PDA

View Full Version : A&M at Miami?

Gsquared
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Im a BIG Texas fan but I am really interested to see how this one pans out. I think it is great for the aggie program to schedule this game. I dont think A&M is going to be able to handle the speed of the Hurricane defense and playing them in the Orange Bowl is a death sentance but I hope they find a way to stay in the game for 4 quarters. Go Ags!

Phil C
06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Not at all! The Ags have the advantage even though it is an away game. They are catching Miami at at time when they are just starting out with a new coach. Perfect timing for the Aggies. And McGee is great! The main worry for the Aggies this year is if McGee decides to turn pro and make mucho money or stay his senior year.

Txbroadcaster
06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
The main worry for the Aggies this year is if McGee decides to turn pro and make mucho money or stay his senior year.

riiiiiggggghhhhhttttt

Gsquared
06-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Not at all! The Ags have the advantage even though it is an away game. They are catching Miami at at time when they are just starting out with a new coach. Perfect timing for the Aggies. And McGee is great! The main worry for the Aggies this year is if McGee decides to turn pro and make mucho money or stay his senior year.
I wish I could agree Phil but Miami has the athletes to give A&M fits. They are going to have a real hard time moving the ball. I do think the Ags have the defense to slow Miami though but in the end I dont think they are going to have enough. I think Miami takes it by two touchdowns. Losing to Miami on the road by two touchdowns or less is not failure by any means. I think this does alot for the program as long as they dont let the game get away from them.

Emerson1
06-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
playing them in the Orange Bowl is a death sentance
Literally

Emerson1
06-26-2007, 11:52 AM
You don't make mucho money drafted as Mr. Irrelevent

vet93
06-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Phil...McGee is not a pro qb at least at this time. He may develop but at this point I don't think it is likely that he will make the big bucks in the pros. I think that the Hurricanes will be hungry this year and they are looking at this game to give them some national prestige and revive a program that has been on the down swing. They will be jacked up to play the aggies and it will be very difficult for A&M to win this game, not impossible, but very difficult. I say that the advantage has to go to Miami for the above reason and home field. While I am an aggie fan, I also try to be a realist. In my opinion Phil's assesment is way off base...sorry Phil:)

Gsquared
06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by vet93
Phil...McGee is not a pro qb at least at this time. He may develop but at this point I don't think it is likely that he will make the big bucks in the pros. I think that the Hurricanes will be hungry this year and they are looking at this game to give them some national prestige and revive a program that has been on the down swing. They will be jacked up to play the aggies and it will be very difficult for A&M to win this game, not impossible, but very difficult. I say that the advantage has to go to Miami for the above reason and home field. While I am an aggie fan, I also try to be a realist. In my opinion Phil's assesment is way off base...sorry Phil:)
And again, Miami will once again have one of the best D lines and quickest defense in the land (LSU might be quicker).

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Stephen will stay.

Macarthur
06-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I think this is a facinating game. It's really a win-win situation for the Ags. If they go down there and win, they will surprise everyone. If they lose, it's almost expected.

As for the Canes, you never really know what you are going to get with new coaches. They were not playing very well last year, but they certainly have talent.

Someone mentioned speed. No question the Canes have speed, but the option offense of the Ags has a tendency to negate that because the defense has to read and hold to their responsiblities. Also, let's not forget, one publication ranked the Aggie OL as the 2nd best in the nation. They are very good up front. I think the Aggies will be able to run the football on everyone this year.

This will be a very interesting game.

KL3
06-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I hope you guys that are laughing at the thought of McGee leaving early know that Mel Kiper has him as the #2 ranked Jr. QB in the country.

That being said, unless we see dramatic improvement from him in the passing game, he ain't going pro.

Gsquared
06-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I think this is a facinating game. It's really a win-win situation for the Ags. If they go down there and win, they will surprise everyone. If they lose, it's almost expected.

As for the Canes, you never really know what you are going to get with new coaches. They were not playing very well last year, but they certainly have talent.

Someone mentioned speed. No question the Canes have speed, but the option offense of the Ags has a tendency to negate that because the defense has to read and hold to their responsiblities. Also, let's not forget, one publication ranked the Aggie OL as the 2nd best in the nation. They are very good up front. I think the Aggies will be able to run the football on everyone this year.

This will be a very interesting game.
Aggies will have one of the best o lines in the country, but, im serious when I say that the option is gonna be a touch row to hoe against the canes. They will be way better off going mid line.

AggiesAreWe
06-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Well I'll step on out there:

Aggies 23
Canes 17

LH Panther Mom
06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
Well I'll step on out there:

Aggies 23
Canes 17
:thinking: :thinking: Where did I put that ROFL smilie? ;)

big daddy russ
06-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Nobody really knows right now because nobody really knows where either program is.

If A&M can build on their success last season, then they'll be the favorite coming into the game this year. But on that note, there's been so much inconsistency with the A&M program as of late, we don't know if we're going to see an Aggie squad that's ready to take that next step to being a legitimate top- or second-tier team, or the one that we saw Reggie McNeal's senior year.

