PDA

View Full Version : Pudlugger

44INAROW
07-03-2007, 11:31 PM
You were talking about Bread and Butter pickles yesterday - - got me to thinking about my dearly departed daddy's "Hot, Sweet, Candied Pickles" He'd take one of those gigantic pickle jars full of them every 3 weeks or so to the teacher's lounge and they were a tradition at CHS for years... Anyway - they are simple to make.

Take an entire jar of large Dill Pickles (not Kosher, just plain Dill - the kind you buy at ball games or the movies) Cut them lengthways into "spears" then drain all the juice off. After you slice the pickles, put a layer of the pickle spears on the bottom of the jar, then put a cup of sugar on top of the spears and then a "toe" of peeled garlic (whole, don't cut it) and sprinkle some dried red pepper flakes on top, repeat the process with a layer pickle spears, cup of sugar, a garlic toe and dried red pepper flakes - until you fill the jar up - Don't add water or any juice - the pickles and sugar will produce it's own juice. Then cover the mouth of the jar with good Saran Wrap or Foil then put the lid on and close it as tight as possible. Take the jar and turn it UPSIDE DOWN and place it in the refrigerator for 3 days - then shake the jar and place it RIGHT SIDE UP - then 3 days later shake the jar and place it UPSIDE DOWN - repeat this 3 day routine for 21 days - on the 21st day - the pickles should be ready - they are really good - they are "hot and sweet" and in a thick juice. When you've eaten all the pickle spears - you can slice more pickles lengthwise and put those spears in the already "done" juice/syrup and let them sit for a week or so, and they are almost as good as the original ones. It's a tradition to serve the pickles at Booster Club now. We haven't tried Splenda, but I bet it would be fine.

Pudlugger
07-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey that sounds good, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks 44.

It got me thinking about Jalapeņo jam for some reason. Anybody have a good recipe for Jalapeņo Jam?

Cheers.:)