PDA

View Full Version : CBS is stupid

Emerson1
07-08-2007, 08:00 PM
They try to cancel "Jericho", and come up with a brilliant show called "Kid Nation". Where a bunch of preteens live in a little western town on their own for a few days. A show guaranteed to compete with Lost better than Jericho did :rolleyes:

Darren
07-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Never watched Jericho.... Any good?

Emerson1
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Yes, they just started showing reruns on CBS. You can watch every episode online.

shankbear
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
CBS has sucked for years. Their entertainment division and news division have slipped bigtime. Could it be the start of the demise of one of the dinosaurs of the big media powers?

Jericho is good.

Buccaneer
07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
CBS is the #1 network!

Txbroadcaster
07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
If I am not mistaken Jericho got a reprieve

Emerson1
07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If I am not mistaken Jericho got a reprieve
After the fans voiced out and created websites to bring it back.

Txbroadcaster
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
oh and dont blame CBS..blame the rating system and blame people for not watching the show...The networks want shows that are watched and can sell revenue....critical acclaim can only go so far.

TMer25
07-08-2007, 09:05 PM
7 episodes were ordered for next season, after that, it's all up in the air

Buccaneer
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Clay Aiken takes credit for saving CBS' canceled 'Jericho' drama

Clay Aiken apparently has more control over his Claymates than one would think.

"The show Jericho... I loved it. I started blogging about it on my fan site. It got canceled, and I blogged about how upset I was. I said, 'The Claymates can do anything. How do we get this show back on the air?'" Aiken told The Houston Chronicle on Tuesday.

Jericho -- a CBS drama centered on a post-nuclear town in middle America -- was canceled by the broadcast network when it announced its 2007-2008 primetime programming line-up in mid-May. However CBS was bombarded with emails and nuts -- a reference to a catchphrase in the show -- and on June 6 the network announced it had purchased seven new episodes of Jericho for broadcast as a mid-season replacement. So where did the grassroots campaign start?

"Honestly, within a week [the Claymates] had organized a campaign amongst Jericho fans to send nuts to CBS," Aiken told The Chronicle. "It kind of started in that place. And it's back on the air! It just blows my mind."

An unabashed fan of television, Aiken told The Chronicle he feels he'd be "great" on the tube and added he has "probably 15, 17 different shows" to pitch.

"One of the basic ones would just be going around and letting America tell their story. Everybody has a story, if you let them tell it," Aiken told The Chronicle.

However Aiken apparently hasn't forgotten his roots if he were to land a recurring role on television.

"I'd love to have a variety show," he told The Chronicle. "Like Andy Williams or Carol Burnett or Donny and Marie [Osmond]. I remember my mom watched the Mandrell sisters' show like it was some sort of religion."

And Aiken would probably have a good support base if he ever wanted to start his own religion. Apparently he could just call on the Claymates.

JasperDog94
07-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
However CBS was bombarded with emails and nuts -- a reference to a catchphrase in the show -- and on June 6 the network announced it had purchased seven new episodes of Jericho for broadcast as a mid-season replacement. I think the 50,000 pounds of nuts that CBS received did more than anything.

Also, is it true that anyone with a DVR or Tivo isn't counted in the rating system?

Emerson1
07-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think the 50,000 pounds of nuts that CBS received did more than anything.

Also, is it true that anyone with a DVR or Tivo isn't counted in the rating system?
Anyone without a nielsen box isn't counted in the rating system.

shankbear
07-09-2007, 10:31 AM
And then there is the Katie Couric mess going on. Talk about a bad investment.

JasperDog94
07-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Anyone without a nielsen box isn't counted in the rating system. That's what I don't understand. Can't they determine what everyone is watching that has satalite TV? Wouldn't that be a more representative sample of what people watch instead of the few that have a neilsen box?

JasperDog94
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
And then there is the Katie Couric mess going on. Talk about a bad investment. I guess I'm out of the loop. Are the ratings bad or something?

shankbear
07-09-2007, 10:36 AM
She is reported to have biotch slapped a staffer at CBS. Her ratings are in the toilet. The news division is getting killed.

She actually slapped the GUY on the arm. Much ado about nothing.

SWMustang
07-09-2007, 11:24 AM
oh and dont blame CBS..blame the rating system and blame people for not watching the show...The networks want shows that are watched and can sell revenue....critical acclaim can only go so far.

What's wrong with the rating system? Also, people with DVR's are counted in the ratings.

SWMustang
07-09-2007, 11:31 AM
That's what I don't understand. Can't they determine what everyone is watching that has satalite TV? Wouldn't that be a more representative sample of what people watch instead of the few that have a neilsen box?

They could determine what everyone is watching on TV, but you have to hook up metering equipment at every single home. Not everyone wants their viewing habits being monitored - big brother syndrome. The cost to the networks would be astronomical. The networks are fine with the sample size. You also have to account for people with regular analog cable in addition to rabbit ears. If your sample had 100% of everyone with satellite, the numbers would be a little skewed.

Think of the population as a big pot of stew. The sample is a ladle with the same consistency as the whole pot. Statistically, the nielsen sample is very accurate in terms of demographically representing everyone. Think about those gallup polls where they poll 1000 people. The national sample has 10,000 homes in the national sample.