Same thing with Miami. They have just as many athletes at the Ags, but they haven't been disciplined at all and have become increasingly inconsistent on a game-to-game basis during the Coker era. Sure, they have a new coach in former DC Randy Shannon, but will he point them in a new direction or will it be more of the same?

Maybe Gary can shed some more light on this coming from the A&M side of things, but I'm not ready to say anything about the game just yet.

As a sidenote, I'll throw this out... G2's absolutely right about Miami having more speed (especially compared to A&M's defense), but as far as athletes go, I actually think that A&M may have a slight edge. Michael Goodson is, IMO, the most athletic RB in the country... even more athletic than Jamaal Charles, PJ Hill, Steve Slaton, Yvenson Bernard, and Darren McFadden.

JasperDog94
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Michael Goodson is, IMO, the most athletic RB in the country... even more athletic than Jamaal Charles,... Jamaal Charles hasn't lived up to the hype.

Gobbla2001
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Cody Wallace for President...

Emerson1
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Jamaal Charles hasn't lived up to the hype.
He did his freshman year, last year was a let down. He has been quoted though saying how he hated having to go in and out sharing carries. He has more confidence now that he is the number 1 man and will be getting a majority of the carries instead or 4 or 5 then coming out.

Gsquared
06-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Nobody really knows right now because nobody really knows where either program is.

If A&M can build on their success last season, then they'll be the favorite coming into the game this year. But on that note, there's been so much inconsistency with the A&M program as of late, we don't know if we're going to see an Aggie squad that's ready to take that next step to being a legitimate top- or second-tier team, or the one that we saw Reggie McNeal's senior year.

Same thing with Miami. They have just as many athletes at the Ags, but they haven't been disciplined at all and have become increasingly inconsistent on a game-to-game basis during the Coker era. Sure, they have a new coach in former DC Randy Shannon, but will he point them in a new direction or will it be more of the same?

Maybe Gary can shed some more light on this coming from the A&M side of things, but I'm not ready to say anything about the game just yet.

As a sidenote, I'll throw this out... G2's absolutely right about Miami having more speed (especially compared to A&M's defense), but as far as athletes go, I actually think that A&M may have a slight edge. Michael Goodson is, IMO, the most athletic RB in the country... even more athletic than Jamaal Charles, PJ Hill, Steve Slaton, Yvenson Bernard, and Darren McFadden.
This game could actually come down to the wire with A&M having a shot to win it in the end IF (and the aggies had problems with this last year) they do not give up the big plays. Again, I really want to see A&M win this one as a Texas football fan.

JasperDog94
06-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
This game could actually come down to the wire with A&M having a shot to win it in the end IF (and the aggies had problems with this last year) they do not give up the big plays. Again, I really want to see A&M win this one as a Texas football fan. I really want to root for A&M. Especially against Miami, but it's not gonna happen. I've lost all respect for Fran.:(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Defense is a lot bigger and faster this year, and we'll be able to run more Cover 1 and not have to sit back in a soft zone and give up big run plays. McGee has been able to air the ball out more efficiently as well, so new dimensions have been added to our offense and defense that weren't there last season and I think that it can push us to the top, or at least I hope.

No Show Jones
06-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Cover 1 against Miami would be bad. Those boys down in Miami are FAST!

DDBooger
06-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by No Show Jones
Cover 1 against Miami would be bad. Those boys down in Miami are FAST! was thinking the same thing, no matter how run down they have been, they can still fly! all the same, best of luck to you and your boys BBDE

Emerson1
06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
My prediction:

Gary gets PT

charlesrixey
06-26-2007, 06:36 PM

For some reason, i think McGe will stay for his final year

i think it would definately help his draft stock, unless he has an awesome season this year

No Show Jones
06-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
For some reason, i think McGe will stay for his final year

i think it would definately help his draft stock, unless he has an awesome season this year He has draft stock? Needs to work on his accuracy A LOT!

wedo
06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I think that overall a&m is a much better football team Then a couple of years ago! But I still think they are a year away from being big time contender. Im not just saying that b/c im a texas fan but Miami will have too many athletes for a&m, plus they will still be relatively young. The Youth and the lack of depth showed last year against Cal. I will say Miami by 21-10

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
My prediction:

Gary gets PT

You think I'm going to make the kickoff team, eh?

Emerson1
06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You think I'm going to make the kickoff team, eh?
No, you will be playing defense early into the 4th quarter. :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-26-2007, 07:53 PM
No, you will be playing defense early into the 4th quarter. :D

So you think we're going to be up by a lot then, is what you're saying?

Bulldog_12
06-26-2007, 10:40 PM
My prediction:

Gary gets PT

My prediction:

Gary gets cleated by a Miami Player before the game even starts.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
My prediction:

Gary gets cleated by a Miami Player before the game even starts.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Gsquared
06-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Defense is a lot bigger and faster this year, and we'll be able to run more Cover 1 and not have to sit back in a soft zone and give up big run plays. McGee has been able to air the ball out more efficiently as well, so new dimensions have been added to our offense and defense that weren't there last season and I think that it can push us to the top, or at least I hope.
Cover 2 against the canes or this game gets out of hand quick!

