PDA

View Full Version : The Ten Big Schools that Won District Last Year and How they Fared

PPHSfan
06-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Below is a list of the Ten, count them Ten, schools that won their district and were also the largest school in their district. Next to the school is how they finished the season on the Data Poll Ranking.

2 Burnet
3 Forney
7 Sinton
11 Abiline Wylie
18 Wills Point
20 Graham
24 Bridge City
33 Gatesville
42 Mexia
143 Brownfield

Also: Bridge City, Gatesville, Mexia, and Brownfield all lost games during their title bid to D2 schools.

Draw you own conclusions.

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
06-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Good Research PPHSFan...

If you read my posts, I agree... The DI DII thing is meaningless...

exbccards76'smom
06-20-2003, 07:07 AM
I remember when only the 1st place team went to the playoffs. I don't even mind the second place team going to the playoffs. But now there is talk of letting the fourth place team go to the playoff round. Give me a break!!

Old Cardinal
06-20-2003, 11:31 AM
PPHS, remember when this all started I stated the the largest schools in the District placed either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, a very large part of the time. I still say that the remaining 165 schools with losing programs are predominately the smaller enrollment schools! I would say those 10 District winners did quite well, along with the others that placed 2nd and 3rd, that were the highest enrollment schools in the District! You guys just want to concentrate on the 10% of the non-largest school that did well in the playoff and forget about the other GIANT group of small schools that had losing seasons...Having studied that list-I would venture to say that group would have had a ball if they could have played in the Div. II bracketing! Also, Jasper won the District, but it was awarded to Newton because a 3rd team inelgible sub played two plays at the end of a game! Yes, some of these teams lost a game during the season, and of course it was not to a Div I enrollment club, there is only one per District. And some lost to eventual Div II clubs in PRESEASON...What do you expect, these teams to all go undefeated while 165 of the smaller enrollment clubs have losing or marginal seasons!.... You throw them all together into one bid for the State Championship and you will quickly find out just how many little fellows survive as compared to the high enrollment schools. THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE TO THIS ARGUMENT!

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

PPHSfan
06-20-2003, 12:22 PM
:) I still think you are using fuzzy math when you talk about the D1 schools. You want us to believe that the largest school in each individual district are the only 32 D1 schools in the state and that the remaining 175 schools are all D2, or as you like to call them small schools. The problem with your argument is that the 32 largest schools in each individual school district are NOT the 32 largest schools in the state. Here is an example; D1 Mexia won district 19 with an enrollment of 584 Students, however there are 89 schools in Texas that have a larger enrollment than Mexia. Seven more of the largest schools in the 32 Districts did not make the playoffs. Only 10 big schools won the district, 8 won second, and 6 placed third. That totals 24 of the 32 that managed a playoff spot. That is 24 of 96 places, not 24 of 32 places. The largest school only won 10 districts. 24 out of 96 is 25 percent of the playoff berths. Now tell me how you figure that if one of your elite 32 teams is the 90th largest school in the state and only 23 more of the largest schools in each district actually won a playoff berth, what do you do with the other 75 large schools?

I tell you what YOU do with them. YOU throw those 75 large school losers into your "small school" stew and try to spoil everyone's lunch. :D

You are a obviously a very intelligent person, but I fear that you may think that there are enough gullible folks on here that will buy into your banter. Playing on the incompetence of the general consensus may have gotten Clinton elected for a second term, but I do not believe it will work for YOU here.

But I challenge you to keep trying. :p

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

Old Cardinal
06-20-2003, 03:55 PM
I have never wavered from discussing anything but the 32 largest schools PER DISTRICT,that make the top 1-2-3 spots- except to note that the other 10% of high enrollment schools(that were edged out by a slightly larger megaschool in their District); do quite well....Sorry, but you have babbled about everything else but the subject that began this fiasco. If we would go to a one State Championship, you will see how many little schools survive! Look at the big picture- in the final four in Division I were Everman, Burnet , Jasper and Forney, and they were huge! I can assure you that ANY ONE of then could beat any Division II team, by post season time. One main reason is-- in the post season massive depth is a major factor!.... In Division II it was Bandera that was also one of the larger 3A schools. Sure you see the Celinas', Newtons', and some others that buck the statistics(they don't win State, but they do reach #1 ratings early in the season), and I compliment them, but that is the exception not the normal.....PPHS if I could just get you to understand that there are ONLY 32 school each year that play in the Division I Bracketing, I could rest in peace someday...And yes there are A FEW higher enrollment schools that did not make the final 3-team District cut to play in the Division I bracketing.

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

PPHSfan
06-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Old Card I will agree that there are only 32 schools in D1 as soon as you agree that there are only 64 teams in D2. When you do your math, you only want it one way. In your own words, there are 32 large schools against the other 175 small ones. When you do your fuzzy math averages, you use 32 as a denominator in your figures for the BIG schools, but you insist on using 175 as a denominator on the small schools. This is the point I was trying to make when I said that 1st 2nd and 3rd are the only thing that matter, but you want us to believe that 10 of 32 of your "elite" teams win district but the remaining spots come from a stable of 175 not 64. When you want to compare apples to apples we can talk. :D