PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help in Sinton

Ranger354
07-07-2007, 11:20 PM
I know this is NOT the right place for this, but I'm in a bind. Anyone in Sinton still work on computer networking? My machine works fine, but can't seem to get the wife's machine to see the network. Anyone in town work on these things????????????

Any help would be appreciated.

Emerson1
07-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Did you try restarting the computer?

Don't go to a place and do it, unless you know someone who will do it for free. They will charge $80 to check a box. Someone here will know whats wrong anyways.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
yea, i have tried all of that. It is showing that it is connected and getting a signal from the router, but i am not able to get the net. i will run the wizzard this morning and see whats up. the router is showing activity or a signal to that port, but don't know why the computer is not getting it.

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Ranger354
yea, i have tried all of that. It is showing that it is connected and getting a signal from the router, but i am not able to get the net. i will run the wizzard this morning and see whats up. the router is showing activity or a signal to that port, but don't know why the computer is not getting it.

Here are my suggestions. If the windows firewall or any firewall on the system is enabled... disable it. Then try getting to the net. If no go... then try disabling the anti-virus on the machine temporarily.

Now just because you are getting a signal whether it is wired or wireless doesn't acutally mean you are transmitting packets. To test this, see if you can ping another machine on your network. If you aren't familiar with the ping process.. let me know. Verify you can access it by going into My Network Places --> entire network. Then select your workgroup and see if you can see all your machines. If not, the next thing I would do would be to check your cable by swapping it out with another known good cable. If problem persists disable and re-enable your NIC's or Wireless cards.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 11:59 AM
I read somewhere on the machine about "pinging it" but don't know how to do this.

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh... and I don't believe in telling someone I will go fix their problem for a fee. If I can walk someone through the process within reason I will do it. Sometimes after trying to help I do get people that ask me to fix it and they will pay me. I usually don't have time to do it though.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a friend that lives on the island that built my first two computers. i always offered to pay him when he came over to fix the bugs. don't ever have this much trouble, and don't mind the fee, just need it fixed so the wife will get off my a$$.

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I read somewhere on the machine about "pinging it" but don't know how to do this.

One more thing are you running Windows Vista?

Go to Start--->Run. In the run space type "CMD". The command prompt will come up. Once it does type "ping" and then the name of one of your other computers. If you get a reply then you should be able to see it in your network places. You can also skip doing the ping and see if you can access your machines through the "My Network Places".

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 12:04 PM
oh, and when I click the Explorer icon on the desktop, an AOL connection popup shows and asks if I want to connect. It used to just connect. why is it asking for and AOL dial up with a password. we do use AOL, but never get to it this way. should be able to just click the E and get the net.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
NO Vista.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 12:07 PM
where do I fined the name of MY computer?

oh and thanks for all of this btw.

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 12:10 PM
where do I fined the name of MY computer?

oh and thanks for all of this btw.

Right-Click "My Computer" icon-->properties. Click the "Computer Name" tab.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
going to send you an PM

thanks

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 12:14 PM
oh, and when I click the Explorer icon on the desktop, an AOL connection popup shows and asks if I want to connect. It used to just connect. why is it asking for and AOL dial up with a password. we do use AOL, but never get to it this way. should be able to just click the E and get the net.

Your probably clicking on the wrong program. Right-Click "My Network Places" and then choose "Explore". If AOL crap is coming up then you might have to remove that AOL junk from your machine if you are no longer using it. Here is my take on AOL.... their software is horrible and only causes your machine to slow down. Sure it works fine if you are using there stuff, but when you try to do other things not with AOL... guess what you start having problems. My advice... try to get rid of all their software off of your machine if you know how to do that.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 12:17 PM
by the looks of this my computer's name is dell. with a work group of MSHOME. I don't know why there is a . behind dell, but there is. do I just type in ping dell and hit enter????

thought it would be better to do all of this away from the board, but your mail box is full............

thanks again.

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 12:20 PM
by the looks of this my computer's name is dell. with a work group of MSHOME. I don't know why there is a . behind dell, but there is. do I just type in ping dell and hit enter????

thought it would be better to do all of this away from the board, but your mail box is full............

thanks again.

It was only 50% full, but I went ahead and cleared it all out.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-08-2007, 12:25 PM
it might be set to dial whenever a network connection is not present. should set to never dial a connection. good thing is have connection icon show on ur task bar on the bottom so u can right click on it to see if its sending and receiving packets.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 12:39 PM
tried changing the "connect to dial up" to "never connect" and restarting the machine.

Thanks for all the help. lets see what happens.

It is heck only knowing enough about these things to get yourself in trouble.

My one and only computer class was at Del Mar and the computer was as big as my house. we used punch cards back then and the thing was water cooled.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-08-2007, 12:43 PM
does it say limited or no connectivety ?

