PDA

View Full Version : Toll of Glory for Earl Campbell

Adidas410s
07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Heisman winner paying price for punishing running style

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
chipbrown@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN – While Tony Dorsett played with his kids and Archie Griffin and George Rogers played golf Friday at Barton Creek Resort, Earl Campbell was struggling to walk.

Wearing a burnt orange, Texas golf shirt, white knee-length shorts and new Nikes with a Longhorn logo, Campbell used a walker to inch down a window-lined hallway overlooking one of his favorite golf courses.

He took roughly six minutes to cover 40 yards – a distance he used to breeze through in less than five seconds as a punishing running back at Texas and during an eight-year, Hall of Fame career in the NFL, mostly with the Houston Oilers. Still wearing his trademark beard, now gray, he stands at a 45-degree angle, unable to straighten at his lower back. He can no longer straighten his knees, either.

When the walker becomes too much work, he uses a wheelchair that he travels with at all times. During a 40-minute interview with a few reporters on Friday, Campbell was totally lucid one second and struggling to recall names and prominent dates the next.

"The doctor says I'll be playing golf by October," Campbell said in eternal optimism, even though he hasn't swung a club in six years.

Campbell is being honored this weekend along with former Texas A&M running back John David Crow by the Heisman Winners Association. The event, sponsored by Triton Financial, has attracted more than 20 former Heisman Trophy winners to Austin to help raise funds for charity and to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Campbell's Heisman win (1977) and 50th anniversary of Crow's win (1957).

The subject of Campbell's health became a topic of discussion among the former NFL players gathered in Austin this weekend because of testimony before Congress on Tuesday by aging NFL retirees.

Those retirees told horror stories of endless surgery, dementia and even homelessness while fighting with the NFL for better pensions and health insurance. Retired NFL players receive health insurance for the first five years after their playing career and then are on their own, when insurance is often unaffordable.

The league and the players association said pensions are improving and that there's no need for Congress to step in.

"I stay focused and prayerful that I won't have to deal with the situation of Earl Campbell one day," said former Tennessee Titans and Cowboys running back Eddie George, who won the Heisman at Ohio State in 1995.

Fortunately for Campbell, he is in his 16th year as a special assistant to the athletic director at Texas, a job that pays him $50,000 a year and provides his health insurance.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds on Friday called Campbell "an important ambassador for the university."

"Thank God for the University of Texas," said Campbell, whose latest back surgery came on March 26 to remove bone spurs. He goes to physical therapy three days a week and regrets quitting on the physical therapy prescribed after previous back surgeries.

"They wanted me to lift some weights, and I told them I didn't know how to do that," Campbell said. "I never lifted weights when I played football. (Former Oilers coach) Bum Phillips took $10,000 from me because I didn't lift weights."

Close to home
For Dorsett, Griffin and Rogers, Campbell's physical condition hits close to home. They are contemporaries who shared a position known for collisions akin to car accidents. Dorsett, who won the Heisman at Pitt in 1976, is 53. Campbell and Griffin are 52. Rogers, the Heisman winner at South Carolina in 1980 before an eight-year NFL career, is 48.

They all talk about ailments that still bother them today. Dorsett, a Hall of Fame running for the Cowboys, temporarily lost feeling in his left arm a while back. Rogers can't raise his right arm above his shoulder.

"Earl's an example of what can happen playing that game," said Ohio State's Griffin, the only two-time Heisman winner (1974-75). "He's paying the price for that today. But Earl never brings attention to himself. He's not going to complain. He still has a great outlook and is still bigger than life."

It's obvious to everyone but Campbell that his physical condition, on the decline for years, is the direct result of his bullish running style. Campbell repeatedly led with his helmet when taking on defenders, raising the question of concussions in addition to the toll taken on his neck and back.

Campbell, however, maintains his physical condition is genetic.

"It's not because of football," Campbell said angrily when a reporter inferred otherwise. "The most serious injury I got from football was a broken finger and broken ribs."

Still a legend
A few of Campbell's business ventures have failed, but he remains a figurehead for Earl Campbell Meat Products. Campbell keeps an office near downtown Austin, where his Heisman Trophy is kept in a glass case.

Campbell has been known to show up at the Shoal Creek Saloon, a local bar and popular hangout among New Orleans Saints fans, where he will drink Budweisers with fans and sign baseball hats that read "20 – The Legend" for $20.

On Friday, he said he can't believe he hasn't been offered more endorsements in Austin over the years.

"With all the computer companies here, not one of those companies have said, 'Would you be interested in representing our company?' " Campbell said. He then asked one of the reporters to help him get a car deal with a BMW dealership.

"I need the biggest BMW they got, black and loaded," Campbell said.

Campbell covered a lot of topics Friday, including a car accident near his hometown of Tyler last Sunday, when he was run off the road by an 18-wheeler.

"Man was I lucky," said Campbell, who was uninjured in the wreck.

On Ricky Williams, Texas' only other Heisman winner who has fallen out of the NFL after repeated failed drug tests, Campbell said, "That's his family's fault, Texas' fault and mostly Ricky's fault. If he would have played for Darrell Royal, that stuff would have stopped. But we as a Heisman group should let Ricky know we still love him."

