PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunters and Men

Pudlugger
07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I think my favorite movie scene is the start of "The Last of The Mohicans" where The Daniel Day Lewis character and his Mohican brother are running down a buck and kill it with a shot from a flintlock. That sums up what hunting means as it relates to manhood. Hunting is as central to the self identification with manhood as nothing else. So why am I disturbed by how many Texans hunt deer? Laying out deer feed for several months to bring the deer into the field then siting in a deer blind with a heater, cooler full of beer and a 30'06 with a scope and waiting for a deer to wander into site is not my idea of hunting. It is assassination. I prefer the bow hunter in camo or the open sight 30-30 model 94 in the hands of a hunter working silently through the thicket for a close in shot of a buck on the run. That is hunting and that defines manhood. I think that the whole industry and commercialization of hunting has been as harmful to the American male image as the New York Metrosexual. So what do you think?;)

BILLYFRED0000
07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I prefer bow hunting or hand gun hunting. In either case you have to stalk..... I like hand gun hunting a little better cuz you need a good fast load to stay on target and the 10 mill i perfect.
Big enought to hit hard and fast enough to stay on target up to a hundred yards or so...... and if a snake wanders by you can snap shot him without dropping your bow and reachin......:D

luvhoops34
07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm all for deer hunting if you need some meat for the freezer to feed your family. I can't see killing a deer just for the horns or because you want to kill something. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm a woman so what do I know.

Pudlugger
07-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I prefer bow hunting or hand gun hunting. In either case you have to stalk..... I like hand gun hunting a little better cuz you need a good fast load to stay on target and the 10 mill i perfect.
Big enought to hit hard and fast enough to stay on target up to a hundred yards or so...... and if a snake wanders by you can snap shot him without dropping your bow and reachin......:D

Yes, in either case the prey has some edge and it is a hunt. I am curious, the 10 mm was somewhat of a commercial flop when the S&W 40 came out despite its superior ballistics. The 10 mm Colt autos were awesome. Do you have one?

zebrablue2
07-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I never cared to sit in a stand. Love to dove hunt and fish small
ponds or lakes where I can walk and move. Lots of money made
in the hill country. When I was younger I hunted deer. As I have
gotten older, deer are just too pretty to kill. Good sport though,
the old fashion way is best.

DDBooger
07-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
I think my favorite movie scene is the start of "The Last of The Mohicans" where The Daniel Day Lewis character and his Mohican brother are running down a doe and kill it with an arrow. if i remember correctly hawkeye shoots the doe!

DDBooger
07-03-2007, 11:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEpEPzJmZm8
at 3:24 in he shoots the deer. figured i was right, I loved this movie and have watched it quite a few times.

BILLYFRED0000
07-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Yes, in either case the prey has some edge and it is a hunt. I am curious, the 10 mm was somewhat of a commercial flop when the S&W 40 came out despite its superior ballistics. The 10 mm Colt autos were awesome. Do you have one?

Had a couple of delta elite's. Nice gun. But the best shootin one was the glock 20. It was more accurate although it did not fit my had well. I fit the 1901's like a glove. But the glocks shoot straight. I think the 10 mill is a great load for hunting. It is a little stout for self defense. I like the short parabellum 45's. It is not accurate for more than 10 yards but at combat range it is hell on wheels and small enough to hide...

Pudlugger
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEpEPzJmZm8
at 3:24 in he shoots the deer. figured i was right, I loved this movie and have watched it quite a few times.

Thanks DD, I love that scene, and it was a flintlock that Hawkeye shot the buck with. I edited my post. I think I'll watch it tonight it's been some time since I last saw the movie and time to enjoy it all over again. Especially on this Day of Independence it is good to remember how things were for the Colonists and why they rebelled 19 years after this epic story occurred.

Have a great 4th and fly the flag!

Cheers :)

JasperDog94
07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
... but I'm a woman so what do I know. ...not much...

...JD94 crawls under the porch to avoid a beating... :cool:

JasperDog94
07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
It doesn't seem right to put out feeders for months in advance and then shoot the deer when they come to feed. That just seems wrong.

You want to kill a deer? Do it old school.

charlesrixey
07-04-2007, 09:58 AM
whatever happened to tracking down something?

sinton66
07-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I haven't hunted since I had a lens transplant to correct a cataract in my right eye about 15 years ago. But, when I did hunt, I'd usually hunt one of my brother in law's places out north of Robert Lee. I loved that place because if you wanted to hunt, the best way was to walk hunt the headers of the mesas. This particular place is almost totally unimproved land. Just a water tank and windmill. One "road" leading up to the top of the largest mesa goes up at about a 35 degree angle (and, watershed cuts in it demand you walk, no vehicles). Definitely got some good exercise on that place. Got some nice deer too.