PDA

View Full Version : 3a vs 5a

Football GOD
10-09-2003, 08:23 PM
CAN A 3A POWERHOUSE COMPETE AGAINST A 5A POWERHOUSE FOR four-quarters & win the ballgme?
for example:burnet vs. katy etc...... :mad:

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 08:25 PM
No...

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Oh, and........... No!

CentralTxFan
10-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Only if you level the playing field some...i.e. take away some of the 5A players to equal the number on the 3A team, then it is possible, but only possible.

ctownqb
10-09-2003, 08:38 PM
I definately agree with Gobbla2001. Asking that is like asking if a 3a team ranked say around 75 in state can play with Burnett if you are using that team to compare things.

xlr8tor
10-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Probably not. There might be a 3A team come along once every 30 years or so that could but even then it would be close. I suspect the '83 Daingerfield team could have hung with and possibly beat some of the 5A powerhouses that year. But it is unlikely. If you were talking about just a 5A team, and not a powerhouse, I'd say yes. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Burnet could beat certain 5A El Paso teams quite handily. But these are not powerhouses by any stretch. Just my take.

<small>[ October 09, 2003, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: xlr8tor ]</small>

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Yah, the thing about 5A powerhouse programs is that that some have over 150 VARSITY ALONE prospects, then they have to 'try-out' (thankfully I didn't have to do that in 3A)... So basically not only are your STARTERS gunna be the best, your 2nd and 3rd teamers are gunna be good...

Burnet would have a hard time with some of their 2nd and 3rd stringers (now that's just a few select 5A programs)...

<small>[ October 09, 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 08:45 PM
haha

jason
10-09-2003, 08:45 PM
CentralTxFan:
Only if you level the playing field some...i.e. take away some of the 5A players to equal the number on the 3A team, then it is possible, but only possible.NO

jason
10-09-2003, 08:46 PM
and NO...not even Burnet

maybe if you combine Burnet, Everman, and Forney and let them practice for a few months...then MAYBE they could compete with the Lufkins and Waco's of 5A

LT#71
10-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Well im a senior now at castleberry and my freshman year we beat arlington lamar pretty bad at their field and they are a 5a team

BrainDamage
10-09-2003, 09:23 PM
5a definitly would have an advantage with numbers but I like to see a 3a team beat bigger schools. Bigger schools=more prospects. Sometimes there is games that it comes down to the 2nd string guys having to play a lot to help out the starters by giving them a series to catch their breath.

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Arlington Lamar isn't a powerhouse... Isn't that the team who hasn't had a winning season in like 30 years?

xlr8tor
10-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Gobbla2001:
Arlington Lamar isn't a powerhouse... Isn't that the team who hasn't had a winning season in like 30 years?Arlington Lamar is a pretty good 5A team. They missed the playoffs in '01 for the first time in over 10 years. Guess you have to define powerhouse. Just my take.

LT#71
10-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Gobbla2001:
Arlington Lamar isn't a powerhouse... Isn't that the team who hasn't had a winning season in like 30 years?No actualy they were a pretty good team and they had to of had a winning season like four years ago cause they made the playoffs they year before we played them

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Is there another Arlington team that hasn't won in a long time? They're either Vikings or Volunteers, I forget...

xlr8tor
10-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Gobbla2001:
Is there another Arlington team that hasn't won in a long time? They're either Vikings or Volunteers, I forget...Arlington High, Lamar, Sam Houston, and Martin have all been to the playoffs in the past 5 years. You must be thinking of Arlington Bowie, who never has made the playoffs. Just my take.

jason
10-09-2003, 09:34 PM
i would consider arl lamar a very traditional power house...they are usually to 15...maybe not this year...but no 3A's could compete with them...

jason
10-09-2003, 09:35 PM
LT#71:
Well im a senior now at castleberry and my freshman year we beat arlington lamar pretty bad at their field and they are a 5a teamwas it a freshman game or a varsity game?

