PDA

View Full Version : Seven Wonders of the World

kepdawg
07-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Updated wonders of world

Great Wall, Colosseum, Machu Picchu lead poll

11:33 PM CDT on Thursday, July 5, 2007

Associated Press

GENEVA, Switzerland – The Great Wall of China, the Colosseum in Rome and Peru's Machu Picchu are leading 20 contenders to be among the new seven wonders of the world, as a massive poll draws to a close with votes already cast by more than 90 million people, organizers say.

As the voting deadline approaches today, the rankings can still change. Also in the top 10 are the Acropolis in Greece, Chichen Itza pyramid in Mexico, Eiffel Tower in Paris, Easter Island, Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil, Taj Mahal in India and Jordan's ancient city of Petra.

The winners will be announced Saturday in Lisbon, Portugal.

The Great Pyramids of Giza are the only surviving structures from the traditional list of seven wonders of the ancient world. That list was derived from lists compiled by ancient Greek observers.

The pyramids have been assured of their status in addition to the new seven wonders after indignant Egyptian officials said it was a disgrace that they had to compete.

The Statue of Liberty and Sydney Opera House have been sitting in the bottom 10 since the start. Also faring poorly are Russia's Kremlin and Britain's Stonehenge.

The campaign was begun in 1999 by Swiss adventurer Bernard Weber, with almost 200 nominations from around the world. The list of candidates was narrowed to 21 by the start of 2006, then Giza was taken out of the running when it was given an automatic spot.

mustang04
07-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Updated wonders of world

Great Wall, Colosseum, Machu Picchu lead poll

11:33 PM CDT on Thursday, July 5, 2007

Associated Press

GENEVA, Switzerland – The Great Wall of China, the Colosseum in Rome and Peru's Machu Picchu are leading 20 contenders to be among the new seven wonders of the world, as a massive poll draws to a close with votes already cast by more than 90 million people, organizers say.

As the voting deadline approaches today, the rankings can still change. Also in the top 10 are the Acropolis in Greece, Chichen Itza pyramid in Mexico, Eiffel Tower in Paris, Easter Island, Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil, Taj Mahal in India and Jordan's ancient city of Petra.

The winners will be announced Saturday in Lisbon, Portugal.

The Great Pyramids of Giza are the only surviving structures from the traditional list of seven wonders of the ancient world. That list was derived from lists compiled by ancient Greek observers.

The pyramids have been assured of their status in addition to the new seven wonders after indignant Egyptian officials said it was a disgrace that they had to compete.

The Statue of Liberty and Sydney Opera House have been sitting in the bottom 10 since the start. Also faring poorly are Russia's Kremlin and Britain's Stonehenge.

The campaign was begun in 1999 by Swiss adventurer Bernard Weber, with almost 200 nominations from around the world. The list of candidates was narrowed to 21 by the start of 2006, then Giza was taken out of the running when it was given an automatic spot.

i guess thats what that letter was i got from that Weber guy was back in 99'......i got some letter saying i had been nominated and stuff for "new wonders of the world" but i thought it was a prank so i trashed it...damn if i had only known, i might have made it to the top 10!!!

:D

JR2004
07-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Zahi Hawass is not a very happy camper when it comes to this vote and rightfully so.