PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Decommits from Longhorns

Ranger Mom
06-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Article Here (http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=34105)

This post should make BULL19 happy!!:D

setxsports
06-29-2007, 06:30 PM
http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=34105

carter08
06-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Who didn't know he would go to UNT.

Ranger Mom
06-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by **********
http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=34105

Is that a different one from the link I posted??

charlesrixey
06-29-2007, 06:34 PM
i wonder who the source could be?

it's not unprecedented, given the UT qb situation and the family ties, but i'll wait to see if it's legitimate

i will say that this would be HUGE news for the Eagles, even though it would probably mean no chance for one of our own bobcat alumni, Nathan Tune, who has impressed Dodge and may get to play a lot this year

kepdawg
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Is that a different one from the link I posted??

no

setxsports
:D Na we must have posted at the same time.

kepdawg
06-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i wonder who the source could be?

it's not unprecedented, given the UT qb situation and the family ties, but i'll wait to see if it's legitimate

i will say that this would be HUGE news for the Eagles, even though it would probably mean no chance for one of our own bobcat alumni, Nathan Tune, who has impressed Dodge and may get to play a lot this year

Riley wasn't going to play QB at UT anyway.

Ranger Mom
06-29-2007, 06:36 PM
:D Na we must have posted at the same time.

I don't see how since I started the thread and had the link in my initial post!:D :D

Are you a mind reader???:eek:

setxsports
06-29-2007, 06:36 PM
:kiss:

Ranger Mom
06-29-2007, 06:39 PM
:kiss:

LOL!! Just giving you a hard time!!!

Why you ask??

BECAUSE I CAN!!!:p :p

setxsports
06-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I've wondered how long it was going to take him to decide to play for his Dad.

kepdawg
06-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Now he just needs to bring little Nate with him!

charlesrixey
06-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I've wondered how long it was going to take him to decide to play for his Dad.

i think that once he realized how different this year is going to be without his dad there, he has probably pondered four years without him

JR2004
06-29-2007, 06:45 PM
No real loss here for UT.

charlesrixey
06-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Riley wasn't going to play QB at UT anyway.

i guarantee you he will be in the conversation at UNT if he indeed does transfer

charlesrixey
06-30-2007, 10:13 AM
any more news on this since yesterday?

KTA
06-30-2007, 10:48 AM
nope, but I think everybody is just waiting to hear from Tre Newton anytime now

kepdawg
06-30-2007, 10:53 AM
June 30, 2007
Riley Dodge: I'm playing for dad at UNT

Southlake Carroll QB Riley Dodge changed his mind and plans to play for his dad again. He’ll join Todd at North Texas in the spring after backing out of his oral commitment to Texas.

Riley, the reigning Class 5A offensive player of the year, informed me of his decision before boarding a cruise ship this morning for a family vacation. He broke the news to Mack Brown this week.

"It was probably the hardest phone call I ever made in my life," said Riley, who also talked to offensive coordinator Greg Davis. "But they were very cool about it and very nice. I really appreciated that.

"Coach Brown told me, 'You have the opportunity to play for your dad again. You need to hop all over it.'"

Riley made the decision for two reasons: family, first and foremost; and he believes UNT’s new coach will succeed at the college level after finishing with a 79-1 run at Carroll. NCAA rules forbidTodd from commenting on his son, who happens to be the biggest fish in an impressive nine-player, (non-binding) early commitment pool.

Rivals.com ranks Riley, who accounted for 5,303 yards and 67 TDs as a junior, as the state’s No. 58 recruit. He’s his dad’s first state top 100 commitment.

Riley had been sure that their December celebration at the Alamodome would mark the last time he was on his dad’s team. Carroll capped its third consecutive undefeated season in the most emotional game of ex-Longhorn QB Todd’s life. The 43-29 win over Austin Westlake came days after he was announced as UNT’s next coach. It was their only chance to win a state title as a father/son, coach/QB tandem.

(The nerves might have had something to do with Riley’s unforgettable upchuck-before-throwing-go-ahead-TD sequence.)

Riley has deep roots with Westlake, too, adding to the emotions. The Chaparrals’ stadium is named after his maternal grandfather, Ebbie Neptune, Westlake’s legendary former coach and athletic director.