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Well they're the Vols, I used to know one of their posters (haven't seen him in a while) at another board who always mentioned they hadn't made the playoffs in a pretty long time or something...

LT#71
10-09-2003, 09:38 PM
well it was a freshman game i know that proably dosent mean crap to u but if u would of been there u would of seen how big of an upset it was. the score was 22-0 and they had like 5 players for everyone we had.

jason
10-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Gobbla2001:
Well they're the Vols, I used to know one of their posters (haven't seen him in a while) at another board who always mentioned they hadn't made the playoffs in a pretty long time or something...arl lamar VIKINGS...and i cant remember the last time they made the playoffs

u might be thinking of the arl bowie volunteers....i know cause they play at copperas cove this year and i was there... :D

jason
10-09-2003, 09:40 PM
LT#71:
well it was a freshman game i know that proably dosent mean crap to u but if u would of been there u would of seen how big of an upset it was. the score was 22-0 and they had like 5 players for everyone we had.i bet it was big for yall, we beat some high classed teams when i was a freshman (basketball)...BUT freshman games dont matter...varsity wise they win that matchup by 50...especially this year...

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Our freshmen (our school population is a bit over 700) beat Victoria Memorial's (population is 5,000) JV... But it might have been there B-team... That was a few years ago though...

LT#71
10-09-2003, 09:45 PM
it was big for us. our freshman year we won district and we only lost one district game to dallas pinkstons j.v so it really wasnt a loss cause we technically won cause it was their j.v cause they didnt have freshman team

jason
10-09-2003, 09:47 PM
yall lost to dallas pinkston?? lol

btw forney 60 pinkston 00 tonight

bhcajun
10-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Barbers Hill's J.V. beat Baytown Sterling's J.V. earlier this year pretty handily, 35-7 or something, but Sterling is no powerhouse

jason
10-09-2003, 09:59 PM
anything Freshman or JV doesnt count...

hey forneys 8th grade B team played ennis 8th grade team on monday...oohh

clydewr35
10-09-2003, 10:23 PM
a 3a team just cant compete at the same level as a 5a team. just like 1a power house cant compete at the same level as a 3a power house.

District303aPastPlayer
10-09-2003, 11:45 PM
honestly... i see no reason why victoria memorial isnt all over the 5A rankings... but then again.. you have to have talent when you have a super 5A high school...so i guess I answered my own question/post

Gobbla2001
10-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Hopefully it'll get better for Memorial, 303A... This year's senior class is the last class of the Victoria Stroman and Victoria High mix, so from now on they've all been Vipers their whole life... Maybe that might help?

They started off lookin' strong, they are playing some tough comp. though...

Pudlugger
10-10-2003, 05:20 AM
To answer your question the best 5a schools would consistantly win against the best 3a schools. It is all about talent pool size and depth at every position. A good example comes to mind in the 2000 season when evetual 4a champion Bay City and 3a champion La Grange squared off in the season opener. La Grange hung with the Black Cats for a couple of quarters but they just wore the Leps down winning 28-7 with the margin of victory coming mostly in the late second half. Interesting because from the Bay City squad 4 players are playing D1 now and from the La Grange team 2.

Tiger Turtle
10-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Sealy scrimmaged a couple of low-level 5A's during the 4-peat days and did pretty well. Otherwise, a top tier 3A team could compete and occasionally win against a low to middle class 5A, but not against a high quality 5A program on any sort of regular basis. The available talent pools are just too different. Are any 3A programs scheduling 5a's? I would think the big schools would have too much to lose.

