PDA

View Full Version : sub varsity records...

maestro
06-25-2007, 10:35 AM
ok..

how important are these 9-1.....10-0 subvarsity football records in the grand scheme of things??

how does a parent of a third and fourth stringer feel about a frosh/jv team going 10-0 or 9-1 and Jr. not seeing the field very much??

there are very successful programs out there that win 7th grade-varsity....

i was just wondering how the communities feel about those types of records??

i'll take views from parents of pine riders....as well as first stringers...

what do these communities do with their late bloomers???

No Show Jones
06-25-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't buy into JV records because most freshmen who are good enough play varsity their soph year will not play JV. JV also can have juniors which will be seniors the next year and not get very much playing time or their position will be filled by sophomores on varsity or even the upcoming junior class.

LH Panther Mom
06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
I "mainly" only care when my sons are involved. :D

My middle son will be a Junior this coming season - started on Varsity his Sophomore year. "His" record to date is - 38-3-1.

7th - 9-0
8th - 8-0-1 (tie with Burnet)
9th - 8-1 (loss to Burnet)
10th - 13-2 (losses to Cuero and Wimberley AND earned a title ring)

Our JV the past two seasons has been undefeated & 2005 had ONE TD scored on them in district. (I think it was a defensive TD on a fumble.) A number of the 2005 JV players were starters this past year. And I would suspect there will be several 2006 JV players that earn starting or significant playing time this coming season.

Sub-varsity records don't necessarily mean diddly squat, but sometimes they can. (Just my $.02)

VWG
06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I think that a strong JV record is important.
Those JV kids "fill the gaps".
I have known kids on JV that were juniors and start on varsity their senior year and become all-district players. One kid I know went from a JV starter at 5'11" and became a 6'3" hitting monster at safety his senior year on varsity.
Success breeds success on all levels.

Matthew328
06-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I agree success breeds success....those 9-1 or 10-0 JV kids can either provide much needed depth as juniors on varsity or step in and fill some holes....

BILLYFRED0000
06-25-2007, 06:50 PM
It really depends on your system. At Celina, there are promising young guys that get playing time on those teams. For example, we have a guy going to be a JR this year at QB and he is pretty darn good. Probably will play varsity this year because we need a good backup. Last year he could have backed up as a soph but we had Dru, Seth, and D'anton and they all could start so what do you do with a fourth QB...? Celina has 3 subvarsity teams.
A fish and two JV's. That gets kids a lot of playing time and the coaches get to see who can play and who cannot. Last year we lost some linebackers and had a Freshman (Caleb Levy) come in and play great. But he did not start on the varsity. He got the call from the minors when we needed him. Those teams have only lost 1 game in the last 3 years I think and that is close to what the Varsity does. At Celina, there are no empty positions or teams.

thewyliefan
06-25-2007, 06:52 PM
i think to an extent they should be looked at with importance, but not too too much. i rememeber the team that won state for wylie in 04, when they were all on jv they went 0-10. didnt win a single game and ended up winning it all.

BILLYFRED0000
06-25-2007, 08:44 PM
In the end winning is winning at every level. You develop that mindset by winning and wanting to win. Celina has 16 state titles and you do not get those by just winning at the varsity level in one sport.

maestro
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
what do you do with your late bloomers???

how do you sell the winning at every level??

LH Panther Mom
06-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by maestro
what do you do with your late bloomers???

Mine haven't had that problem. :eek: :eek:

Tres Lobos
06-26-2007, 12:14 AM
I think jv and freshman records matter, this year were going to have 4 freshman on varsity, and their records are....

7th grade 9-0
8th grade 9-0
freshman 8-2

so they no how to win, and thats matters once they get up there, cuz when they lose in the playoffs they aren't just like well we still have 2 more years