On Vince Young, who led Texas to the national title in 2005 and then skipped his final year of eligibility for the NFL, Campbell said, "Athletes are great when they get a degree."

Campbell said he would like to see the Heisman Trophy presentation ceremony move to Austin, where the former winners "can play golf" instead of "just sitting around in a cramped hotel drinking."

When Campbell mentioned the idea Friday to former Nebraska running back/receiver Johnny Rodgers, the 1972 Heisman winner, Rodgers chuckled and patted Campbell on the shoulder.

During Friday's interview, Campbell repeatedly called this year the "20th anniversary" of his Heisman win and continued to refer to NFL Players Association chief Gene Upshaw as "Art Shell" even after being corrected twice.

But he is absolutely beloved by his peers. Only they truly know what kind of punishment he handed out – and absorbed – on the field.

"Earl Campbell was my idol," Rogers said. "When I was a player, I tried to be just like him."

Best friends
Of all the Heisman winners, Campbell said he considers Dorsett his best friend because Dorsett calls on Campbell regularly.
Dorsett, who lives in Frisco, is a part owner of Hall of Fame Mortgage in Dallas and also has his own food company – Tony Dorsett Food Products, which makes precooked foods for the military. "I called Earl and told him to sell his meats to the military because they use sausage in meals just about every day," Dorsett said. "Earl told me he wasn't sure about it because he doesn't like to travel that much."

Having won the Heisman in back-to-back years, Dorsett and Campbell tried to outperform each other during their pro careers – a fact they learned after they retired.

"One time, I asked Earl, 'Why don't you let one man bring you down sometimes?' " Dorsett said. "He said, 'I got to get them. They're talking that noise.' "

When asked about that conversation Friday, Campbell said, "Tony had his style, I had my style."

Dorsett sounded like an excited little boy when naming several defenders Campbell threw around like rag dolls on highlight reels.

"Earl was the biggest, baddest player in the game," Dorsett said. "He was my Skoal brother. But no matter how big or strong you are, the game ultimately wins."

CONTRAST IN STYLES
Tony Dorsett and Earl Campbell won the Heisman Trophy in successive years. Campbell's body is showing the wear and tear of never shying away from contact. Dorsett still looks like he could play at age 53. Here's a look:
Player Yrs Car. Yds YPC TDs
Dorsett 12 2,936 12,739 4.3 77
Campbell 8 2,187 9,407 4.3 74

Best season: Dorsett, a four-time Pro Bowler, ran 342 times for 1,646 yards and four touchdowns in 1981. Campbell, a five-time Pro Bowler, ran 373 times for 1,934 yards and 13 TDs in 1980.

EARL CAMPBELL
College: Texas
NFL: Houston (1978-84), New Orleans (1984-85)
Hometown: Tyler

Notable: Nicknamed the Tyler Rose, Campbell is the sixth of 11 children. ... His father died when he was 11 years old. ... His mother, Ann, is 83 and still lives in the house in Tyler that Earl bought for her as an NFL rookie. ... Campbell was presented the Heisman Trophy in 1977 by O.J. Simpson and baseball legend Reggie Jackson. ... Campbell credits his wife, Reuchalle Reuna Smith, whom he met in ninth grade and married in 1980, with keeping him financially afloat. ... They have two sons, Christian, who ran track at the University of Houston, and Tyler, a running back at San Diego State. ... Campbell said he went through 20 to 25 tearaway jerseys per game at Texas. "I lost more yardage changing into new jerseys than anything else," he said.

Pmoney
07-03-2007, 10:16 AM
its sad that his body has just deteriated(sp?) like it has..

Ranger Mom
07-03-2007, 10:18 AM
During the State Track meet we walked over to the field.

My husband took a picture of me and the Earl Campbell statue......I think he is prouder of that picture than any pic we took the entire weekend!

Phil C
07-03-2007, 10:20 AM
He was a great pro player. I was a Houston Oiler fan but he was overused then and it shows today. Houston had a good defense and a good offensive line but they could never get a good passing attack or a good running support for Earl. If they had I think they could have really given the Steelers even more trouble than they did back then. Basically the Oilers had three offensive running plays and it was Earl to the Right, Earl up the Middle and Earl to the left. Can you imagine the rings he probably would have won if he had gone to Dallas or Pittsburgh or the Raiders just to name a few plus his longivity would have been increased and he probably wouldn't have suffered as he is now. It is a shame. Thank you Earl for everything. You deserved better.

burnet44
07-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I saw him a while back
He is a lot like Mchael Carter
Neither walked very well if at all
the toll of the NFL
none of us know what its like getting hit like that
over and over

The NFL needs to help the veteran playes as posted before
seeing Earl and Mike makes you realize
not everyone was ment to play on Sundays

they have given their bodies for the league
and have helped the league make tons of money

yes they have been paid
but they paid the price too

you see and hear of many NFL players dying early 50's
and having massive health problems
money and the doctors can only do so much

my mom always told me
"if you have your health you have everything"

a lot of truth in that

Mot'r Boat'r
07-03-2007, 10:46 AM
it really is a sad ordeal to see men who were once Giants in their time now become old and fragile:(

g$$
07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
One of my childhood heroes & I was lucky to meet him a couple of times. He was larger than life. It is sad that his body & it appears his mind have deteriorated to this point. That is crazy about the weight lifting.

