View Full Version : Motorcycle in My future, so which bike is the best

Fotbol
06-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Suzuki
Kawasaki
Honda
Ducati
Harley
Just to name a few, If I want a cruiser, or a crouch Rocket, which is the best performing bike, Speed, handling, breaking, and looks?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I think that Honda has pretty much every motocycle manufacturer beaten out there based on longevity of product (it's not wonder that Honda small engines are the best because they are in practically everything nowadays), but the only setback is the price. They're generally not up in the price range of Harley's, but they're a little more expensive than the other brands. Kawasaki/Suzuki are both quality motorcyles, at least in the form of crotch rockets.

big daddy russ
06-27-2007, 11:48 AM
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want it for.

Personally, I'm a cruiser guy. I want to hop on my bike and take a several-hour cruise just about every day without getting beat to hell. My roommate, on the other hand, is definitely a sport bike kind of guy.

As far as cruisers go, Harleys are beautiful bikes, but require a lot of TLC. The new Indians are the same, require less upkeep, and are just as beautiful, but are a little on the pricey side. The best overall value in a cruiser is probably Victory. They're American made, great quality bikes, and look good.

I don't have anything personal against Japanese bikes (I'm actually thinking of getting a Yamaha V-Star), but they definitely look cheesier than the American made cruisers. The way the oil pan sits, the way they don't showcase the engine like American bike companies, they look more like a mode of transportation than a machine. But they are great bikes and last forever.

As far as cruisers, it also depends on how much riding you're going to do there. For example, if you're not going to ride more than an hour a day, check out the "bar bikes." I love the long, lean look of the Wide Glide, but it's probably not something I'd buy unless I already had something else to get me around. Not that you can't take it on a poker run, it's just not as comfortable as the bigger bikes-- bikes like the Heritage Softtail and the Road Kings. Those bikes are comfy as hell.

If you want a little more speed, though, go with a sport bike. Personally, I love the way Yamahas look. But remember, even a 600 is a VERY dangerous bike. My roommate used to race motorcross professionally (250 pro) and has the scars to prove it-- and even he's scared of bikes. He's already laid down a Yamaha R1 going 130 mph (lucky to survive that one... only got road rash) and just this May ran his R6 into a car that cut him off back in College Station. Both him and the bike were OK, and he still has it, but make sure you go through the motions slowly if you're planning on getting a crotch rocket.

I honestly don't know how much riding experience you have, and I don't mean to make any assumptions, just warning you in case you don't have much experience. If you're an inexperienced rider who wants to go the sport bike route, I'd actually recommend going with a bike like a Harley Sportster (a sporty cruiser), a Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500 (smaller crotch rocket... is still fast), a Norton/Triumph (cafe racers), or a Kawasaki KLR 650 (a street legal trail bike) and moving up from there in a year or two.

But back to the topic, my theory reverses for sport bikes. American bikes look like ass while the Japs look good. Also, I love Ducatis, but I don't know how much you're looking to spend. And for the same price you could get a better-looking bike with similar performance for less money. The Suzuki GSX-R 1300 (aka the Hayabusa) is the fastest bike in production (at least I think it still is), but doesn't handle as well as, say, a 600.

A mid-size sport bike is probably more fun than the biggest of the big boys, but won't go quite as fast (and by not quite as fast, I mean doing the quarter mile in ten and a half seconds at 150 mph... faster than a Dodge Viper, Lamborghini Murcielago, or a McLaren F1... about the same speed as that new Bugatti Veryon 1000 hp supercar).

There's also another category called a sport touring bike. Kind of a hybrid of a touring bike (has more comfort than a crotch rocket) and a crotch rocket (a sportier look and feel from a cruiser... also typically faster). This is where you'll find the BMW bikes, the Yamaha FJR's, etc.

It all depends on what you want, man.

Oh, and here are my lists for the best-looking bikes. Completely based on looks and nothing but looks.

CRUISERS
1. Indian
2. Harley
3. Victory
4. Triumph (I forgot to mention these earlier... they're in the style of the old cafe racers... bad ass bikes)
5. Norton (another cafe racer... don't know if they still make them or not)

-huge gap here-

6. Yamaha
7. Honda
8. Doesn't really matter after this

CROTCH ROCKETS
1. Yamaha
2. Kawasaki
3. Aprilia
4. Honda
5. Suzuki

-huge gap here-

6. Laverda (not a big fan of naked bikes except for the cafe racers... they have a different look... don't even know if they still make these bikes)
7. Buell

SPORT TOURING (I'm not a big fan, but just because they're not my cup of tea... They may be perfect for you)
1. BMW
2. Yamaha
3. Kawasaki
4. Honda

There are some brands to look over and my personal opinions. Take it all with a grain of salt, check out your options for what you want, and let us know when you get it. Bikes are a lot of fun even if you wind up with a moped.

