PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Bread and Butter Pickles

Pudlugger
07-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Mrs. Pudlugger and I just canned another 8 quarts of them from our garden. Emmmm emmmm good, especially with fresh bread and on tritip barbecue sandwiches with onions.

luvhoops34
07-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Mrs. Pudlugger and I just canned another 8 quarts of them from our garden. Emmmm emmmm good, especially with fresh bread and on tritip barbecue sandwiches with onions.

mmmm, that sounds good!:D

crzyjournalist03
07-01-2007, 09:21 PM
My wife had never heard of Bread and Butter pickles until about a month ago when I introduced them to her...now they're her absolute favorite pickle!!!

Angeleyes
07-01-2007, 09:23 PM
oh my gosh those r my favorites! ive only ever had them store bought but i bet homemade r 100 times better. . .mmmmmmmm yummy:D

crzyjournalist03
07-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Angeleyes
oh my gosh those r my favorites! ive only ever had them store bought but i bet homemade r 100 times better. . .mmmmmmmm yummy:D

I've never had homemade ones either, but I bet they get better with age!

Pudlugger
07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Our recipe uses a ton of sugar and they are almost like jam. I had some on fresh croissants and man were they ever good.

sinton66
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Man, my mom and grandmother used to make those and they are definitely good.

Pudlugger
07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Okay, here is the recipe:

Bread & Butter Pickles
Makes 10 pints
Ingredients
4 quarts sliced lemon cucumbers
1 ½ (+) cups sliced onions, go heavy
6 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup canning (or Kosher) salt
4 trays of ice cubes
5 cups white sugar
1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
1 ½ teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed
3-4 cups white vinegar
In a large tub or bowl, mix first 4 ingredients. Place the ice cubes on top of the cucumber mixture. Let stand for 3 hours. This procedure is to help make the pickles crisp.
After 3 hours, drain water – do not rinse. Take out all the garlic cloves (don’t worry if you miss one. It’s ok to pickle it. The garlic may turn a greenish blue in the pickling solution do to the acid in the vinegar).
In a large non-reactive kettle (stainless steel works well), mix next 5 ingredients. Stir occasionally and bring up to a rapid boil. Add the cucumber mixture. Bring back up to a boil. Put heat on low. Ladle quickly into hot, clean jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

luvhoops34
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Homemade bread and butter pickles are the absolute best! mmm, mmm, good!

Pudlugger
07-01-2007, 09:46 PM
FYI I got the cucumber plants at Walmart for 1.98 per 6 seedlings. Lemon, or pickle cucumbers, are shorter and get yellow when ripe unlike the long green ones in the supermarkets. You can get them at HEB too.

Antec
07-02-2007, 09:47 PM
My dad puts them up every year

They cant be beat-have a quart in the fridge now