my brother's old uniform. He carried the tuba, but I dont think they would let him blow it.:) He was in the last graduating class in Bertram.:(