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 12:43 PM
tried changing the "connect to dial up" to "never connect" and restarting the machine.

Thanks for all the help. lets see what happens.

It is heck only knowing enough about these things to get yourself in trouble.

My one and only computer class was at Del Mar and the computer was as big as my house. we used punch cards back then and the thing was water cooled.

That is more than likely going to fix it. Thanks for the help SFIA

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 12:54 PM
but why should I have to turn off my NOrton and MY PC firewall.

I had turn one off but not the other. they are both off now and I am restarting the machine.

OK, under "Network Connections" it shows that I am connected to the Highspeed.

But I am not getting anything still.

Guess I need someone to come by and look at it.

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 01:00 PM
but why should I have to turn off my NOrton and MY PC firewall.

I had turn one off but not the other. they are both off now and I am restarting the machine.

OK, under "Network Connections" it shows that I am connected to the Highspeed.

But I am not getting anything still.

Guess I need someone to come by and look at it.

It was part of my troubleshooting process to see if they were affecting you getting connected to the internet.

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
If your still having the same problem turn them both back on.

99IHSMustang
07-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Ranger 354 I can help you out later or if someone wants to continue helping you out that is fine. I have some nasty discrete math to finish up today.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-08-2007, 01:05 PM
is this cable modem or DSL?

SintonFan_inAustin
07-08-2007, 01:08 PM
i going to Sinton in couple of hours i can pm u if i can look at it later today.

Ranger354
07-08-2007, 01:29 PM
SFA , I just sent u a PM.

thanks,

Ranger354
07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
just sending this back to the top.

Phil, 66, Either of You know of anyone here in Sinton that works on networking computers??????

SFA,

Seems like I have tried everything. The wife's computer is still showing to be "Connected" when I look under the Network connections icon.

Is there something between there and where is sees the network connection and actually "getting connected"?????

Maybe the computer thinks it is connected, but something internal has blown or burned and NOT making the connection?

DOn't you hate it when you know JUST enough about something to get in trouble...........

Thanks again for all the help.

Ranger354
07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
SFA,

I have gotten three emails that said you sent me private messages, but I don't show to have gotten any in my IN box in the last two days. Don't know what is up.

Wife's computer is in Portland getting worked on. Couldn't stand her wrath.................

SintonFan_inAustin
07-11-2007, 03:27 PM
SFA,

I have gotten three emails that said you sent me private messages, but I don't show to have gotten any in my IN box in the last two days. Don't know what is up.

Wife's computer is in Portland getting worked on. Couldn't stand her wrath................. i got one from u but it never displayed? did u try to call charter cable, they can check and make sure its not a configuation settings problem over the phone using ur cable.

Ranger354
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Computer folks say nothingn is wrong with it. Must be router or cable. Guess I will check that too.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Computer folks say nothingn is wrong with it. Must be router or cable. Guess I will check that too. its your settings. i will try tommorrow to go Sinton, my sister brought me her computer as it had a virus something like BDR got :) . Taking it back tommorrow after work and i can give u a call if your there.

Ranger354
07-12-2007, 07:55 AM
I will be working nights again tonight.

I took the router cable from my computer and plugged it into my wifes computer and still nothing. The router shows activity, the connection shows to be getting there when I look under "Network Connections". But still nothing.

I am about ready to take a claw hammer to this thing.

jason
07-12-2007, 08:10 AM
download and run this application

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

its called winsockfix

and ill come to fix it, but i charge $70/hr, with a 3 hour minimum, and $.45/mile travel.....

Ranger354
07-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Tried it and still a NO GO.

Got the squad from Portland coming to the house tomorrow. I was on the phone with them for about 30 miin. this morning. I have tried everything.

About ready to RE-Boot this computer out into the street...........

Thanks again for all the help SFA.

Ranger354
07-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Its Fixed!

One of the Techs at G-TTek came to the house this morning. Turns out that it was my network card. G-Ttek didn't charge me a house call fee since I had just taken it to their office and they said it was ok. (????) Anyway, the tech was nice and went to school in Libety Hill I think.

I showed him the DownLow and he said that he was ready for Football season to start also.

Thanks again SFA and everyone else for the help.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Its Fixed!

One of the Techs at G-TTek came to the house this morning. Turns out that it was my network card. G-Ttek didn't charge me a house call fee since I had just taken it to their office and they said it was ok. (????) Anyway, the tech was nice and went to school in Libety Hill I think.

I showed him the DownLow and he said that he was ready for Football season to start also.

Thanks again SFA and everyone else for the help. :) good of him to not charge u trip charge.(Liberty Hill folks are nice) Glad to hear its up and running.