GreatBigBurnetFan
10-10-2003, 07:38 AM
Let's talk skill players here. This summer in
7 on 7 Burnet beat 5 5A teams, including 2 from Katy. In the championship game, we did lose to Permian (5A) because of the numbers. We had 3 guys going both ways they had no players going both ways. Having to play 4 games in one day, did
hurt those 3 players. Quality of individuals, no
problem there, Burnet had them. Burnets starting
teams , both offense and defense are real quality.
Some of the non starters are also real quality.
But the entire bench, no .
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

Football Fan
10-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Well I went to Bellville up until I was a Freshmen and then to Spring. The main difference I saw was OL & depth. I was not used to seeing a OL avg 6'3 300lbs. Some of the guys were real big & BHS did not have many players like that. In 3A u have a varitey of players possibly playing both ways. I was going to start a CB as a Soph & split time a WB, then ended up playing LB at SHS my Jun & Sen yr & no where else. I believe a 3A can play w/5A schools but will lose 75% of the time.

KTownBalla
10-10-2003, 08:58 AM
3A schools...can compete wit 5A schools...they just might not have a chance to win.

Purely based on numbers...5A schools have a better "chance" of getting the superstars. Now if u were to ask could Burnet... Forney... Everman... Kennedale any of them beat the likes of Lufkin...South Lake Carroll, or even a 4A school like Ennis, maybe...they could compete but the outcome would most likely be determined in the second half since most 5A schools have the luxury of people not playing 2 ways.

That is the main reason 3A powerhouses cannot compete.

rholl
10-10-2003, 10:05 AM
I'm gonna have to be the lone opposition....yes I think a powerhouse 3a can beat a powerhouse 5a....ONCE!! Can a 3a team compete against a full 5a schedule....no!! I think one game straight up yes. Look at Marlin Ennis last yr and I think most everyone will agree Ennis is a team that could take on all 5a teams. The problem for the 3a teams lie in the numbers like everyone says but those numbers also relate to a whole season worth of competition not a one shot game!!!

spike
10-10-2003, 10:31 AM
I have coached at both and while I have seen some of the sub varsity teams that could be beaten by a 3a, but unfortunately for the 3a's you just don't have the numbers usually to compete with the 5a's. For example, Burnett could not beat North Shore. Not because Burnett does not have talented kids but because the North Shore kids are going to have more. The coaching aspect is also a factor. At the 5a level you have a lot more one side only coaches, ie. linebackers only, tackles only, o line only, etc. where at the 3a level you are going to have to coach more than one spot usually unless you are a coordinator.

I have seen some 3a schools though that could mow over some weaker 5a schools.

xlr8tor
10-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Tiger Turtle:
Sealy scrimmaged a couple of low-level 5A's during the 4-peat days and did pretty well. Otherwise, a top tier 3A team could compete and occasionally win against a low to middle class 5A, but not against a high quality 5A program on any sort of regular basis. The available talent pools are just too different. Are any 3A programs scheduling 5a's? I would think the big schools would have too much to lose.Good question (Are any 3A programs scheduling 5a's?). It still does happen and happened just last week. 3A Pecos scheduled and played 5A Lubbock High. Of course neither Pecos nor Lubbock High are considered powerhouses by most on either of their respective levels. And Lubbock High did win 44-12, but it does happen still occasionally. If there are any other 5A vs. 3A games speak up. I don't have a lot of respect, (some, but not a lot) for Pecos, but you gotta give them a little credit for scheduling a 5A team. Just my take.

3afan
10-10-2003, 01:59 PM
LT#71:
Well im a senior now at castleberry and my freshman year we beat arlington lamar pretty bad at their field and they are a 5a teamthen you probably played their freshman 'c' team or something like that .....

jason
10-10-2003, 02:01 PM
rholl:
I'm gonna have to be the lone opposition....yes I think a powerhouse 3a can beat a powerhouse 5a....ONCE!! Can a 3a team compete against a full 5a schedule....no!! I think one game straight up yes. Look at Marlin Ennis last yr and I think most everyone will agree Ennis is a team that could take on all 5a teams. The problem for the 3a teams lie in the numbers like everyone says but those numbers also relate to a whole season worth of competition not a one shot game!!!NO

whtfbplaya
10-10-2003, 03:12 PM
NO :p