Macarthur
06-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by wedo
I think that overall a&m is a much better football team Then a couple of years ago! But I still think they are a year away from being big time contender. Im not just saying that b/c im a texas fan but Miami will have too many athletes for a&m, plus they will still be relatively young. The Youth and the lack of depth showed last year against Cal. I will say Miami by 21-10

I agree that Miami will always have athletes, but I think everyone is giving them a little too much credit.

There's a reason they have a new coach. They barely beat Houston & Duke. The lost to GT, VT & Mary, and barely beat Nevada in their bowl game. I just don't think this is going to be the hornets nest for the Aggies that it would have been a couple of years ago.

As for athletes, it's not like A&M is void of athletes. In fact, I think A&M's first 22 can match up with just about anyone. A&M's first 22 matched up fine against UT last fall. Now, A&M's challenge is building the depth that programs like UT & OU have, but their starting 22 have just as much talent as anyone.

We will have a much better guage on this game after Miami rolls out of Norman on 9/8. I personally think OU is going to drill them. If that happens, that should give A&M the confidence to go in there and compete.

injuredinmelee
06-27-2007, 09:23 AM
You don't make mucho money drafted as Mr. Irrelevent

you got to admit though its funny reading the stuff he either pulls out of his backside or god forbid he truly believes.

No Show Jones
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I agree that Miami will always have athletes, but I think everyone is giving them a little too much credit.

There's a reason they have a new coach. They barely beat Houston & Duke. The lost to GT, VT & Mary, and barely beat Nevada in their bowl game. I just don't think this is going to be the hornets nest for the Aggies that it would have been a couple of years ago.

As for athletes, it's not like A&M is void of athletes. In fact, I think A&M's first 22 can match up with just about anyone. A&M's first 22 matched up fine against UT last fall. Now, A&M's challenge is building the depth that programs like UT & OU have, but their starting 22 have just as much talent as anyone.

We will have a much better guage on this game after Miami rolls out of Norman on 9/8. I personally think OU is going to drill them. If that happens, that should give A&M the confidence to go in there and compete. They have new offensive coordinator Patrick Nix who is doing great things with that offense. Larry Coker wasn't that good of a coach and was hidden by the athletes that Miami had. The Canes will always bring a stellar defense to the game no matter the year. Randy Shannon is doing great things down there also and bringing a new attitude to Da U.

If you want to look at games from last season. A&M barely squeeked out a win against Army, got beat by Tech, got drilled by Cal.

Of course A&M's starting to can match up against anyone just not very well. They have come along way and should continue to get better. It's not about one season it's about consistency and building your program into a premiere one.

Chris Hart
06-27-2007, 09:44 AM
He has draft stock? Needs to work on his accuracy A LOT! Yeah, that shabby 62% completion percentage he had last year was only the best percentage in school history. He also led the nation in fewest INTs per attempt, only 2 in over 300 att. . He protects the ball, has the arm and the legs, he will be a great QB at the next level too. I just wish he would've gone to UT where the media would build up his draft stock for him, but he'll have to do it himself at A&M...

No Show Jones
06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Yeah, that shabby 62% completion percentage he had last year was only the best percentage in school history. He also led the nation in fewest INTs per attempt, only 2 in over 300 att. . He protects the ball, has the arm and the legs, he will be a great QB at the next level too. I just wish he would've gone to UT where the media would build up his draft stock for him, but he'll have to do it himself at A&M... That school's history isn't very good at QB. Stephen and Jordan on the same team in college at UT(*drooling over the thought*) I agree UT does a better job of getting a players name out.

Fotbol
06-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Miami won't be as strong as you think!

JasperDog94
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
I just wish he would've gone to UT where the media would build up his draft stock for him, but he'll have to do it himself at A&M... :rolleyes:

Macarthur
06-27-2007, 10:53 AM
[B]They have new offensive coordinator Patrick Nix who is doing great things with that offense. Larry Coker wasn't that good of a coach and was hidden by the athletes that Miami had. The Canes will always bring a stellar defense to the game no matter the year. Randy Shannon is doing great things down there also and bringing a new attitude to Da U.

Maybe, but you just don't know about new coaches. Remember how everyone was jazzed about Fran coming to A&M?

If you want to look at games from last season. A&M barely squeeked out a win against Army, got beat by Tech, got drilled by Cal.

No doubt; you can't always "compare" games. My point was not to draw a comparison to A&M, but to just show that regardless of the athletes, Miami has not been world beaters recently like they were in the past.

Of course A&M's starting to can match up against anyone just not very well.

Huh? :confused:

They have come along way and should continue to get better. It's not about one season it's about consistency and building your program into a premiere one.

Thanks for stating the obvious...;)

Serously though, I don't think either team's history is going to play into this one game. Miami is going to be Miami and I think A&M will come into the game very confident that they can go in there an win.