PDA

View Full Version : Duncanville, Oak Hill meet in clash of hoops titans

kepdawg
07-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Duncanville, Oak Hill meet in clash of hoops titans

07:43 PM CDT on Thursday, July 5, 2007

By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News
kwhitmire@dallasnews.com

Two teams that finished No. 1 in separate national high school polls will meet when Duncanville and Virginia's Oak Hill Academy play Dec. 19 at SMU.

Duncanville coach Phil McNeely said the game could be combined with another marquee matchup or two. But few matchups could come close to the appeal of Duncanville and Oak Hill, which both claimed national championships earlier this year.

Duncanville went 39-0 and won the Class 5A boys state championship. Duncanville topped the final HoopsUSA.com rankings, which only includes teams that are members of state high school associations.

Oak Hill, which is not a member of any state association, was 40-1 last season and finished No. 1 in the USA Today Super 25 rankings and other polls. It was the seventh mythical title for the school located in Mouth of Wilson, Va.

"It's one of those games you're not supposed to win," McNeely said. "It kind of gives you a good gauge of where you are."

McNeely said Duncanville played Oak Hill once before, losing in a holiday tournament in the late 1980s. Oak Hill played in Dallas in December, defeating San Antonio Cornerstone in the Prime Time Tour event at Ellis Davis Fieldhouse.

Duncanville returns four of its top seven players from last season's team, including starting forwards Roger Franklin and Shawn Williams. Point guard Brian Talley also has starting experience and forward Kevin Butler was a key reserve.

Oak Hill is expected to be led by former North Crowley guard Willie Warren, who was ranked the No. 1 recruit in the state by TexasHoops.com. Warren announced last month he will transfer to Oak Hill for his senior season.

luvhoops34
07-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Oak Hill can have a great team when they can get players from all over the US. I hope Duncanville kicks their ass.:)

bobcat1
07-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Oak Hill can have a great team when they can get players from all over the US. I hope Duncanville kicks their ass.:)
Dang luvhoops tell us how you really feel about it. :p

kepdawg
07-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Dang luvhoops tell us how you really feel about it. :p

I think she wants Duncanville to win! Wait, scratch that! I think she wants Oak Hill to lose!

luvhoops34
07-05-2007, 10:16 PM
I've watched Oak Hill play before. They're good year in and year out. I just don't like them coming to Texas and playing one of our public schools and winning.:( Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so vindictive.:eek:

JR2004
07-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34

Duncanville can recruit with the best of em. They got themselves a pretty good recruit from Woodrow that actually went with them to the state tournament as the waterboy I believe. This despite having played the season at Woodrow and then making the move down there once his season ended.

<<"It's one of those games you're not supposed to win," McNeely said. "It kind of gives you a good gauge of where you are.">>

That quote from McNeely did make me laugh a little bit. He makes it sound like his guys are Sister Mary's School for the Athletically Challenged. The best player on either team will be suiting up for Duncanville when these two teams play.

Fal44
07-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Go Panthers, I have family who Live in duncanville...

g$$
07-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Public school vs. prep school. Not fair - but I hope Duncanville pulls the upset. Oak Hill recruits all over the country & most of them have academic issues. Check out Oak Hill's alumni...scary!

burnet44
07-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Famous alumni
Carmelo Anthony, played at Syracuse University; won the 2003 NCAA Championship; NBA star player for the Denver Nuggets

Steve Blake, played at the University of Maryland; NBA player for the Denver Nuggets; won the 2002 NCAA Championship

DeSagana Diop, NBA player for the Dallas Mavericks

Kevin Durant, (did not graduate (transferred to Montrose Christian School)) NBA player for the Seattle Supersonics; MVP of the 2006 McDonald's All American Game also the first freshman to win any national player of the year awards in the NCCA D1 and was the 2007 unanimous player of the year.

Ty Lawson, college basketball player at the University of North Carolina

Jeff McInnis, played at the University of North Carolina; NBA player for the Charlotte Bobcats

Ron Mercer, played at the University of Kentucky from 1995-1997; played for 7 NBA teams

Rajon Rondo, played at the University of Kentucky; NBA player for the Boston Celtics

Josh Smith, NBA player for the Atlanta Hawks

Jerry Stackhouse, played at the University of North Carolina; NBA player for the Dallas Mavericks

Stephen Jackson, NBA player for the Golden State Warriors

Marcus Williams, played at the University of Connecticut; NBA player for the New Jersey Nets

William Avery, former Duke University point guard, and former NBA player for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

DayShawn Wright, played at Syracuse University; #1 overall pick in the 2006 CBA draft

Billy Edelin, played at Syracuse University; won the 2003 NCAA Championship

Michael Beasley (did not graduate), transferred to Notre Dame Prep; 2006-07 #1 high school player in the nation by Rivals.com 2006-2007 McDonald's All-American game MVP.

Jamont Gordon, current standout player at Mississippi State University

Justin Gray, standout player at Wake Forest University.

Eric Devendorf, current player at Syracuse University and a 2006-07 All-Big East Honorable Mention selection

burnet44
07-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Oak Hill Academy is a non-military, Baptist-affiliated boarding school that provides college preparatory education for young men and women, grades 8-12. Set in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, our safe, nurturing environment combines structure with self-reliance, and discipline with discovery. Challenging academics, small class sizes, attentive staff, and a close-knit community are ideal for domestic and international students alike.

Since 1878, we have served students of all races, religions, nationalities, and levels of academic ability. Through a highly structured curriculum that focuses on accountability and self-discipline, we create for students the ideal conditions in which to succeed.

Our philosophy is based on four beliefs:

Deep down inside, all children are good.
Regardless of academic ability, every child is capable of success.
All children would rather succeed than fail.
Once a child gets a taste of success, he or she will want more.
Four simple beliefs. One dramatic result. A turning point in your child's life.
And, maybe, in yours.

burnet44
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
http://www.oak-hill.net/athletics/gold/images/Gold%20Team%20Roster.jpg

burnet44
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
http://www.oak-hill.net/athletics/gold/images/Gold%20Team%20Bios%20page%201.jpg