PDA

View Full Version : Earache question...

Ranger Mom
06-25-2007, 11:48 PM
I have a 7 y/o here, bawling because she has an earache.

Any home remedies that might ease her pain until her mom can get her to the Dr. tomorrow??

pirate4state
06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
do the newspaper funnel thingy

take a newspaper, make a funnel out of it, stick it in her ear and light it - do this near the sink!

kepdawg
06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Give her ice cream! It might not do anything for the earache, but at least she'll have ice cream!

Ranger Mom
06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Give her ice cream! It might not do anything for the earache, but at least she'll have ice cream!

Haha!! Actually, I had her eat a popsicle earlier to see if that would help....it did for a little bit.

She went to sleep, but just woke up about 5 minutes ago practically screaming.

sectionCwannabe
06-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
do the newspaper funnel thingy

take a newspaper, make a funnel out of it, stick it in her ear and light it - do this near the sink!

The make an ear candle, you can buy them at health food stores or Drug Emporium. They work very well. Its alot safer than news paper but is the same concept. I use them on my kids and myself all the time they are awesome. They cost about $3.00. I would say do both ears 1 candle in each ear if you just do one and not the other you will make that ear jealous and it will bug the crap out of you. trust me.

sectionCwannabe
06-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Haha!! Actually, I had her eat a popsicle earlier to see if that would help....it did for a little bit.

She went to sleep, but just woke up about 5 minutes ago practically screaming.

Walgreens or CVS may carry the ear candles, if either one of these are 24 hours may try and call them, Walmart does not carry them.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by sectionCwannabe
The make an ear candle, you can buy them at health food stores or Drug Emporium. They work very well. Its alot safer than news paper but is the same concept. I use them on my kids and myself all the time they are awesome. They cost about $3.00. I would say do both ears 1 candle in each ear if you just do one and not the other you will make that ear jealous and it will bug the crap out of you. trust me.

I might have to invest in some of those!! My daughter has an earache too, she was at the lake all weekend....but she's a "big girl"...she isn't crying....she's just fussy!!:p

kepdawg
06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
I still say go with the ice cream! I don't like the sound of setting the kids ear on fire!

pirate4state
06-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Walgreens or CVS may carry the ear candles, if either one of these are 24 hours may try and call them, Walmart does not carry them. and if there isn't one near you, the newspaper funnel will work so she can at least get some sleep tonight

Ranger Mom
06-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Walgreens or CVS may carry the ear candles, if either one of these are 24 hours may try and call them, Walmart does not carry them.

I'll tell her momma.....she can go get them. I'm going to bed!!:p

We have 2 Walgreens in Midland and the pharmacy on both are open 24 hours!

Ranger Mom
06-26-2007, 12:01 AM
and if there isn't one near you, the newspaper funnel will work so she can at least get some sleep tonight

Okay...I told Holly! So when you light it on fire...then what??

sectionCwannabe
06-26-2007, 12:02 AM
I might have to invest in some of those!! My daughter has an earache too, she was at the lake all weekend....but she's a "big girl"...she isn't crying....she's just fussy!!:p

I use them about 4 times a ear. I trimmed tree's for about a year. I found out about these and used them, I found peices of saw dust in the candle that came out of my head. After that anytime my ears hurt or the kids ears hurt i use ear candles, My youngest has never been treated with meds from ear infections, when they start to hurt i use one and within an hour her fever goes away and ear feels better saves me money too :D I use them about 6 times a year on myself

pirate4state
06-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Okay...I told Holly! So when you light it on fire...then what?? just let it burn down some and you should hear little popping noises that will be the air escaping and she should feel some relief - hell, i don't know .... i haven't had that done to me since i was a kid

Ranger Mom
06-26-2007, 12:05 AM
just let it burn down some and you should hear little popping noises that will be the air escaping and she should feel some relief - hell, i don't know .... i haven't had that done to me since i was a kid

I remember hearing at one time that you could blow smoke into someones ear that had an earache.

I guess that would be the same concept??

sectionCwannabe
06-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Okay...I told Holly! So when you light it on fire...then what??

use a paper plate and poke a hole in the middle and slip the candle through it. The insert the candle in the ear and lay down on your side. light the cangle and let it burn until there is only about 2 inches left your you begin to feel the head from the fire. Keep a pair scissors handy you will need to trim the burned pieces down so they dont fly off and land on anything, because they will stain everything.

sectionCwannabe
06-26-2007, 12:07 AM
I remember hearing at one time that you could blow smoke into someones ear that had an earache.

I guess that would be the same concept??

same concept but it creates a small vacum in your ear, after its done your ears feel so good and clean!

coiled2strike
06-26-2007, 12:08 AM
draws the air out thru the flame...my mom used to warm some mineral oil and pour it into my ear...

shankbear
06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
They used to blow cigarette smoke in a kid's ear when he had an earache. The nicotine would numb it. Now you would probably get a visit from CPS for doing this and exposing the kid to dreaded second hand smoke.

vet93
06-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I am sorry, from an anatomical and physiologic standpoint I do not see how an ear candle could have any positive effect other than warming the ear canal and tympanic membrane and the placebo effect. I remember reading a paper that basically said the same thing when they performed a therapeutic trial of ear candles. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all because of two principles 1) The placebo effect 2) 80% of patients with an ailment will get better with no therapy whatsoever.

Rabbit'93
06-26-2007, 12:09 PM
RM you might want to wait before going out and buying ear candles. Why ear candles are not a good idea. (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html)

Dogman_1969
06-26-2007, 12:10 PM
we have had many nights disturbed by earaches and this has always worked. Give the kid an age/wt appropriate dose of advil while you hard boil an egg. While the egg is still boiling hot, put it into a sock. Place the egg in sock to the affected ear. The heat and shape of the egg soothe the earache. There are also some drops that the doctor can prescribe that are handy to have in the medicine cabinet I think they have lidocaine in them. Of course if a kid has tubes or holes in the eardrum that haven't healed from tubes, you shouldn't put any drops into the canal unless instructed by your doc. Hope your child is feeling better soon.

Rabbit'93
06-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
we have had many nights disturbed by earaches and this has always worked. Give the kid an age/wt appropriate dose of advil while you hard boil an egg. While the egg is still boiling hot, put it into a sock. Place the egg in sock to the affected ear. The heat and shape of the egg soothe the earache. There are also some drops that the doctor can prescribe that are handy to have in the medicine cabinet I think they have lidocaine in them. Of course if a kid has tubes or holes in the eardrum that haven't healed from tubes, you shouldn't put any drops into the canal unless instructed by your doc. Hope your child is feeling better soon. interesting....do you leave the shell on or peel it off?

Dogman_1969
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
leave the shell on