PDA

View Full Version : If you want an iPhone, wait awhile.

Emerson1
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
January 18, 2007 - Apple was out to prove a point last week when the company chose to launch the iPhone at the same time as CES. Though the company was no doubt successful in proving that a single new iProduct could trump the collective offerings of the entire consumer electronics industry, the move was also a rather blatant slap in the face to journalists and the broader industry, a significant statement that you're either with Apple or against it. Today we've learned that competitors and press aren't the only people Apple doesn't mind thumbing its nose at--the company has no problem doing the same to its own fans.

iSuppli Corp, the long standing source for cost-of-production figures on Apple products, announced its estimates of iPhone production costs. While the two iPhone models will retail at $499 and $599 for the 4 and 8 GB versions, their actual costs of production will amount to no more than $245.83 and $280.83, respectively. The markup on each model, which falls just under 50%, is one of the most aggressive in recent CE history. A 2-year service contract with Cingular will also be required for the purchase. Unlike most service plans, the agreement obviously does not subsidize the hardware cost.

The fact that Apple can enforce such a premium on its products is a testament to quality and business sense. Nonetheless, there is significant room for markdowns after the launch frenzy has subsided. Combined with eventual contract-subsides, the future of a $100 iPhone is certainly possible should Apple and Cingular feel the need to bring in more customers. Somewhat like the RAZER, which progressed from high-end to low-end on a very steep curve, the iPhone may not last long as the ultra-premium phone of choice. As they say, flaunt it while you've got it; just be aware a $600 iPhone may not have a long status-symbol shelf life.

Adidas410s
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
comparing the iPhone to the RAZR is pretty stupid. To compare prices, compare the iPhone to the Treo and other PDA's. You will quickly see that the pricing doesn't decline all that fast over time.

Emerson1
07-02-2007, 01:45 PM
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/756/756454/iphonecost_1169150116.gif

mwynn05
07-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
comparing the iPhone to the RAZR is pretty stupid. To compare prices, compare the iPhone to the Treo and other PDA's. You will quickly see that the pricing doesn't decline all that fast over time. i dont read it as comparing the 2 products i read it as comparing how they were marketed and how they expect the price to change

pooch
07-02-2007, 02:20 PM
iphones on eBAy are all the way up to $1200

Adidas410s
07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by pooch
iphones on eBAy are all the way up to $1200

most of them are selling for within $50 of the store price after taxes.

SWMustang
07-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I think it's a little unfair to insinuate that since they're charging double what the materials cost that they are price gouging. There are a lot of other factors to consider also. With that being said, If they can sell 'em (and people will buy) at 599 dollars they will.

crzyjournalist03
07-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think it's a little unfair to insinuate that since they're charging double what the materials cost that they are price gouging. There are a lot of other factors to consider also. With that being said, If they can sell 'em (and people will buy) at 599 dollars they will.

they've calculated manufacturing costs...those numbers look perfectly legit to me!

SWMustang
07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
they've calculated manufacturing costs...those numbers look perfectly legit to me!

are there any labor costs? Any overhead for the factory that produces these?

crzyjournalist03
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
are there any labor costs? Any overhead for the factory that produces these?

yes...that's what the "manufacturing costs" category represents...they're estimating close to $16 per phone for labor and overhead...when you estimate the number of phones that they're mass producing, that number is just about right.

SWMustang
07-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
yes...that's what the "manufacturing costs" category represents...they're estimating close to $16 per phone for labor and overhead...when you estimate the number of phones that they're mass producing, that number is just about right.

yea, I saw that after I posted. Most margins on electronics aren't that great so I guess they're going to make money while they can. I'd like to see a similar chart for the Ipod for comparison's sake.

AP Panther Fan
07-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Someone has to pay for the research and development, not to mention the marketing blitz....lots of $$$$.