PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Zindler

Bull Butter
07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Without a doubt the most famous newsman in Houston, probably in the state of Texas............ Still on the air despite being nearly 86.

Get well soon, Marvin!:thumbsup:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4946641.html

Channel 13's Marvin Zindler on the air despite cancer

By MIKE McDANIEL
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Profile: The loudest man on TV (archive) Legendary Houston newsman Marvin Zindler is suffering from pancreatic cancer.

Zindler, who turns 86 on Aug. 10, said in a report filed for Thursday's 6 p.m. newscast on KTRK (Channel 13) that the cancer has spread to his liver, calling it "a serious, serious problem."

But with 50 years in the news business, 35 at KTRK, Zindler vowed to continue his on-air reports, honoring a lifetime contract he's had with Channel 13 since 1988. He told viewers Thursday to look for his weekly "rat and roach" restaurant report on tonight's newscasts.

Zindler, wearing his signature white wig and blue sunglasses, spoke about being honest with his viewers, something he has done, he said, whenever he has had a health problem.

He said he was feeling bad over the weekend, enough so to prompt a visit to his regular hospital, Methodist, and his regular physician, Dr. John McKechnie.

"I thought it was my heart," said Zindler, who has endured heart bypass and prostate cancer operations, not to mention countless plastic surgeries.

Instead, McKechnie discovered the tumor. Zindler has already started chemotherapy.

"I don't want anybody to feel sorry for me, because I'm almost 86 years old," Zindler said, and he noted that many people don't live that long.

As for why he chose not to go the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, one of the world's best cancer hospitals, he admitted to some "superstition."

"All my health problems have been solved here at Methodist Hospital," said Zindler, who was surrounded by Methodist support staff. "I'm a little superstitious and afraid if I leave here, something serious might happen."

But he allowed that he would accept any help that he can get, a statement repeated by Channel 13. "We will support Marvin in his battle any way we can," the station said.

Zindler's career may be marked by odd appearances and "slime in the ice machine" slogans, but he's the reason the La Grange "chicken ranch" closed in 1974, and he's the inspiration behind the play and film The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

That gave him fame and a bully pulpit, and he has used both to the advantage of thousands of everyday people with everyday problems. He isn't a white-wigged dandy, either; no one has come out of a one-on-one with Zindler without realizing he is made of stern stuff.

"Marvin understands this current battle will be a tough one," said KTRK anchor Dave Ward.

It is the fourth most common cancer in men in the United States, and it has a habit of being aggressive. The five-year survival rate for pancreatic cancer is only 4 percent, according to the American Cancer Society.

Another beloved Houston newsman, Sylvan Rodriguez, died of pancreatic cancer in April 2000, after announcing on the air in December 1999 that he had the disease.

burnet44
07-07-2007, 12:27 AM
the guy is/was a great baton twirler like Rocket B ball player Calvin Murphy

Saw him at a Rice game one year with the MOB
wasnt bad

his signature line

Marrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrvin Zindler

Eyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Witness News

Bull Butter
07-07-2007, 12:43 AM
and...........

"SLIIIIIIIIMMMEE IN THE ICE MACHINE!!!"

If there's any slime in the Ice machines at Methodist Hospital, Marvin will find it.

Pudlugger
07-07-2007, 08:02 AM
God bless him. This is a heavy load to bear. I wish him well. I had heard about him as far away as California before I moved to La Grange in the early 90's.

burnet44
07-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Who played him in the movie?

zebrablue2
07-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Have a good weekend-- good golf-- good tennis-- or whatever
makes you happy.

Bull Butter
07-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Dom DeLuise played him in the movie

Phantom Stang
07-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
Who played him in the movie?

The name of the reporter in the movie was Melvin P. Thorpe, played by Dom Deluise.

olddawggreen
07-07-2007, 01:06 PM
"I'm a freind of Sheriff Jim":D

olddawggreen
07-07-2007, 01:06 PM

How many of you know what that means?:thinking:

44INAROW
07-08-2007, 02:56 PM
when we first got married and lived in Baytown for a short while - we watched him - I can still hear it "MARVIN ZINDLER.. EYE WITNESS NEWS"

CheerMom
07-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen

How many of you know what that means?:thinking:

I know what it means. Everyone around this area had an "I'm a friend of Sheriff Jim" bumper sticker on their vehicles. It made him a celebrity.

olddawggreen
07-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom
I know what it means. Everyone around this area had an "I'm a friend of Sheriff Jim" bumper sticker on their vehicles. It made him a celebrity.

Thats right! Marvin Zindler was one of the most hated people around La Grange back then. A lot of people thought he was sticking his nose into things that it didn't belong in. The Chicken Ranch had operated near La Grange for over 100 years and actually contributed to several non profit organizations around town (such as the Little League). People didn't like an outsider coming in and causing problems.

From what I remember, the last time Zindler came to town Sheriff Jim (who at the time had served as sheriff longer than anyone in Texas) swatted Zindler and knocked his toupe. off:eek: :eek: After that local people started putting bumper sticker's on their trucks that stated "I'm a freind of Sheriff Jim".:) :)

That all being said, prayers to Marvin on his current battle with cancer.

Bull Butter
07-09-2007, 10:05 AM
What many don't know is that it was John Hill, who was the Texas Attorney General at the time who asked Marvin to go in and "expose" what was going on in La Grange.

here's the story as told by Marvin and others involved........
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=stationinfo&id=3300910