PDA

View Full Version : Overtime Systems

HotDawg89
12-02-2002, 02:08 PM
There are some things that really peave me- I guess I just am not smart enough to figure out why they have our overtime system they way it is. Burnet played Marlin and won in overtime I am glad we won, don't get me wrong- but the thing that ticks me off is the way we did it. Did the best team really win? DId Marlin have a fair advantage? I think Burnet was the better team that night- but I've said it before- Burnet got lucky. Marlin was tough.

See, I'm thinking that if we were given a full 5th quarter to play, it would have been a more fair advantage to both teams.

Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind our current system? Something a little deeper than- "that's just the way we do it" would be appreciated.

PPHSfan
12-02-2002, 02:21 PM
I am not going to defend the system because I do not like it myself. However I will try and explain why it works.

1. Not having any type of overtime leaves the game in a tie, and everyone knows that a tie is like "Kissing your sister".

2. The extra quarter is flawed because the game can still end in a tie.

3. Sudden Death overtime is flawed because of the coin toss.

The new system is lame at best, but if you think about it, it really does give both teams the same opportunity.

If I were in charge, ties would be settled by having both teams do grass drills until only one man was left standing. :p

whtfbplaya
12-02-2002, 03:01 PM
Time and the fact that it could still end in a tie is why they don't play an extra quarter. I really think the system we have is the best possible.

Old Dog
12-02-2002, 03:32 PM
HotDawg89...remember 1991 and Burnet's 12-1-3 record. We tied Vernon, Marble Falls and Southlake Carroll on the way to State. We advanced on all three by penetrations. All three tying teams could claim a bit of the action and that stunk. I agree with PPHSfan that it is somewhat flawed, but at least it's NOT a tie. Burnet was on the losting end of a penetration loss back in the stone ages at the bi-district level and it sucked.

JasperDog94
12-02-2002, 04:43 PM
I actually like the overtime rules as they are now. Both teams get a chance to win it.

slpybear the bullfan
12-05-2002, 12:50 AM
What I like about it is the part where if both team's score two TDs in a row, the next time they score they HAVE to go for the 2pt conversion.

espn1
12-05-2002, 01:19 AM
Actually on one of the Burnet ties the penetrations were even also. We won by having more first downs.

whtfbplaya
12-05-2002, 03:31 PM
The ot system is great.

Old Dog
12-05-2002, 09:08 PM
I stand corrected espn1....one game was decided by first downs.......thanks

fred grunden
12-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Talked to an old Jasper Bulldog today and found out he played on the 1980 team that was undefeated but did not make the playoffs. Jasper tied Huntsville in the preseason and tied Hebert
(Beaumont) in district play. Hebert got to go to the playoffs due to one more first down. Penetrations were tied. Those were the days when only one team went to the playoffs from each district. Huntsville won state. We have always wondered what Jasper could have done in the playoffs. Now the 2nd and 3rd place team gets a chance at the championship. That's much better. The system we have now is not perfect, but it's much better than it used to be. Teams with big play offenses were at a disadvantage when it came to first downs deciding a winner.