The Dodges’ storybook tale took a sad twist when Neptune suffered a stroke soon after the title game. He is recovering in a facility in McKinney, a major factor in Riley’s decision to play for his dad in Denton.

“I’m very, very close to him,” Riley said, “and I wanted him to get a chance to see me play college football.”

Riley, who committed to UT after its February junior day, also realized how much he’d miss his dad on game days. And he didn’t want his mom, Elizabeth, to have to choose between watching her husband or son.

Todd didn’t recruit Riley after he made his commitment to UT. Riley told his dad earlier this month that his heart was leading him toward UNT, and his dad played devil’s advocate. They had several family discussions before Riley made a firm choice.

"It’s a great decision for the family," his mom said, "but Riley made the decision."

Riley said he has no doubt he made the right one. He’ll get to play the position he loves in the potent spread offense he grew up learning (and allowed Todd to make the rare jump from high school to Division I-A).

Texas recruited Riley as an athlete. He was told they would consider him at quarterback, but he understood he’d probably end up as a receiver/return man. He’ll be strictly at QB at North Texas.

"I believe I’m a quarterback," said Riley, who extended Carroll QBs’ streak to five straight state player of the year awards. "I think I can do it at the next level. I just went with my gut."

And he’s sticking with his blood.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 10:26 AM (E-mail this entry) | | Comments (0)

Riley (http://hs.beloblog.com/archives/2007/06/riley_dodge_im_playing_for_dad_at_unt.html#more)

charlesrixey
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM
thanks, kep!

that answered all my questions!

mwynn05
06-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Rivals will now feel required to knock a star off of Rileys ranking

charlesrixey
06-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05

i agree

i've seen it happen many times, mostly when recruits commit early or commit to weaker programs

District303aPastPlayer
06-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05

what star is he now?

Keith7
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
what star is he now?

3-star and 5.7 rr (out of 6.1)

No Show Jones
06-30-2007, 03:42 PM
With Colt, Sherrod, John, and possibly incoming freshmen from 2009 class Russell Shephard it is easy to see why.

DDBooger
06-30-2007, 03:44 PM
i don't think mack is too concerned, frees up a scholarship. no doubt he's a great player but UT is loaded with great players

CelinaCatFan
06-30-2007, 04:14 PM
If indeed Dodge signs with UNT, it will give them last year's 4A and 5A players of the year (Viazzi and Dodge). Not bad!

KTA
06-30-2007, 04:25 PM
With Colt, Sherrod, John, and possibly incoming freshmen from 2009 class Russell Shephard ] it is easy to see why.

Fingers crossed on this one, but im pretty sure were going to land him. Christian Michael seems to be a stud coming out of that class as well, seems like hes looking to be a horn as well

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=195431527

Also read some where that it was "his dream" to become a longhorn and if he was offered he would jump all over it

Phil C
07-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Best of luck to Riley! I hate to lose him but this news isn't really a surprise.

Phil C
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
It is a bitter pill to swollow when recruts decomit. Remember how sad it was when Ryan decided to go to LSU - no wait _________.

Emerson1
07-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
It is a bitter pill to swollow when recruts decomit. Remember how sad it was when Ryan decided to go to LSU - no wait _________.
Riley Dodge isn't in quite the same situation as Perriloux

g$$
07-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
June 30, 2007

Riley has deep roots with Westlake, too, adding to the emotions. The Chaparrals’ stadium is named after his maternal grandfather, Ebbie Neptune, Westlake’s legendary former coach and athletic director.

The Dodges’ storybook tale took a sad twist when Neptune suffered a stroke soon after the title game. He is recovering in a facility in McKinney, a major factor in Riley’s decision to play for his dad in Denton.

“I’m very, very close to him,” Riley said, “and I wanted him to get a chance to see me play college football.”

Riley, who committed to UT after its February junior day, also realized how much he’d miss his dad on game days. And he didn’t want his mom, Elizabeth, to have to choose between watching her husband or son.

[/URL]

Get well Ebbie Neptune. The ol' Sweeny boy & family friend has had a rough time of late. He's a fine man.

Good luck to Riley too - that is a tough decision to forgo Texas but he went with his gut. Who can blame him for that?