PDA

View Full Version : AFI's Top 100 films

3afan
06-25-2007, 07:26 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19351746/

only 1 movie on the list made after 2000 ... "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," comes in at #50

No Show Jones
06-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Vincent: And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the ___ a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: Then what do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.
Jules: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.
Jules: Le Big-Mac. Ha ha ha ha. What do they call a Whopper?
Vincent: I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King.

Great quote from a great movie on the list!

Phil C
06-25-2007, 08:25 AM
A triumped up survey by people you never heard of. Any list without Dawn at Soccor should just be ignored and taken with a grain of salt.

:mad:

charlesrixey
06-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

only 1 movie on the list made after 2000 ... "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," comes in at #50

also rediculous

to have the first film and not the third shows how inaccurate this list is.

who is the AFI and why should anyone care?

Emerson1
06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
The American Film Institute

it's also a punk band

pirate4state
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
I have never seen Citizen Kane. Has anyone seen this movie? If so, is it THAT great??

AP Panther Fan
06-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't remember it....as a matter of fact, I don't know anything about most of those movies until you get to the ones in the 70-100 range...

I think this, like most lists, are subjective at best.

Phil C
06-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I have never seen Citizen Kane. Has anyone seen this movie? If so, is it THAT great??

I have seen it and it is a great movie even though I don't really think it is the great movie as the list makes it out to be. It is worth watching and is on television fairly regularly. It is based on the life of the famous newspaper publisher Randolph Hearst.

pirate4state
06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I don't remember it....as a matter of fact, I don't know anything about most of those movies until you get to the ones in the 70-100 range...

I think this, like most lists, are subjective at best.

I need to go back and count how many of those movies I've seen. It is quite a bit. :nerd: Just over half - 51 of them.

Thanks Phil - guess I'll have to see what all the hype is about.

Emerson1
06-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I had it on my queue for blockbuster online but took it off, it seems to make it's way to the top of every "Best movie of all time" list

pirate4state
06-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I had it on my queue for blockbuster online but took it off, it seems to make it's way to the top of every "Best movie of all time" list I feel all this pressure to watch this movie b/c I consider myself a movie buff and if it tops all these lists it's gotta be good, right? :nerd: LOL

Emerson1
06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
I'd much rather keep smallville at the top of my queue

PhiI C
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

I think that they wait over a period of time on the newer movies to see how history looks at them.

PhiI C
06-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Time is important. For example the 1946 Oscar Winner rated in the upper thirties on the list is The Best Years of Our Lives. It was about service men coming home from WW2 and many people understood the situation so this movie won out. Now the movie made that year called It's a Wonderful Life is considered more popular and better over time and is rated in the top 15 and yet it just barely broke even when first released.

PhiI C
06-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Billy Jack made in the 70s was one of the most popular moves ever made and had great business but I don't think it is on the list.

Pmoney
06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Where is The Boondock Saints??? its a great movie if some of you havent seen it

Emerson1
06-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Pmoney
Poor kitty

Pmoney
06-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Poor kitty
haha i liked the rope part

big daddy russ
06-25-2007, 12:09 PM
The reason everyone says it's so great is because of how groundbreaking it was. They did stuff like show ceilings in rooms (before this, everything was either filmed on location outside or in a studio without ceilings), used different lighting and backdrops, took better advantage of close-ups, etc.

It was actually based on the life of media mogul Randolph William Hearst and never 'made' it in theaters. Hearst hated the way it portrayed him (and rightfully so), and tried to buy the film from Orson Welles and have it burned. When he couldn't do that, he forbade his theaters from showing the movie (he owned quite a few movie theaters across the US during his time) and, although it did OK at the box office, it was, for the most part, a commercial flop.

It wasn't until about ten years later, when it was shown on TV, that it began to have a larger appeal. It had already revolutionized Hollywood, but the general public hadn't embraced it just yet. Not only did Citizen Kane have to go up against Hearst, lack of exposure, and everything else, it also had a problem bridging a culture gap. It was the first major movie to have a dark theme (it basically said that the pursuit of success leads to emptiness) and people back then didn't like it and weren't used to those kind of movies.

Anyways, over a decade later, Hollywood and mainstream America had come to accept darker themes. That's when Citizen Kane was shown on TV (if I remember correctly, it was 1953). It actually had such a huge response that the TV station (I think it was CBS) re-aired it a couple of weeks later before the production company recalled it from TV and re-released it in theaters on a limited basis.

It never did outstanding in theaters (whenever it was re-released, it wasn't on a mass scale), but generated so much of a buzz that Citizen Kane turned into the biggest cult classic of all time.

Not the most entertaining movie of all time, per se, just groundbreaking on all fronts.

BUT, if this movie is number one because it's groundbreaking, then why isn't Terminator 2 on the list? That movie was a whole hell of a lot better than LOTR and was the first to use CGI on a large scale. That's probably the second-most groundbreaking movie of all time.

Basically, the people who made this list have a taste (and too fond of a memory) of the oldies. Did you know that more major movies have been made between 1995 and right now (the past 12 years) than were made between 1970 and 1994 (25 years)? Used to, you'd have one or two releases a week during the summers. Nowadays, you have at least two major releases a week during the summer, anywhere from five to ten a week total anytime of the year. Don't try to tell me that only one movie from the 2000's is the in the best 100 of all time, when I browsed over at least five from the 70's.

Very skewed list, IMHO.

big daddy russ
06-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
That movie should be in every self-loving heterosexual man's movie collection as one of their top ten movies of all time. I just watched it again (for the 564th time) last night.

If you currently don't like the movie and want to challenge Pmoney's claim, please, first allow your balls to drop before making any official statements.

Phantom Stang
06-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Billy Jack made in the 70s was one of the most popular moves ever made and had great business but I don't think it is on the list.
I'll have to admit, I thought Billy Jack was a great movie when it first came out. However, I saw it a couple of years ago and thought it was dumb.