PDA

View Full Version : TCU vs Texas this year

PhiI C
07-02-2007, 03:07 PM
We have to remember that this game is going to be close and rough. Remember TCU always plays their best against Texas and the best teams.

In 1961 Texas was on its' way to a national championship in football and were 27 point favorites over TCU. TCU did not have a good record but one has to rember just a few years earlier they were 8 - 3 and 8-2 teams.

TCU was a giant killer in 1961 even though they had a 3 - 5 - 2 record. They played great football. They had a good QB in Sonny Gibbs but it seemed when Gibbs played good the team played well and then against weaker opponents he would mess up with a fumble or interception and have a bad day and the team followed. In fact many consider them underachievors.

In the first game of the year TCU upset then 8th ranked Kansas 17 to 16. (Kansas was to lose 2 more games plus one tie that year.)

The next week they tied Ohio State 7 to 7 and this no doubt cost Ohio State the Natonal Championship as Ohio State finished with an 8 - 0 - 1 record. Gibbs led TCU to a late td to tie the game and made an interception of a sure td pass to save the game for the Horns.

Against Texas TCU scored a td on a flea picker pass from Gibbs to Buddy Isles. Texas great halfback James Saxon was knocked woosey early in the game by what many call was a cheap shot. He was later knocked out of the game. But UT had their chances getting inside the ten yard line three times and not scoring.

UT must be careful this year. Remember the upset of 1961.

Phantom Stang
07-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Go Frogs!!

pooch
07-02-2007, 05:09 PM
UT's 2A players are better than TCU's 2A players

luvhoops34
07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by pooch
UT's 2A players are better than TCU's 2A players

ROFL :D

Diocletian
07-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Horns by at least 50.

KTA
07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
nm I read that differently :D

charlesrixey
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
i think this will be a tight, low to mid-scoring game where the defenses dictate and one or two big plays will be all either team gets, and be the difference

TCU's defense is awesome, and has a good matchup in Texas

because of the Longhorn's uncertainty in the secondary, TCU will stay with them

two touchdown or less victory

27-17 UT

District303aPastPlayer
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm just rooting for Tommy Blake.

piratebg
07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I've been looking at getting tickets to a Horns home game this year. I really hope I can catch one. This is one of the games I looking at trying for.

g$$
07-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Horns by at least 50.

That is just stupid. This will be a good ballgame & TCU will put up a fight. TCU is a good, physical ballclub & very well-coached. If you take them lightly, an upset is possible. Might want to check out what TCU has been doing under Gary Patterson - like beating Baylor, Oklahoma, & Texas Tech in recent years. They play in a lesser league, yes, but they can play & usually have a chip on their shoulder too.

Texas wins a close one...24-17 over the Frogs in Austin.