The Tyler Rose is a state of Texas legend. Thanks for the memories Earl & hopefully you can find some peace to live a long & productive life. He brought fear into tacklers & it shows today.

(Phil C: You are right that the "Earlers" were pretty one-dimensional, but Pastorini could throw the ball to Kenny Burrough & Mike Barber among others. Earl was just that darn good & unstoppable. And they did lose repeatedly in the AFC Championship to a dynasty in the Steelers with many HOF on their roster. Nothing to be ashamed of & a great ride.)

DDBooger
07-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I went to his football camp my freshman and sophmore year up in San Marcos. took a pic with him and his heisman. that was a great week!

burnet44
07-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I went to his football camp my freshman and sophmore year up in San Marcos. took a pic with him and his heisman. that was a great week!

a very classy gentleman huh
Every time ive spoke to him he is always kind and soft spoken

yes a true legend

JR2004
07-03-2007, 08:18 PM
What is it going to take for Gene Upshaw, and those idiots who currently make up the board for the NFLPA, to finally do something meaningful for these veterans who have bodies that have been completely ravaged by the game? If not for guys like Campbell these selfish tools wouldn't be making the money they do now.

I guess it'll hit them one day when they're getting up there in the years and they need help and get brushed off like Johnny Unitas was.

g$$
07-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
What is it going to take for Gene Upshaw, and those idiots who currently make up the board for the NFLPA, to finally do something meaningful for these veterans who have bodies that have been completely ravaged by the game? If not for guys like Campbell these selfish tools wouldn't be making the money they do now.

I guess it'll hit them one day when they're getting up there in the years and they need help and get brushed off like Johnny Unitas was.

And to think Gene Upshaw was a great player too (OL, Raiders). And a Texan to boot. Just crazy their lack of compassion for guys who paved the way for $$$ business.

burnet44
07-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Gene is in the current players pocket
Its about money
the money he gets for the current players
its still a business
once you are gone you are on your own

He was an active member of the bargaining committee for the National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA) throughout the late 1970s and early 1980s. He led the NFLPA in its unsuccessful strike in 1987 and through years of anti-trust litigation against the league, including a brief period in which the NFLPA became a professional association rather than a union, that ended with the union's acceptance of a salary cap in return for free agency and an enhanced share of league revenues for the union's members. He remains the President of the Association.

In 2006 he alienated many retired players. 325 former AFL and NFL players receive minimal retirement benefits. When they attempted to have the league and the Association consider their plight, Upshaw responded: "I don't work for them. They are not union members and they have no vote."

In June, 2007, when asked by the Philadelphia Daily News about fellow Hall of Famer Joe DeLamielleure's critcism, Upshaw replied "I'm going to break his neck!"

g$$
07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
Gene is in the current players pocket
Its about money
the money he gets for the current players
its still a business
once you are gone you are on your own

He was an active member of the bargaining committee for the National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA) throughout the late 1970s and early 1980s. He led the NFLPA in its unsuccessful strike in 1987 and through years of anti-trust litigation against the league, including a brief period in which the NFLPA became a professional association rather than a union, that ended with the union's acceptance of a salary cap in return for free agency and an enhanced share of league revenues for the union's members. He remains the President of the Association.

In 2006 he alienated many retired players. 325 former AFL and NFL players receive minimal retirement benefits. When they attempted to have the league and the Association consider their plight, Upshaw responded: "I don't work for them. They are not union members and they have no vote."

In June, 2007, when asked by the Philadelphia Daily News about fellow Hall of Famer Joe DeLamielleure's critcism, Upshaw replied "I'm going to break his neck!"

You are right, & it is still wrong. Gene will get his due in the end. He has alienated his brethren & sold out.

burnet44
07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Date of birth August 15, 1945 (1945-08-15) (age 61)
Place of birth Robstown, Texas
Position(s) Offensive Guard
College Texas A&M - Kingsville
Common Draft 1967 / Round 1/ Pick 17

I played against Willie "Chuggy" Upshaw vs Blanco

Willie Clay Upshaw (b. April 27, 1957 in Blanco, TX) is a former American professional baseball player. He played for the Toronto Blue Jays (1978, 1980-1987) and Cleveland Indians (1988), both of Major League Baseball's American League. During his big league career, he played the positions first base, outfield and designated hitter.

Upshaw was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 5th round of the 1975 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. Following the 1977 season, he was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the Rule 5 Draft. Prior to the 1988 season, Upshaw's contract was purchased by the Cleveland Indians.

Willie is currently Major League Baseball's career leader in home runs and RBI's for players whose surname begins with the letter U.

Currently, he serves as the first base coach for the San Francisco Giants.

He is the cousin of NFL Hall of Famer Gene Upshaw and former NFL player Marvin Upshaw. In May 2007 his son Chad Upshaw signed a 3 year contract with the Carolina Panthers as a tight end.