PDA

View Full Version : Spelling question

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 01:41 PM
This probably isn't even correct grammar...but...

I just typed "Where's y'alls boat?" on another thread. The mozilla spell checker didn't like "y'alls".

How do you spell it, or is it even a word??

The spell check offered this: y'all s (with a space between the l and s):confused: :confused:

lepfan
07-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I just typed "Where's y'alls boat?" on another thread. The mozilla spell checker didn't like "y'alls".

The spell check offered this: y'all s (with a space between the l and s):confused: :confused: I am not sure if it is an official word(it is in OK/TX), but y'all is short for you all...so the -'- between the y and all is correct. (or at least it is in MY LITTLE WORLD)

luvhoops34
07-03-2007, 01:43 PM

The spell check offered this: y'all s (with a space between the l and s):confused: :confused:

There's a simple explanation for this problem. The spell checker was developed by a YANKEE....:eek:

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I am not sure if it is an official word, but y'all is short for you all...so the -'- between the y and all is correct. (or at least it is in MY LITTLE WORLD)

Yeah...I thought that was right, but I was trying to make y'all plural and it didn't like it!!

I guess y'all really is plural if you think about it.....but, "where's ya'll boat" doesn't sound right!!

kepdawg
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Try this next time:

your

Keith7
07-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah...I thought that was right, but I was trying to make y'all plural and it didn't like it!!

I guess y'all really is plural if you think about it.....but, "where's ya'll boat" doesn't sound right!!

the way you were using it, you were giving possession to y'all, not actually making it plural.. but none the less Mozilla spell check doesn't like y'all's either.. While living in california I learned just to substitute y'all with "you guys", or "your guy's" in this case try that out next time, Mozilla likes it better..

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
the way you were using it, you were giving possession to y'all, not actually making it plural.. but none the less Mozilla spell check doesn't like y'all's either.. While living in california I learned just to substitute y'all with "you guys", or "your guy's" in this case try that out next time, Mozilla likes it better..

Thanks, but no thanks!!

I will NEVER talk like a Californian if I can help it!

I will always say "y'alls" if the occasion warrants it!!

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Try this next time:

your

I'm from Texas!!;)

Keith7
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks, but no thanks!!

I will always say "y'alls" if the occasion warrants it!!

I'm not afraid to bust out the y'all in texas, but some occasions you have to sound more professional.. I guess the downlow wouldn't qualify for that

kepdawg
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm from Texas!!;)

And? :thinking:

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm not afraid to bust out the y'all in texas, but some occasions you have to sound more professional.. I guess the downlow wouldn't qualify for that

LOL!! I can't imagine any place in my life where I would have to sound more professional!

I would use "y'all or y'alls" without even giving it a second thought!!

I wouldn't have given it a second thought now if it hadn't been for that darn red dotted line!!:p :p

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 01:54 PM

I talk like one!!

I don't say "your" if I am addressing more than one person....I say "y'alls"!!:D

mustang04
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM

and maybe some of us like talking like a texan instead of sounding like everybody else in the US....:D

Keith7
07-03-2007, 02:23 PM
LOL!! I can't imagine any place in my life where I would have to sound more professional!

I would use "y'all or y'alls" without even giving it a second thought!!

I wouldn't have given it a second thought now if it hadn't been for that darn red dotted line!!:p :p

well in west Texas you can probably get away with it anywhere without anyone thinking twice about it

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 02:42 PM
well in west Texas you can probably get away with it anywhere without anyone thinking twice about it

What is THAT supposed to mean??

Keith7
07-03-2007, 02:44 PM
What is THAT supposed to mean??

umm umm :helpme:... that people in west texas are more laid back.. :p

Butkus
07-03-2007, 02:45 PM
umm umm :helpme:... that people in west texas are more laid back.. :p dang uppity city slickers. :mad:

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 02:45 PM
umm umm :helpme:... that people in west texas are more laid back.. :p

Nice save!!!:p

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
dang uppity city slickers. :mad:

At least we don't pretend to be something we're not.....huh Butkus???

Butkus
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
At least we don't pretend to be something we're not.....huh Butkus??? :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: nothin uppity bout old Butkus.:D

Phantom Stang
07-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Y'all's is the proper possessive of y'all.
Mozilla has a glitch in their program.
If anyone questions you on it, just tell 'em Phantom Stang said so!:p

mustang04
07-03-2007, 02:56 PM
yeah...thats why i like west texas

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

Woo hoo!!!!!

That was how I tried to spell it initially!!

Old Green
07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I am not sure if it is an official word(it is in OK/TX), but y'all is short for you all...so the -'- between the y and all is correct. (or at least it is in MY LITTLE WORLD) That's what my English teacher taught us.

Emerson1
07-03-2007, 05:07 PM
The spell checker on mozilla sucks, only because they dictionary is so small.

sinton66
07-03-2007, 08:34 PM

Are you sure about that? Usually the apostrophe goes BEHIND the S. Y'all is already plural, so the possessive should be y'alls'.

For Example: The plural of boy is boys. The plural possessive is boys', as in "Boys' locker room". Boy's would be a contraction of Boy is, as in "That boy's crazy".;)

Phantom Stang
07-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Are you sure about that? Usually the apostrophe goes BEHIND the S. Y'all is already plural, so the possessive should be y'alls'.

For Example: The plural of boy is boys. The plural possessive is boys', as in "Boys' locker room". Boy's would be a contraction of Boy is, as in "That boy's crazy".;)
If y'all is a real word, then yes I'm sure. Remember, "y'all" is a plural on it's own with no 's' required to make it one.

Here is a link to a page from the Merideth College website, dealing with plurals and possessives.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:mSru2OwtVgoJ:www.meredith.edu/grammar/plural.htm+men%27s+possessive&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

sinton66
07-03-2007, 09:35 PM
If y'all is a real word, then yes I'm sure. Remember, "y'all" is a plural on it's own with no 's' required to make it one.

Here is a link to a page from the Merideth College website, dealing with plurals and possessives.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:mSru2OwtVgoJ:www.meredith.edu/grammar/plural.htm+men%27s+possessive&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Hee hee, made you look!:D

Phantom Stang
07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Hee hee, made you look!:D
Well whoopty doo for you!!:p

:D

BILLYFRED0000
07-03-2007, 10:19 PM

But mom y'alls in this context is a possesive plural.

lepfan
07-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks, but no thanks!!

I will always say "y'alls" if the occasion warrants it!! Amen sista!!!! My students (up here) would always start snickering....then one day I asked them why...they said they just love listening to me talk and say Y'ALL.....

88bobcats
07-04-2007, 10:01 AM

Y'all is a contraction of "you all"; but, because you're asking about their boat, you're using a possessive form.

In my opinion, the correct, slang, possessive contraction is

y'all's

The apostrophe-s ('s) on the end shows that they own the boat.