PDA

View Full Version : Why is the doug flutie hail mary so great?

Emerson1
06-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Wasn't it just a regular season game with no real NC implications? I never got what the big deal is about a play that has happened hundreds of times since

sahen
06-30-2007, 09:41 PM
cause B.C. wasnt supposed to beat Miami....a david vs. goliath thing i believe.....

charlesrixey
06-30-2007, 09:56 PM
yep

flutie was the heisman winner, but nobody thought BC had a chance

it was kind of like boise state against oklahoma

that and how often does a high profile player get the miracle play like that?

Txbroadcaster
06-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
yep

flutie was the heisman winner, but nobody thought BC had a chance

it was kind of like boise state against oklahoma

Not true

BC was 10th that year while Miami was ranked 12th.

Miami was 8-2 going into that game and had just lost to MAryland in another crazy game

BC was 7-2 and ranked higher.

It was a non conference game..had no real bearings on the NC picture..and other than it being a classic play, it did nothing to the football scene that year

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-30-2007, 10:45 PM
while the statement that "that exact play has happened hundreds of times since" is true, if you watch the play, there was a butt-load of defenders and people around the receiver. it was a by chance throw and an even more chance of a catct, given the number of defenders in the vicinity. of course there have been plays just like it that have happened. but its the dynamics of that team and that specific rendition of the play that make it so great. with that said, i dont find it valuable. probably cause it wasnt Texas who made that play. if it were, my feelings toward it would likely be different. but since its not, im pretty much indifferent about the whole thing.

Keith7
06-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Kordell Stewart

Emerson1
06-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Why don't more people credit the receiver? He is the one that did all the work.

GreenMonster
07-01-2007, 12:13 AM
As I recall it was one of the year's premiere games that was on national television and was an absolute war of attrition. Seems like it was played on a holiday, not sure about that though. Also, it was early in the life of ESPN and they really made a big deal out of it.