Chief Woodman
06-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I used to ride bikes. After 29 years of working on the Fire department however my opinon has changed. The best motorcycle for you is the one you only look at and do not drive. If you choose to drive or ride please have a high tolerance for pain and good healthcare insurance. Just my $.02

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda F6 Valkyrie

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/lg+2003_honda_valkyrie_1500_f6+front_side_view

Looks and power to boot, Harley can't match it.

big daddy russ
06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I think that Honda has pretty much every motocycle manufacturer beaten out there based on longevity of product (it's not wonder that Honda small engines are the best because they are in practically everything nowadays), but the only setback is the price. They're generally not up in the price range of Harley's, but they're a little more expensive than the other brands. Kawasaki/Suzuki are both quality motorcyles, at least in the form of crotch rockets.
Reliability has only been an issue with Indians and Harleys as of late. Indians aren't bad bikes, they just have some knick-knack problems here and there. Harleys require a little more upkeep, but I'd still buy one because of the name and the way they look.

Basically, Hondas have just garnered an outstanding reputation for all-around reliability, and while they're great bikes, their reputation is better than their real-life track record. It's spilled over to cars and you can also see it with Toyotas.

Buying a Honda bike versus a Victory or Suzuki is just like buying a Toyota Tundra vs. buying a GMC Sierra. If you look at the actual owner reliability ratings (based on things replaced, the cost of repairs, number of times they go in, etc), they're neck-and-neck in reliability. Personally, I own a GMC Sierra and have never had one problem with it. It has almost 90k miles on it and I plan on putting another 200k before I get rid of it.

All of my family's vehicles (except my sister's Isuzu Rodeo) have been great and we average anywhere from 25k to 35k miles a year. And we keep our cars for a long time. My brother (the member of our family who drives the least) has a 2002 Ford F150 with 85k miles and it's never had a major problem. My old 1990 Suburban is a single-family-owned vehicle with 300k miles and has only had a new tranny, rear end, two alternators, one starter, and a water pump.

It's the same with bikes. Honda gets props for their reliability, but that Victory, Triumph, or Yamaha is every bit as reliable.

LH Panther Mom
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Is "crotch rocket" supposed to be a good thing? :confused:

Gobbla2001
06-27-2007, 12:15 PM
just get a BMX or Mongoose and put a go-cart engine on it...

Gobbla2001
06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Is "crotch rocket" supposed to be a good thing? :confused:
the bike takes off like a rocket, and if you're on the bike it's under your crotch...

Emerson1
06-27-2007, 12:20 PM
http://www.orangecountychoppers.com/occ/index.html

lepfan
06-27-2007, 12:25 PM
My hubby just bought a Yamaha Roadliner 1900....and then called and told me....grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Old Green
06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
No one bike is best for everyone. Honda's are good bike's and it all depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

I personally like Harley's. I own three of them. I like the 2005 Ultra Classic. I have put 31000 miles on it since April 2005. If you want to tour this is the bike to have. Air ride suspension, am/fm Radio, Xm, CD, MP3 player, CB, and intercom for the Misses and electronic cruise control. If you into traveling a lot buy it.

burnet44
06-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
I used to ride bikes. After 29 years of working on the Fire department however my opinon has changed. The best motorcycle for you is the one you only look at and do not drive. If you choose to drive or ride please have a high tolerance for pain and good healthcare insurance. Just my $.02

excellent advise

mustang04
06-27-2007, 12:54 PM
my bike gets nearly unlimted miles to the gallon, has VERY GOOD stability, and is very user friendly

this is what i pick up girls with....
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6293/tricycleae5.jpg

pooch
06-27-2007, 02:18 PM
what kind of warranty do those Indian and Harley bikes have?

Old Green
06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by pooch
what kind of warranty do those Indian and Harley bikes have? Harley's come with a 2 year warranty with the option to buy extended coverage.

Indian is out of business again I read somewhere.

Fotbol
06-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the advice and the spelling of crotch rocket, I won't be doing any stunts or X-Games shat, that's for sure and I won't be racing, or poppin any wheelies, just recreational, and a ride to work occassionally!

big daddy russ
06-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Indian is out of business again I read somewhere.
Really? It's a sad day for me. I think those bikes are absolutely beautiful.

Seems like they just can't stay afloat to save their lives.

lostaussie
06-27-2007, 06:00 PM
i'm kinda partial to yamaha.............everybody bye one so i can get a check:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Really? It's a sad day for me. I think those bikes are absolutely beautiful.

Seems like they just can't stay afloat to save their lives.

My uncle has an Indian, and it's a good looking bike, but he has spent a substantial amount of money on mechanical repairs....

Tx Challenge
06-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Not a big fan of the Indians personally. I have a friend that has one, and he also spends a ton on repairs.

Have owned a couple of Harleys. A Fatboy and the last one was Heritage softail classic. Both were trouble free. The Heritage was by far my favorite.

Have never ridden a sport bike, never had an interest. I dont see a bike in my future but if I were to buy again, I think I would go with a Big Dog. Love those!

The fun of owning a bike is doing all the custom things to make it 1 of a kind.