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
What's wrong with the rating system? Also, people with DVR's are counted in the ratings.

The rating system is still to small of a sample size. Still uses the diary system..so only if they put in their book they recorded and watched a show...To many of the people fill their diaries out at the end of week, can they 100% be sure of every show they watched.

SWMustang
07-09-2007, 12:34 PM
The rating system is still to small of a sample size. Still uses the diary system..so only if they put in their book they recorded and watched a show...To many of the people fill their diaries out at the end of week, can they 100% be sure of every show they watched.

The diary system is not used in the 10,000 home national sample. There is a device called a people meter which looks like a remote control that the householders log into. There is electronic equipment that captures what is being used in addition to what family member is watching.

Now in a local sample Diaries are used. The top 60 markets in the country all have equipment in about 400 homes that tells us what channels were being viewed. 4 times a year they "sweep" the area with diaries and combine that with the data from the meters. That's where the term "sweeps" was coined.

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
The diary system is not used in the 10,000 home national sample. There is a device called a people meter which looks like a remote control that the householders log into. There is electronic equipment that captures what is being used in addition to what family member is watching.

Now in a local sample Diaries are used. The top 60 markets in the country all have equipment in about 400 homes that tells us what channels were being viewed. 4 times a year they "sweep" the area with diaries and combine that with the data from the meters. That's where the term "sweeps" was coined.

oh i know the sweeps system..got to right a term paper my sr year of college on whether it was good for TV or not

and 10,000 is not anywhere near a good sample size for the national sample using diaries meters or door to door

JasperDog94
07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Think about those gallup polls where they poll 1000 people. The national sample has 10,000 homes in the national sample. And he Gallop Poll has +or- 3% accuracy. Do you know how many people you're talking about when there could be up to a 6% swing in ratings?:eek:

SWMustang
07-09-2007, 01:00 PM
oh i know the sweeps system..got to right a term paper my sr year of college on whether it was good for TV or not

and 10,000 is not anywhere near a good sample size for the national sample using diaries meters or door to door

We'll have to agree to disagree on the sample size. Two things to keep in mind though 1) this is an area probability sample where participants are chosen by address and 2) the Media Ratings Council, which is largely comprised of network executives, have put their stamp of approval on the sample. Individual demographic characteristics are maintained within +/- 2 percent. How big of a sample do you think should be used and why?

SWMustang
07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
And he Gallop Poll has +or- 3% accuracy. Do you know how many people you're talking about when there could be up to a 6% swing in ratings?:eek:

Very important to read the fine print on some of these samples. That + or - three persent is referring to how sure they are that if they conducted the poll again with a new set of random numbers that they would get the same result. Within the poll, there are large disparities in the representation of certain demographic groups. For example if the US population is 12% hispanic, your poll should be pretty close to that. Those Gallup polls are frequently about half that number. They end up having to "weight" the results to make up for the shortage. Nothing wrong with weighting, but if your sample is only 1000 people (telephone frame based at that) I think your results are a little suspect.

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on the sample size. Two things to keep in mind though 1) this is an area probability sample where participants are chosen by address and 2) the Media Ratings Council, which is largely comprised of network executives, have put their stamp of approval on the sample. Individual demographic characteristics are maintained within +/- 2 percent. How big of a sample do you think should be used and why?

The Media Ratings Council approves it because no matter how flawed it might be, it is truly the only one that can at least give as you said a sample size.

A perfect sample size IMO and I say perfect because nothing truly is

Would be a % of the population that guarantees it hits every state. And break it down as BEST IT COULD along sex, race, marital status all that jazz...But I know that is a dream world concept

ONE thing they can do though

Stop the sweep week syndrome..Or keep them secret and change up the time of year, because it allows networks to skew their programming to load up at those times

Alot of networks played around with "half seasons" this past year..running stories and having a Fall Finale, then not coming back till Late Jan or Feb because the ratings info said people did not watch as much from Dec-Jan...And doing that hurt Jericho, Heros and other shows because people watched when they were on, but as soon as they were off the air with new episodes they were forgotten about.

So even know the sample size had been saying people would prefer the half season concept, it failed for alot of shows, Thus the sample did not truly represent the total audience

SWMustang
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
The Media Ratings Council approves it because no matter how flawed it might be, it is truly the only one that can at least give as you said a sample size.

A perfect sample size IMO and I say perfect because nothing truly is

Would be a % of the population that guarantees it hits every state. And break it down as BEST IT COULD along sex, race, marital status all that jazz...But I know that is a dream world concept

ONE thing they can do though

Stop the sweep week syndrome..Or keep them secret and change up the time of year, because it allows networks to skew their programming to load up at those times

Alot of networks played around with "half seasons" this past year..running stories and having a Fall Finale, then not coming back till Late Jan or Feb because the ratings info said people did not watch as much from Dec-Jan...And doing that hurt Jericho, Heros and other shows because people watched when they were on, but as soon as they were off the air with new episodes they were forgotten about.

So even know the sample size had been saying people would prefer the half season concept, it failed for alot of shows, Thus the sample did not truly represent the total audience

I agree about the sweeps week hype. I think sweeps will go away within the next 5 years. More of the local markets are being converted to include people meter info along with set meter info.